• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

USA vs Belgium

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BMAN

All-Star
Reaction score
Anyone else going to Cleveland Browns stadium for it tonight?! I'll be going and may be drunk.

Won't be able to watch the game unfortunately, got an exam tomorrow and gotta get some sleep...
If you like other sports you should check out the game, our Red Devils are a pretty exciting young team and if USA doesn't bring it we might very well kick your butts :)
Sincerely,
Cavs fan from Brussels

Want to go but too poor for a ticket. Will be watching on TV, and specifically will be looking at Eden Hazard from Belgium. He is probably my favorite young player right now, simply incredible to watch.

But go USA :cool:

I was there. Had a nice tailgate and pretty decent crowd. Too bad the boys only played well for about 10 minutes. Gotta get lots better.

I went. Was about 10 rows up. For 30 bucks, can't beat that. The team played awful, though.

I almost wish Germany had their full squad for Sunday just to see how ugly it would get

Jesus Christ, is this country bad at soccer. I mean, it's been going on for what...since the beginning of soccer? A lot of soccer players are great athletes, just very stubby. We're pretty good at tennis. We should start sending these well-conditioned, massive-legged athletes over to the tennis courts. Stop wasting their talents.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for the US to just decline to field soccer teams and actually take advantage of these athletes in a sport where we have some level of historic success.

Last edited:
The fact is soccer is not apart of the US's culture as it is in other countries. Our best athletes don't grow up dreaming to be the next Messi, Ronaldo, etc. We idolize our basketball, football, and baseball players the most. We don't have the right set up in the youth systems as well to compete with other countries, who have numerous soccer academies where kids go to play soccer & do school on the side.

Belgium is a vastly superior team to the US in terms of talent. They have multiple European stars on their team in Fellaini, Kompany, Vermaelen, Dembele, Hazard, Van Buyten, and Vertonghen. The US has two players on their team in Dempsey and Tim Howard that plays at high level competition (Tottenham & Everton). When you add in the fact that everybody else on these teams plays somewhere in Europe, and most of our players play in the MLS, we should indeed lose to most of these teams. I would say the US is still about 20 years away from seriously competing with these teams, and it may take even longer sadly.

Notes on the game: The US made defensive mistakes as usual that directly led to 3 goals. Without those mistakes, it's a much closer game. Although we looked bad, it wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. The US has made massive strides in possession of the ball, and we actually had some nice ball movement at times. We scored on a set piece, which is bright for our team as that's always been one of our strongest points. Beasley played well in the back, but the other defenders were pretty pathetic. The midfield played well for the US and helped keep nice possession at times, while the attacking players including Altidore made little impact on the game.

Stupid mistakes on the defensive side cost the US again. Time and time again, it just seems that our defense does not have the mental resolve to play against the top countries. The one thing that really sticks out to me is that we do not have the athletes to match up with the world. Other teams are bigger, faster and stronger than our guys which makes absolutely zero sense.

I dont think we will ever compete at a high level against the world. We grow our players in vastly different systems. Yes, there are more academies that are popping up over the states, but the majority of families and kids don't want to be sent off hundreds of miles away to play soccer. They don't understand that playing high school soccer is not good enough. Playing at American colleges is not good enough. World players are playing against the world's top players from age 12 and up.

We are ranked 33rd in FIFA nation rankings, and we played like it.

I actually went(was required to go by my wife). :chuckles: Was mildly entertained by the fans...still think it's too boring.

I actually went(was required to go by my wife). :chuckles: Was mildly entertained by the fans...still think it's too boring.

See, I used to think so too, but then I watched the World Cup in South Africa. Goals can come at any moment, and they are usually exciting. Best part is seeing the home crowd just jump all at once on a goal.

It's pretty much a slower version of hockey.

I didn't really know what was going on. My friends are pretty big fans of soccer so that's why I went. I had to keep asking them what the hell was going on. Oh, I was totally drunk. And Belgiums uniforms were pretty sick not going to lie.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."