• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

TJ Ford cleared for full contact

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LyXo

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Doctor: Ford's prognosis excellent for normal career
ESPN.com news services

MILWAUKEE -- Point guard T.J. Ford, sidelined for more than a year with a bruised spinal cord, has medical clearance to take part in full-contact basketball for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Ford underwent cervical spine surgery in May 2004, three months after the rookie was injured during a game against Minnesota. He has been in rehabilitation ever since.

A statement Monday from Dr. Robert Watkins of the Los Angeles Spine Surgery Institute, said Ford has made a complete recovery.

"His prognosis is excellent for a normal basketball career," said Watkins, who performed the surgery.

Ford called it great news.

"I can't wait to get out on the floor and run up and down the court with my teammates," he said.

Ford told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that despite being cleared to practice, Ford has decided not to play in any pickup games at all until training camp this fall. Ford added that he has been working out with former NBA guard John Lucas in Houston three to four times a week to get in shape.

The news came as the Bucks prepared to use the top pick in Tuesday's NBA draft. They were expected to use the selection they won in the draft lottery to choose 7-foot center Andrew Bogut, an Australian who played two seasons at Utah.

Source | ESPN.com

Good for him to work hard on rehab and get back on the court. But this return spells further doom for the Cavs. With a potential lineup of:

Andrew Bogut
Joe Smith
Desmond Mason
Michael Redd
TJ Ford

Redd will likely stay. The Bucks will be a dangerous playoff team next season, and I don't see Redd leaving being the 1st option to be a 2nd option.

I'm glad to see his injury didn't end his career. I wonder how long it will take him to display the flashes of brilliance he showed as a rookie.

Im happy for TJ. He was looking like he would be a really good pg before the injury. I hope he can regain some of his speed and athleticism back.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."