• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

W Cleveland 96 Boston 86 Pre-season

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LyXo

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
PRE-SEASON​
cle.gif
vs
bos.gif

Cleveland Cavaliers (1 - 0) VS Boston Celtics (0 - 0)

Tuesday, October 11, 2005
7:30pm ET
Radio : WTAM 1100
Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA

Head Coaches
mike_brown.jpg
doc_rivers.jpg

Mike Brown / Doc Rivers

Probable Staters
damon_jones.jpg
dan_dickau.jpg

Damon Jones / Dan Dickau

larry_hughes.jpg
paul_pierce.jpg

Larry Hughes / Paul Pierce

lebron_james.jpg
ricky_davis.jpg

LeBron James / Ricky Davis

drew_gooden.jpg
al_jefferson.jpg

Drew Gooden / Al Jefferson

zydrunas_ilgauskas.jpg
raef_lafrentz.jpg

Zydrunas Ilgauskas / Raef LaFrentz

Cleveland Cavaliers Bench
eric_snow.jpg
luke_jackson.jpg
aleksandar_pavlovic.jpg
donyell_marshall.jpg
alan_henderson.jpg

Eric Snow / Luke Jackson / Sasha Pavlovic / Donyell Marshall / Alan Henderson

Washington Wizards Bench
delonte_west.jpg
tony_allen.jpg
gerald_green.jpg
brian_scalabrine.jpg
mark_blount.jpg

Delonte West / Tony Allen / Gerald Green / Brian Scalabrine / Mark Blount​

Cleveland Cavaliers' Notes
* Fresh off a win against Washington, the Cavs go on to their second preseason game against their "rivals," the Boston Celtics.

* Hughes did poorly last game because he got challenged mentally by the crowd. It's up to him to rebound and come up with a big game today to show a glimpse of why we paid him 60 million.

* Ekezie got the minutes last game for the big man spot. Will this trend continue? Or will we see Mengke Bateer or Zendon Hamilton?

* Last roster spot: Will it be Kelenna, Wilks, or Rivera? Each got their share of minutes last night, but none really stood out. Kelenna nulled his shots by getting blocked a couple times, while Wilks/Rivera had uneventful minutes in general.

* Will Mike Brown experiment with the starting lineup? I can see him shuffling Snow and Jones throughout the pre-season to see who fits better with the unit.

* Gooden needs to prove himself consistent. Let's see if he can do it. And let's see Marshall rain down more trey's.

* Luke and Sasha battle will intensify. With Luke coming off a great "first" game, can Sasha rebound and match that intensity? We might see 2-3 treys from Sasha this time around.

Boston Celtics' Notes
* Boston welcomes in Dickau, Scalabrine and Green in the Celtic green. No longer present are Gary Payton and Antoine Walker, key contributors to their playoff run last year.

* What will Pierce do? With all these trade rumors flying around, how will he react on the court? He says he wants to be a Celtic for the rest of his career, he needs to prove it.

* How will things change with Ricky Davis starting? Will he start? At Cleveland, his ego got the best of him, but it was quite downsized last year and he did extremely well. Will it re-inflate if he's given the nod?

* Gerald Green will be fun to watch. What will he do with his minutes? Can he prove himself to be worth the minutes in the regular season? Or does he need further development?

* Now that Antoine is shipped out, Al Jefferson assumes the starting PF position. He was a beast last year, we'll see if he can continue his development this year

* Biggest competition: the starting PG. With Payton gone, Delonte West looks like the favorite through incumbency, but newly signed Dickau has shown that he can run an offense and will definitely compete for minutes and maybe even the job. We'll see how he'll do with talent around him, rather than being the main man like in New Orleans.

Overview : The Cavs look to increase their comfortability with this game. After a shaky start, they stabilized and are looking like a solid team from 1-12. It's always fun to see the Cavs-Celtics matchup, especially because we'll always hate on former Cav Ricky Davis, just for the heck of it. Both teams are fairly balanced and young, this will be a high-tempo, high-intensity game. It definitely heated up last year with Pierce spitting at the Cavs bench. Let's see if it translates again into this year, but Pierce might have his "professional cap" on. I can see the Cavs winning again with their deep bench production and superior talent.

Re: Cleveland VS Boston Pre-season

First off great review lyxo! Is there an order to who is doing previews because I signed up...If I could find out who I go after that'd be great :thumbup:

I think we are too powerful for the Celtics, it's basically Paul Ricky and a lot of youngsters. I think we can take care of them by at least the 3rd quarter with some strong defense and solid scoring around the lineup. Lets hope to stay injury free and get Hughes going a little bit and see who shows up trying to win some spots. Will Luke get more minutes to build his confidence or will Sasha get a better oppurtunity. Prediction: Cavaliers 107 Celtics 91

Great preview lyxo. Boston vs Cleveland is always a story.

I see the same things happening just like game 1. LeBron/Hughes/Z will likely play no more than 25 minutes. Continue giving Luke Jackson and Pavs some minutes and letting Donyell and Damon get into the groove of playing with their new team mates.

Not to mention that Pierce spat at the Cavs last year and clearly doesn't think much of James. I hope they get into a minor spat in this meaningless preseason game. It makes for good drama.

this game is on league pass, so i get to watch it. :thumbup: the celts had a one year run at the playoffs and that was it, they look like they will struggle this year.

i mostly want to see how hughes guards ricky/paul and see what kind of ball defense he supposed to have.

good job lyxo.

