• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Twin Peaks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

kosis

Creeping like Sharia
Reaction score
Not sure if this show will get the traffic of warranting a new thread, but I figure I'd give it a shot. Twin Peaks is coming back 26 years later starting on Sunday on Showtime. I won't explain the plot of the show, because there are plenty of resources around for that, but it's in essence a David Lynch/Mark Frost created cult classic TV show that has inspired a huge chunk of television that we watch today. The fact that it is coming back after such a hiatus with most of the core cast intact is a pretty remarkable achievement.

It lends itself to mystery, intrigue, and much theorizing... so feel free to post here if you want to discuss the episodes. Posting the most recent promo below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdRG0mJj-w

I tried watching it late last year and couldn't get it to it. I gave it an episode and a half and just wasn't feeling it. It was almost too quirky.

I also have trouble getting into shows that aren't current because, as shallow as it is, I'm distracted by the shitty technology, quality of picture, etc and have trouble settling into the show a lot of the time. I need to be fully immersed in a show to stick with it. I even find that when I go back and watch shows that I liked when I was younger (X-Files is a good example), I feel the same way. I'd rather just watch current stuff.

Maybe I'd be better off trying it this time around...

I tried watching it late last year and couldn't get it to it. I gave it an episode and a half and just wasn't feeling it. It was almost too quirky.

I also have trouble getting into shows that aren't current because, as shallow as it is, I'm distracted by the shitty technology, quality of picture, etc and have trouble settling into the show a lot of the time. I need to be fully immersed in a show to stick with it. I even find that when I go back and watch shows that I liked when I was younger (X-Files is a good example), I feel the same way. I'd rather just watch current stuff.

Yeah I'm not mad at that as it can happen to me too. This is just one of those that I caught after the fact when I was in high school. It was still a relatively fresh structure. Part drama, part police procedural, part comedy, part horror. Plus some amazing lines:

"Who's that woman with the log?"
"We call her the log lady."

Terrible restaurant.

I felt the same way when I tried to watch it. I think TV has just evolved so much since then that it's difficult to go back and watch a lot of older shows.

I felt the same way when I tried to watch it. I think TV has just evolved so much since then that it's difficult to go back and watch a lot of older shows.
Exactly. TV is like the NBA. Just like Tyler Zeller would kick Michael Jordan's ass and steal his lunch money on the court, all currently produced shows are significantly better than ANY show from 20 years ago. It's so obvious.

Exactly. TV is like the NBA. Just like Tyler Zeller would kick Michael Jordan's ass and steal his lunch money on the court, all currently produced shows are significantly better than ANY show from 20 years ago. It's so obvious.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that some shows show their age more than others, and Twin Peaks felt that way for me. That's also why I said "a lot of older shows" and not "all older shows." Some hold up. Some don't. And a lot of it is preference-based, as are most things. I grew up on The Wire and The Shield, which makes it all the harder to go back and watch older cop/detective shows.

I also think it's a lot easier to go back and watch old shows you've already seen than it is to watch an old show for the first time. With the former, there's a nostalgia factor at play. With the latter, you'll likely find yourself comparing it to more recent shows that have tackled a similar genre or concept better.

And to add to that, I think TV is one of the rare mediums where, if you were to poll people on the best shows ever made, the overwhelming majority of them would be made from the year 2000 to now, or at least have ended after the millennium (I see you, Oz and The Sopranos). Yeah, you'll get a handful that aren't, but TV as a storytelling medium really evolved in the late nineties and early 2000's into what it is today. Prior to that, shows were much more primitive, procedural, and lower-budget, and there weren't nearly as many cable networks making compelling television. Cable dramas in general didn't really become a thing until HBO gave us Oz and Sopranos. Now there are dozens of cable channels offering compelling shows.

You'd get no such consensus if you polled the same people on books and films.

Last edited:

You seem defensive.

Production wise, I agree that Twin Peaks, just like any other show from the late 80's/early 90's, can look canny or outdated... but I feel like the originality separates it from the forgettable shows. It's still a very unique viewing experience.

Plus, the new season is coming out Sunday. So we'll have the modern production from here on out. It can't NOT be good. (Fingers crossed)

First season of twin peaks is amazing. Second season was trash. Hopefully they capture the original flair

Liked Season 1. Some cringeworthy moments, but overall it was entertaining.

I couldn't do Season 2. Quit about 15 minutes into the first episode.

I'm looking forward to this, though.

First season of twin peaks is amazing. Second season was trash. Hopefully they capture the original flair

Yeah, second season was mostly garbage for so many reasons. Still, there's some decent stuff in the first 7 episodes. Everything afterwards is... yeah. The finale in the Black Lodge was cool though.

You seem defensive.
Actually, it wasn't so much a defensive retort against Jack as it was a back-handed, sarcastic jab at FrontPageNews who seems to think that all the great players from more than about 25 years ago would suck in today's NBA because most of today's players are better.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."