• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Verba To Hold Out

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fundamentals

Rookie
Reaction score
Verba a holdout from Browns practices
Reported by Jim Donovan
Thursday, May 26, 2005

BEREA -- Browns lineman Ross Verba will hold out from the team until his contract is redone.

The starting left tackle is not participating in team practices.

The dispute stems from when Verba tore a bicep and didn't play. At that time, he renegotiated his contract to give the Browns salary-cap relief.

Verba feels he has helped the Browns, and now he wants to be repaid.

WKYC- Verba To Hold Out

What a freakin' joke. I couldn't believe this when I heard it earlier. There's a report that Ryan Tucker also was away from camp over money issues.
These are 2 average OT's who are no better than in the middle of the pack among all the starting OT's in the NFL.
It's amazing players who have been part of one of the most pathetic offensive lines in the league are looking for more money. How could the Browns have managed to go 3-13 without the great contributions of these two?

Tucker is above average and has some leverage, but Verba does not. He is a guard that is forced to play LT and does OK at it.

If he holds out, screw him....let him sit and not get paid. Same thing with Ruben, you arent going to bully the new front office.

Verba can easily be replaced.....especially with LJ Shelton just being released by Arizona, there is a starting LT on the market that wont cost a lot. Verba is picking the wrong time to do this.

Ha, should I ask him about it at work? I mean, he is my owner and comes in like everyday.

actually im glad to say droughns came to the manditory camps.

Yes, cut Verba, sign Shelton, or anyone better than Verba.

Cut Verba? No...just let him sit til he feels like playing.

I would, be he would just cause a distraction. And plus, we just signed Shelton, so all Verba can do is be backup at either LT, or LG. Plus, I think that he burned all his bridges.

Verba is a very very good guard, he would man handle Druzzi or Coleman, so he wont be backing up at either spot.

He is a good LT as well and its no guarantee that Shelton can beat him out for that starting spot at LT.

If Verba decides to come back we can move Verba to G and start Shelton at LT or move Shelton to RT and move Tucker to a guard spot.

But we do need Verba to come back, dont get it twisted.

i think we could all say that now that we have landed shelton and made verba/adruzzi/coleman compete for the guard spots we would have a good line.

browns give verba ok to look for trade. we could really use this guy but if he has no loyalty then bye-bye. i like the clean house attitude of savidge and crennel.

Verba given permission to seek trade
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter
The Browns have given disgruntled left tackle Ross Verba permission to talk to other teams willing to trade for him.

They filed the necessary paperwork with the NFL office on Saturday, the same day L.J. Shelton signed a one-year contract, ostensibly to replace Verba.

General Manager Phil Savage said on Monday that the Browns have not formally closed the door on Verba returning to the team, but trading him would be the preference.

Advertisement

Chicago, Houston and Kansas City are teams still looking to upgrade their offensive lines.

In the meantime, Verba has been excused from participating in any team-related activities. He will not be fined for being absent from coach Romeo Crennel's mandatory minicamp next week, Savage said.

Verba's public comments stat- ing his displeasure with his contract situation rankled the Browns' top brass. It is fairly obvious that Verba has talked himself off the team.

The question is how long the Browns would work to try to get something in return for him. Technically, they could hold out for a trade all the way to the league deadline in October. Such a strategy would keep Verba from earning game checks for half a season.

Savage said he has been unable to reach Tom Condon, Verba's agent, to discuss the best way to terminate his Browns career.

In Shelton, the Browns get a player who is two years younger than Verba and who has started 77 NFL games, mostly at left tackle.

Shelton's conditioning reportedly got him off on the wrong foot with Arizona coach Dennis Green last year.

Savage said Shelton looked "OK," in the team's recent workout, "and obviously we'll have from now until training camp to work with him."

"L.J. came out of Eastern Michigan and was a first-rounder drafted on potential [in 1999]," Savage said. "He's experienced and has versatility. I think now that he is in a different environment, this will be a case of a change of scenery doing him good."

Shelton is expected to join his new team today for the resumption of Crennel's "passing camp" practices.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

tgrossi@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

its to bad all guys got to have ego problems. maybe hes scared of competition or something. having him at a guard spot looks so much better on paper than what we have now, but its not going to happen.

we just signed marcus spears from the texans, nothing special but solid, so it looks as if the team is already moving on without verba.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."