• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tom Heckert joins Broncos

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Good pick up by the Broncos...

Why did we let this guy go again...? :thumbdown

Why did we let this guy go again...? :thumbdown

1.) He hasn't made a single move for Denver yet.

2.) Lombardi & Banner have done just fine this off-season

Not sure what the complaining is about, in all honesty..

This is also far less power than he had here.

where is the great Tom Heckert? He'd be running an organization in 5 minutes after we fire him. Oh he's not? Guess he wasn't that good!"
- Sports talk radio

I liked Heckert, he had a slow approach to building a team but I feel if he had the appropriate amount of time would have gotten us in a much more competitive situation. I questioned his move on Weeden because he's such a bad fit in a West Coast Offense but other than that, I think his moves were very solid. Glad he got an opportunity with Denver. Should be a good fit.

- Sports talk radio

I liked Heckert, he had a slow approach to building a team but I feel if he had the appropriate amount of time would have gotten us in a much more competitive situation. I questioned his move on Weeden because he's such a bad fit in a West Coast Offense but other than that, I think his moves were very solid. Glad he got an opportunity with Denver. Should be a good fit.

To be fair, he's still not running an organization. From the article:

Heckert will not have a position of major power in Denver with John Elway leading the football operations and Matt Russell also playing a key role.

Two things:

1) I hate to admit it, but Chris Fedor indicated (when he was with 850) that Heckert would have a tough time getting past a background check when he left the Browns. I'm not sure why, but it may have something to do with it.

2) He got "demoted".

I liked Tom and I wasn't happy to see him go; however, I'm on the side of who's in the Browns' front office, not who should be. Good luck to Tom and thanks for what he did, but getting upset about Tom's new job is just dwelling.

I remember Lane on ATI mentioning something about Heckert spending lots of quality time at Christie's, and the CLE gentleman's club circuit, in general. I DGAF about it, but that might be a red flag for someone trying to become the main decision-maker with regards to personnel, for a billion dollar NFL franchise.

I thought Holmgren was the guy who pulled the trigger on BW3 at #22 last year? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I just get so confused with this BS. Another reason why I am refreshed a bit by this new regime; as they have used the word 'consensus' a lot more.

Good luck to Heckert; I always liked him, and I think he would have built a very good team in CLE if given the chance without Tusky overruling him. I'm glad he's not going to a rival, as well. Also, keep in mind Denver was a great team last year, and made some big moves prior to Heckert's arrival; keep that in mind before people fellate Tom Heckert if/when the Broncos make it to the Super Bowl next year lol...

1.) He hasn't made a single move for Denver yet.

2.) Lombardi & Banner have done just fine this off-season

Not sure what the complaining is about, in all honesty..

Heckert accumulated more young talent for our organization than any other GM before him? Didn't say anything about Lombardi & Banner, who have indeed put together a good coaching team & nice pieces.

Not sure what the hating is about, in all honesty..

Good to see Heckert land with a good organization. I remember seeing a statistic about how rare it is for a former GM to get another chance at the same job- almost all end up taking a demotion of some kind and are rarely hired in the same capacity elsewhere. Seeing as Heckert had no real track record I can understand. I understand in a way why the Jimmah went in another direction- new owner, wants his own guys, etc.- but it doesn't mean Heckert earned a firing.

As for the consternation over the new regime, I think the recent exposing of the owner as a huckster has me smelling smoke. If this is the kind of guy he is, exactly then what are 'his kind of guys' then? Obviously I have no choice but to accept what they do and give them time, Im just a casual fan of this team, but the signs are still worrisome.

Heckert accumulated more young talent for our organization than any other GM before him? Didn't say anything about Lombardi & Banner, who have indeed put together a good coaching team & nice pieces.

Not sure what the hating is about, in all honesty..

Who's hating? I merely stated 2 facts.

Yes, he accumulated more young talent for our organization than any other GM before him. I think we all agree with that. But is that really saying much, considering who we did have before him? Hell, if we hit on 2 draft picks in each of his 3 years here, he would've brought in more talent than anyone else before him..

Fact is, we went 14-34 during his time here. I'm not saying it was all his fault in the least bit. Mangini shouldn't have had his last year here & Shurmur was forced on him.

Look, I'm a Heckert fan & didn't think he should've left. But with the facts that:

1.) It took him this long to find a job in which he won't have as much power as he did here.

And:

2.) Lombardi & Banner have done a great job this off-season...

It puts my mind at ease.

Last edited:
I remember Lane on ATI mentioning something about Heckert spending lots of quality time at Christie's, and the CLE gentleman's club circuit, in general. I DGAF about it, but that might be a red flag for someone trying to become the main decision-maker with regards to personnel, for a billion dollar NFL franchise.

I thought Holmgren was the guy who pulled the trigger on BW3 at #22 last year? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I just get so confused with this BS. Another reason why I am refreshed a bit by this new regime; as they have used the word 'consensus' a lot more.

Good luck to Heckert; I always liked him, and I think he would have built a very good team in CLE if given the chance without Tusky overruling him. I'm glad he's not going to a rival, as well. Also, keep in mind Denver was a great team last year, and made some big moves prior to Heckert's arrival; keep that in mind before people fellate Tom Heckert if/when the Broncos make it to the Super Bowl next year lol...

Between Tom Heckert and George Kokinis, I wonder who is more of a party-animal, fired General Manager. Does anyone know if Dwight Clark drops acid with hookers or if Phil Savage is a regular at Burning Man?

Classic Broncos picking up our scraps.

In this case filet mignon scraps.

Homgren shopped at half price books.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."