Rimage said:
Not to mention that Pierce spat at the Cavs last year and clearly doesn't think much of James. I hope they get into a minor spat in this meaningless preseason game. It makes for good drama.

I hope Pierce doesn't push any buttons this time around because if he keeps it up, somebody is going to get hurt out here.

I don't believe Hughes played poorly in the first game, just shot the ball below par. Thats the beauty of Hughes, he can manufacture points even when his jumper is off. Martynas and Ekezie got some run last night, so expect Hamilton and Bateer to share the backup minutes this time round.

Will be interesting to see how the Cavalier's pull up after last nights game. Even though noone played big minutes, it was run and gun at times. The players are not in peak condition yet so may struggle on a 2nd of back to back games.

In intersquad battles, Jackson, Snow and Wilks held a slight advantage over Pavlovic, Jones and Keleena after game. Long way to go though.....

Excellent preview lyXo. I am looking for another easy win tonight. But most of all, I am looking for consistency. Preseason is meaningless in terms of wins, losses, and stats. However, this is where chemistry and consistency is built.

As Karma said, I really am not worried at all about Hughes' poor shooting night. On the same token, I am not overly excited (even though I am thrilled about it) about Luke's good game. It was just one game. Imagine what last night would have been like if Hughes was on.

NBA Preseason: James making return to Mellon Arena

topwidepglogo.gif

NBA Preseason: James making return to Mellon Arena

Cavaliers face Celtics in exhibition game

20051011WP_lebron_230.jpg

LeBron James, of the Cleveland Cavaliers, is one of the NBA's biggest stars.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005
By Phil Axelrod, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LeBron James will be bringing his act back to town, this time as a certified star in the NBA.

He will lead the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Boston Celtics in an exhibition game at 7:30 p.m. today at Mellon Arena.

The first time James stepped on the court at Mellon Arena, he was a wunderkind from St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, a legend-in-waiting who had 32 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 assists and 5 dunks in an 82-48 victory against New Castle in the feature game of the Steel City Hoopla Dec. 15, 2002.

There were 6,624 people in the stands who can say they saw James before he became King James, an instant millionaire with major endorsement deals.

James enters his third NBA season as the guiding force of the Cavaliers under rookie coach Mike Brown. Although he doesn't turn 21 until Dec. 30, the 6-foot-8 James is being mentioned in the same breath with Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan.

James somehow has managed to surpass the hype coming out of high school as the first player selected in the 2003 NBA draft. He became the youngest player and the first Cavaliers player to be named rookie of the year and was one of only three rookies in NBA history to average 20 points in a season.

The others were Oscar Robertson and Jordan.

The Cavaliers have gone 35-47 and 42-40 in the first two years of the James reign, missing the playoffs in both seasons. He averaged 27.2 points, 7.4 rebounds and 7.2 assists per game in 2004-05.

In addition to a new coach, the Cavaliers signed a new player who will be expected to take some of the scoring pressure off James -- Damon Jones, who was third in the league with 225 3-pointers last season and fifth with a .432 shooting percentage from beyond the arc.

Center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and forwards Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden and Donyell Marshall are proven veterans who should help the Cavaliers improve in the Central Division standings and into the playoffs.

Another player in the game familiar with Mellon Arena is the Celtics' Mark Blount, a center who played two seasons at Pitt.

He was chosen in the second round by Seattle, but was waived by the SuperSonics and wound up in the Continental Basketball Association.

After stints in the United States and International leagues, Blount signed with the Celtics in 2000.

He was with Boston for two seasons and then signed with Denver as a free agent in 2002. He was traded back to the Celtics in 2003 and signed a multiyear contract before last season.

The Celtics, coached by Doc Rivers, are relying on Blount to provide an inside presence to complement the slashing games of Paul Pierce and Ricky Davis.

Rookie Ryan Gomes, a 6-7 forward from Providence, is Boston's most promising newcomer.

Rookie Ryan Gomes, a 6-7 forward from Providence, is Boston's most promising newcomer.
Hmmm, so what is Gerald Green? I like how this article states Damon Jones as the player to take the scoring pressure of LeBron and not Hughes. I guess this was written by some excited kid about the big stars coming to town.

Karma said:
Hmmm, so what is Gerald Green?

Everybody loves Green's athleticism but most say he is raw. I've heard debates (take this with a grain of salt) that say as a prospect, Green was rated lower than other high schoolers like Telfair, Dorell Wright and Josh Smith. Only time will tell. But for next season, I expect Gomes to see way more playing time than Green. Using the dreaded p-word known as "potential," Green probably has more potential than Gomes but Gomes is more NBA-ready (some say the Blazers took Webster over Green because while he may have slightly less potential, Webster was way more game ready, so that's another claim from another source that Green may not be ready).

Last edited:

You are right in that Gomes is the more NBA ready of the two West Remy. But it states Gomes as the more promising which to me is a stretch.

the renegade and the spitter. good times

I wonder if jahidi will be ready for tonight. I believe newble is still out for a few more weeks. We need to see his fat ass in live action.

I suspect jones wil start tonight.

I like how mike brown is very hands on. Hopefully he will continue to garner the players respect.

No LeBron James tonight - will not dress.

He strained his pec muscle last night - prolly not serious. But damn.

Ouch heal up Bron Bron! We need ya kinda lol

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."