• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Top Ten Athletes in Cleveland

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who Is the Top Cleveland Athlete Not Named LeBron James?

• Joe Thomas

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Kevin Love

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Kyrie Irving

• Joe Haden

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Michael Brantley

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Corey Kluber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Mack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jordan Cameron

• Dion Waiters

• Other

• Total voters

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
While it's difficult to consider different athletes in different sports, I thought it'd be fun to reignite this debate once again. My first takeaway is how much better this list is than the last time I did one, when Josh Cribbs was included. Here are my choices with a short explanation on why - please share your thoughts and your own lists.

1) LeBron James - When the best basketball player in the NBA (and best in franchise history) returns and instantly makes takes you from the Lottery to championship contention, you get the #1 spot. The King has returned to #1.

2) Joe Thomas - Here is where we get a bit dicey. Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Michael Brantley, Corey Kluber, and the other Joe - Haden - could all be supported as #2 here. I'm going with Thomas, who has been selected to the Pro Bowl every year, is widely considered to be one of, if not the best Offensive Tackles in the NFL, and is likely to reach Canton when it's all said and done.

3) Kevin Love - We've heard the negatives - defense, empty stats, never been to the Playoffs - and surely there's a lot to debate about K-Love. At the same time you can't blame Love for the mess Minnesota became or for the lack of talent around him. He's arguably one of the top 10 or 15 players in the NBA right now, will only be 26 on Opening Night, and has never played with anyone nearly as talented as LeBron or Kyrie. It's a close call, but I'm going Love at #3.

4) Kyrie Irving - Like Love, we've gone over the negatives - poor defense, a tendency to play hero ball at times, some maturity issues - but boy oh boy is he talented. He's already one of the top point guards in the NBA and, with LeBron and Love, might be able to jump to being the very best in the near future. I give him the slight edge over Joe Haden here due to what he's been able to show on the national stage.

5) Joe Haden - He's one of the best Corners in the NFL, being named to the Pro Bowl for the first time last season. Haden hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do on the big stage, but he certainly seems like the type of player that would thrive under pressure.

6) Michael Brantley - It was close for me between Haden and Brantley and I could probably go either way. If he was a Yankee or a Dodger he'd be considered a star. He plays in Cleveland, so he remains one of the league's best-kept secrets. He's one of the best hitters in baseball, incredibly good in the clutch, and plays Gold Glove defense. If the Indians were able to protect him in the lineup better, who knows what he might be capable of.

7) Corey Kluber - Who saw this coming a year ago? His MLB ranks: ERA - 5th, WAR - 3rd, IP - 4th, WHIP - 11th, Strikeouts - 3rd. Kluber has turned into an ace this season and should finish 2nd to Felix Hernandez in the American League Cy Young voting. He's legit and should keep dominating for the Indians for years to come.

8) Alex Mack - Mack has turned into one of the best centers in football, reaching the Pro Bowl for the 2nd time in 2013. Alongside Thomas, Mack anchors the all-important offensive line for the Browns.

9) Jordan Cameron - Cameron caught 80 passes last season for 917 yards and 7 TDs, reaching the Pro Bowl for the first time. If the Browns ever get their QB situation settled, Cameron could become a breakout star.

10) Dion Waiters - I'm on board. I scratched my head when they drafted him, I wondered about his fit alongside Kyrie, and questioned if he would ever fit long-term here. I believe now, more than ever, after what I saw last season, after what I've heard about his improved work ethic, and knowing LeBron will bring the very best in him. Dion might make me look silly for listing him #10 here...for not listing him higher. The Big Three might become the Big Four if everything works out this season.

Notable Omissions

Josh Gordon - If you go by talent alone, he'd be a no-brainer. His two suspensions, off-field issues, and the fact that his career could be over with one more big mistake have me leaving him out of my top ten - for now.

Anderson Varejao - I considered him, but his durability issues hold him back both on the court and on my top ten list.

Jason Kipnis - He's certainly popular in Cleveland, but he's looked average this season. Hopefully it's injuries taking effect and not the reality of who he truly is as a player.

Ben Tate - Just haven't seen enough yet as an every-down back in Cleveland.

Yan Gomes - Don't laugh - he's quietly become one of the best hitting catchers in baseball - only Jonathan Lucroy has a higher OPS. But it's not enough for him to get on the top ten list.

Johnny Manziel - Sorry, can't make the list until you're a starter. Hopefully he vaults into the top ten soon.

i dont think its fair to compare football players to any other athlete. they are more than human.

Honestly, if we are talking pure athleticism, I think I'd have to go with Josh Gordon.

Joe Thomas approves this message.

In my mind Haden would be the 2nd best athlete in Cleveland behind LeBron. He has elite talent at his position, popular with the fans, and seems to support the community.

No mention of Shane Austin?

1. LeBron James
2. Joe Haden
3. Kyrie Irving
4. Kevin Love
5. Joe Thomas
6. Corey Kluber
7. Michael Brantley
8. Jordan Cameron
9. Anderson Varejao
10. Dion Waiters/Alex Mack tie

Stipe Miocic

mma_fuel_06_340.jpg

Honestly, if we are talking pure athleticism, I think I'd have to go with Josh Gordon.

LeBron is one of the greatest athletes to ever live and may be (with Wilt) the best physical speciman the NBA has ever seen. Randy Moss in the NBA with a bettter head on his shoulders.

Josh is probably the second most athletic WR in the NFL.

LeBron is one of the greatest athletes to ever live and may be (with Wilt) the best physical speciman the NBA has ever seen. Randy Moss in the NBA with a bettter head on his shoulders.

Josh is probably the second most athletic WR in the NFL.
"
Who Is the Top Cleveland Athlete Not Named LeBron James?"

Stipe Miocic

mma_fuel_06_340.jpg
Went to high school with this guy, although everyone called him Steven. Sat behind him in French class. Really nice dude. Beast athlete back then too. Played offense, defense and special teams for the football team. Also played baseball and was pretty good wrestler, although never attended those events. I'd put him at 10 for this list.

Went to high school with this guy, although everyone called him Steven. Sat behind him in French class. Really nice dude. Beast athlete back then too. Played offense, defense and special teams for the football team. Also played baseball and was pretty good wrestler, although never attended those events. I'd put him at 10 for this list.

He was a nationally ranked D-1 wrestler AND 3rd baseman for Cleveland State not to mention a Golden Gloves champion.

...And for those who don't follow MMA, Stipe is the number 9 ranked Heavyweight fighter IN THE WORLD. The athleticism MMA fighters in general have to possess in order to be successful in the sport, let alone being considered one of the Top 10 best on the planet at what you do makes this a no brainer for me. This video is a little dated but it will still give those who arent familiar with him an idea of what he is all about.

The top ATHLETE in Cleveland not named LeBron James is without a shadow of a doubt Stipe Miocic.
I have been fortunate enough to talk to him several times and he is such a down-to-earth guy and the dude is SO Cleveland. He uses MGK for walkout music and you will be hard-pressed to find him anywhere without wearing Cavs/Indians/Browns gear. Represents to the fullest.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."