• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tyreke Evans

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cavsfever

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Check this out from Woj's column at ESPN:

"Memphis wants to find a first-round pick for Tyreke Evans, but that is likely to prove difficult. The Grizzlies have missed in several drafts on first-rounders, including the waiving of 2015 No. 17 pick Wade Baldwin, and need to replenish their stock of picks. As a rental on an expiring deal, it is hard to imagine Evans delivering that kind of a return."​

Memphis might let him go for cheap because they don't have Bird rights and will find it hard to re-sign him. I would certainly trade *our* first round pick for Evans. Dude is 28, having the best offensive season of his career and statistically is looking like one of the top SGs in the league. His per-36 numbers are 23/6/5 on 41.6% shooting from 3 (50% from 2), he's defending reasonably well, and he looks healthy and is playing the game the right way. He has good size at 6'6 and is the kind of perimeter player we need. We have to shake things up and he would be a great acquisition IMO.

The problem is that we wouldn't acquire his Bird rights in a trade either and that would make it very tough to re-sign him unless we were somehow able to dump a bunch of salary. (A price we are paying for our trio of lousy contracts, TT-Shump-JR). Especially if we were going to keep IT. Maybe there is some salary cap wizardry we could do but I don't know what. That makes it really tough to justify trading the Nets pick for him

But he could make a major difference this season, and could be the difference between a fourth straight trip to the Finals and falling short.

Check this out from Woj's column at ESPN:

"Memphis wants to find a first-round pick for Tyreke Evans, but that is likely to prove difficult. The Grizzlies have missed in several drafts on first-rounders, including the waiving of 2015 No. 17 pick Wade Baldwin, and need to replenish their stock of picks. As a rental on an expiring deal, it is hard to imagine Evans delivering that kind of a return."​

Memphis might let him go for cheap because they don't have Bird rights and will find it hard to re-sign him. I would certainly trade *our* first round pick for Evans. Dude is 28, having the best offensive season of his career and statistically is looking like one of the top SGs in the league. His per-36 numbers are 23/6/5 on 41.6% shooting from 3 (50% from 2), he's defending reasonably well, and he looks healthy and is playing the game the right way. He has good size at 6'6 and is the kind of perimeter player we need. We have to shake things up and he would be a great acquisition IMO.

The problem is that we wouldn't acquire his Bird rights in a trade either and that would make it very tough to re-sign him unless we were somehow able to dump a bunch of salary. (A price we are paying for our trio of lousy contracts, TT-Shump-JR). Especially if we were going to keep IT. Maybe there is some salary cap wizardry we could do but I don't know what. That makes it really tough to justify trading the Nets pick for him

But he could make a major difference this season, and could be the difference between a fourth straight trip to the Finals and falling short.

I was a huge proponent of getting Evans this past offseason... Was furious that we passed on him, and I also didn't see a reason to bring over Cedi this year either...

But I think that ship, unfortunately, has sailed.

Without his Bird Rights... we'd be trading a first for a guy who is guaranteed to walk in the offseason. That's hard to envision...

I mean.. unless we think we can sign him with the MLE this upcoming season? $11M/2Y? But I doubt he'd take that, some team will at least offer him twice that amount...

I only sign on (lol, like that matters) to getting Tyreke if it means Wade moves into the starting lineup. The guy needs the ball in his hands.

With that said, frankly, regardless of Tyreke, there should be serious discussions right now regarding making Wade a starter. He has been the team’s best defender and second best offensive player this season. He is the only wing we have capable of covering IT. And he plays best with other offensive options. THis means he can cut to the rim freely, or, he has a gravity increase to prevent him from cutting, thus freeing IT and LeBron.

We obviously missed a huge opportunity when we passed on him this off season. Short-sighted. Not sure of exactly what we could have paid him, but he's making only $1 million more this year than DRose or Calderon. (He's making a bit over $3 million, they are making a bit over $2 million each). Seems like we could have managed it somehow.

But thinking about this year: isn't a trip to the Finals worth a late first round pick, especially when we have the Nets pick to fall back on this year? He could definitely be that much of a difference maker.

In terms of re-signing him -- as you say, it would be near impossible to do, and the reason is that we have $43 FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS locked up in TT, JR, and Shump. That's rough. But if we could manage to dump some of those contracts and if IT somehow doesn't work out, then we could maybe re-sign him. Kind of a long shot insurance policy I guess.

Tyreke is a move... the Cavs would still need a good wing defender and another big.

Tyreke isn't a star wing defender but he's clearly a significant defensive upgrade from our current version of JR.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."