• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Things I hate about today’s NBA

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PIP

1997-98 Armco Heating & Cooling Hornet
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Road jerseys worn by both teams...Irks my soul. Literally watching the Celtics play the Thunder and one is wearing green and the other blue...

Adam Silver is garbage.. Nike is hotter garbage..

I’m sure this is what it was like in the mid 90’s when teams started to introduce alternate uniforms — but I’m definitely ‘get off my lawn guy’ with this.

I also really miss the tight shorts, I can't see the player's packages anymore. I wish they'd wear spandex bike shorts.

What do you hate ?

I hate that LeBron is essentially a mutant Werewolf version of Wolverine out there and it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that his team has little chance to win the finals.

Great thread idea, @PIP !

One thing I hate is the trend to all this three point shooting. It's made the mid-range game almost non-existent except for a few players. In my opinion, it has been the root cause of this "positionless basketball" bullshit and has been the ruination of the center position and the true power forward position.

One thing I hate is the trend to all this three point shooting. It's made the mid-range game almost non-existent except for a few players. In my opinion, it has been the root cause of this "positionless basketball" bullshit and has been the ruination of the center position and the true power forward position.
Do we ever think there will be a shift back to an inside based game?

Why would you want to stand in the way of progress? This is like complaining about driverless cars.

Is that what we're calling it now? Progress?

I mean...a three pointer is worth more points than midrange 2 pointers and if guys can hit them less contested and when accounting for volume of shots taken they can score more points with shots close to the basket or three pointers...what’s the problem? Mid range shots are just bad shots if you don’t have to take them and avoiding them SHOULD lead to more ball movement...in theory. Of course, some guys will iso the ball to death. Other teams will move the ball beautifully like the Warriors and to a lesser extent the Spurs.

I’m not sure I understand the problem with positionless basketball or the need to fit players into a box?

I like the way the game has evolved and that players have been forced to become more versatile as time goes on.

Do you dislike the way LeBron, Giannis, Draymond, Embiid, Jokic, Porzingis play? Or the Warriors in general?

Those would all be examples of guys who would have confused the shit out of coaches in the 80’s and 90’s and are completely evolving the game.

Last edited:
I mean...a three pointer is worth more points than midrange 2 pointers and if guys can hit them less contested and when accounting for volume of shots taken they can score more points with shots close to the basket or three pointers...what’s the problem? Mid range shots are just bad shots if you don’t have to take them and avoiding them SHOULD lead to more ball movement...in theory. Of course, some guys will iso the ball to death. Other teams will move the ball beautifully like the Warriors and to a lesser extent the Spurs.

I’m not sure I understand the problem with positionless basketball or the need to fit players into a box?

I like the way the game has evolved and that players have been forced to become more versatile as time goes on.

Do you dislike the way LeBron, Giannis, Draymond, Embiid, Jokic, Porzingis play? Or the Warriors in general?

Those would all be examples of guys who would have confused the shit out of coaches in the 80’s and 90’s and are completely evolving the game.

It has evolved in a way, but 3pt shooting pretty much made every non 3pt shooter perimeter player redundant. Basketball should be much more than that on offense. There is a game in between that arguably requires more skill.

The only reason we hate the mid range game, guard post up game and every random move that involves good dribbling and on the fly thinking by the player is because it doesn't translate to winning basketball with the current rules. It can be, but right now, undeniably it doesn't. If we had no clue about advanced stats then we would have had no problem with that.

Basketball has become robotic and I know what every team is about to do on offense and that makes the game predictable and boring. Something needs to change. There needs to be more diversity and more all-around players.

Current trend increases the ceiling in a way but it also narrows the walls.

Last edited:
Kinda hate how soft this era is. I love some parts of this era better than the 90s, the one I grew up in.

Some of those games were shit, but I miss the real tough guy personalities. Players didn't constantly bitch having to play back-to-back games.

Today players are too pampered, too whiny, too sensitive.

I miss great post play the most. I enjoyed having real centers in the game. But that is pretty much dead, with the 3 point game.

Kinda hate how soft this era is. I love some parts of this era better than the 90s, the one I grew up in.

Some of those games were shit, but I miss the real tough guy personalities. Players didn't constantly bitch having to play back-to-back games.

Today players are too pampered, too whiny, too sensitive.

I miss great post play the most. I enjoyed having real centers in the game. But that is pretty much dead, with the 3 point game.

I do agree that today’s players are pussies.

Do you dislike the way LeBron, Giannis, Draymond, Embiid, Jokic, Porzingis play?

That would be nice team. Maybe toss in a true PG and that would be fun to watch.

Agreed on how soft the NBA is right now. I hate his ass, but guys like Draymond Green are the exception anymore instead of the norm like it was back in the 90s. Every team in the 80s/90s had at least 3-4 guys that would fuck you up for like no reason.

Ever since guys like Garnett, Kobe, and Artest have retired, I feel like there is a real lack of any heat in the league.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."