• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Trae Young

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jstock12

Sixth Man
Reaction score
At what point does the sample size become significant?

38.6% from the field
22.6% from three (24/106)

This was supposed to be his strength.

Do you think it's because he's still adjusting to the NBA length/athletes? He had a plus/minus of -35 tonight...

Also last in the league in DRPM...by a lot.

Looking like a bust. And not even a Lonzo bust where he's actually still a handy roleplayer...just an absolute bust.

Way to early to call him a bust, he is a 19 year old in the NBA. But, this off season will be huge for him as he needs to work on his shot and adjustments tot he nba and the size of their athletes

He's exactly what his floor was. His size didn't allow his skills to translate. Yearly, if you look at top scorers in the NCAA, quite frequently you'll get non-NBA sized players.

Saw he is shooting catch and shoot at 40% and of the dribble in the teens. He will probably be fine,but he needs to work on shot selection

Kinda weird a guy who sees the floor run well it's having this type of trouble

His playmaking is his only redeeming quality so far. That and his ability to get inside the lane with his shiftiness, ball handling and quickness. Though he is too small to take advantage of it, so when he goes inside he always tries to look for someone to pass.

He will look much better when surrounded by good players and a good strengthening program will do him good. Unfortunately he will always be a defensive liability and i'm afraid that his defensive shortcomings will get exposed in playoffs settings even if he becomes an all-star caliber regular season player.

Way too early to judge his offence (shooting included), but the defense to me is a done deal. Like I said in the draft thread a few months ago, he will need to be surrounded by a great defensive team similar to what GSW did with Curry, and Young is a worse defensive player. Hawks will have to build a good team around him on both ends.

At what point does the sample size become significant?

38.6% from the field
22.6% from three (24/106)

This was supposed to be his strength.

Do you think it's because he's still adjusting to the NBA length/athletes? He had a plus/minus of -35 tonight...
Oh, so he got all 24 of those 3s when he played the Cavs? (At least it felt like that)

Oh, so he got all 24 of those 3s when he played the Cavs? (At least it felt like that)
Dude is a straight up Cavs killer. Was surprised how bad he has been in general

Two semi-encouraging things from Young...

1. He's an excellent passer and playmaker. 12.2 assists/100 possessions with a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio is real solid for a 20-year-old playing on a team with virtually no finishers whatsoever.

2. 32% of his field goals have come at the rim and he's shooting .575 at the rim. One of the biggest question marks surrounding Young in the pre-draft process was a sense that he wasn't athletic enough to get to the rim and finish. Thus far, that hasn't been the case at all. On top of getting to the rim, he's also shown the ability to draw a lot of fouls, 6.2 FTA/100 possessions.

He's a bottom of the league awful defender and he's shot the three ball unbelievably bad so far this year, but there are some things he can build on.

If he finds his legs as a shooter, he'll be more than fine offensively.

Two semi-encouraging things from Young...

1. He's an excellent passer and playmaker. 12.2 assists/100 possessions with a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio is real solid for a 20-year-old playing on a team with virtually no finishers whatsoever.

2. 32% of his field goals have come at the rim and he's shooting .575 at the rim. One of the biggest question marks surrounding Young in the pre-draft process was a sense that he wasn't athletic enough to get to the rim and finish. Thus far, that hasn't been the case at all. On top of getting to the rim, he's also shown the ability to draw a lot of fouls, 6.2 FTA/100 possessions.

He's a bottom of the league awful defender and he's shot the three ball unbelievably bad so far this year, but there are some things he can build on.

If he finds his legs as a shooter, he'll be more than fine offensively.
I thought his big claim to fame WAS his 3 pt shooting? I didnt watch tons of him in college but the highlights i did see he was splashing 3s from everywhere. Strange that he is so bad at it now.

He will look much better when surrounded by good players and a good strengthening program will do him good. Unfortunately he will always be a defensive liability and i'm afraid that his defensive shortcomings will get exposed in playoffs settings even if he becomes an all-star caliber regular season player.

Way too early to judge his offence (shooting included), but the defense to me is a done deal. Like I said in the draft thread a few months ago, he will need to be surrounded by a great defensive team similar to what GSW did with Curry, and Young is a worse defensive player. Hawks will have to build a good team around him on both ends.

I think his absolute ceiling is an Isaiah Thomas-type impact. In the regular season, he may be able to put up some really great points/assist numbers by feasting off poor defenses. But come playoffs, his offensive impact will be greatly reduced by the better defenses, and he'll be massively exposed on the other end.

I agree young, raw point guards need time to show what they can really be, and it's too soon to jump to a conclusion.

The best way to develop a 19 year old point guard is to force feed minutes and live with the consequences. In the case of Young and Sexton, there isn't a lot of quality play from other teammates to make the job easier. The Hawks want VC and Bazemore taking pressure off as vets, with Prince and Collins as the new core developing with Young. Against bad teams, Young can handle it. Against good teams he has looked awful.

The same can technically be said with the Cavaliers rebuild: They see some success against bad teams but struggled against better competition. Cavs have finally started to find some juice, likely because they found some urgency to get better as a group instead of sulking. Atlanta as a group hasn't found that.

I liked Sexton a little better than Young before the draft because of defensive motor alone. It's too early to tell if that was the right call. They both need to work on their flaws.

I have no doubt that if he dials back his usage, he can average an efficient 15 points and 8 assists per game someday, and that's positive offensive impact. The problem is, positive offensive impact isn't going to cut it if he's literally the worst defensive player in the entire NBA. He either needs to develop into a top-5 offensive player in the league, or he needs to show some basic level of competence on defense. Signs have been very discouraging so far on both fronts.

I have no doubt that if he dials back his usage, he can average an efficient 15 points and 8 assists per game someday, and that's positive offensive impact. The problem is, positive offensive impact isn't going to cut it if he's literally the worst defensive player in the entire NBA. He either needs to develop into a top-5 offensive player in the league, or he needs to show some basic level of competence on defense. Signs have been very discouraging so far on both fronts.

If Young doesn't improve his shooting, nothing else is going to matter too much. He's never going to be a good defender, so like you said he has to be a monster offensively to make up for it.

That said...

I'm more confident Trae will become a good shooter than I am Sexton will become a good playmaker.

If Young doesn't improve his shooting, nothing else is going to matter too much. He's never going to be a good defender, so like you said he has to be a monster offensively to make up for it.

That said...

I'm more confident Trae will become a good shooter than I am Sexton will become a good playmaker.

I think Trae already is a good shooter, just not a great one. He's taking incredibly difficult shots. But he has to take those shots, because there's no place in the league for a 2nd/3rd option scorer who's also an abysmal defender. Given that, he's probably fucked.

Agree that Sexton will probably never be a good playmaker, but he could be a great scorer, an adequate playmaker, and an adequate defender, and it's possible to build around that kind of player.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."