• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 53-man roster news

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBBI

Super Chill Mode
Reaction score
Did this thread last year at this time and ended up getting 40 of 53 correct.

Offense: 18 for 25
Defense: 19 for 25
Special Teams: 3 for 3

http://www.realcavsfans.com/communi...oo-early-2018-53-man-roster-projection.48905/

2019 Cleveland Browns 53-Man Roster Prediction

Offense (25)
QB (3): Baker Mayfield, Drew Stanton, Garrett Gilbert

RB (3): Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, Dontrell Hilliard
Suspended: Kareem Hunt

FB (1): Orson Charles

WR (6): Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, Rashad Higgins, Derrick Willies, Damion Ratley

TE (3): David Njoku, Demetrius Harris, Seth DeValve

OL (9): Greg Robinson, Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter, Austin Corbett, Chris Hubbard, Desmond Harrison, Kendall Lamm, Eric Kush, Drew Forbes

Special Teams (3)
K (1): Austin Seibert
P (1): Britton Colquitt
LS (1): Charley Hughlett

Defense (25)
DL (9): Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi, Sheldon Richardon, Olivier Vernon, Chris Smith, Chad Thomas, Anthony Zettel, Trevon Coley, Brian Price

LB (6): Joe Schobert, Christian Kirksey, Genard Avery, Sione Takitaki, Adarius Taylor, Mack Wilson

CB (6): Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams, Terrence Mitchell, TJ Carrie, Phillip Gaines, Donnie Lewis Jr.

S (4): Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Eric Murray, Sheldrick Redwine

The only spot on the entire roster that is noticeably lacking quality depth is defensive tackle.

Every other position is pretty deep.

Some thoughts after the draft and looking at the roster.

1) Steve Wilks and John Dorsey weren't as keen on their secondary as they wanted you to believe. I remember a few tweets and articles a few weeks ago with quotes from Browns brass that they thought the guys in the secondary were better than the coaching staff made them look. Obviously that was draft speak. With Greedy and Redwine forming 2 out of the top 3 picks, the Browns clearly saw a need.

2) The Browns aren't too keen on giving Joe Schobert an extension. A few days ago we heard the rumors of Schobert's name coming up in trade talks. Then we drafted Takitaki and Wilson. Schobert is extremely solid but cap space is valuable and Schobert just isn't elite enough to justify a big contract. Minimally the Browns are preparing for his departure.

3) Kirksey shouldn't feel too comfortable either. There's nothing to dislike about Kirksey the person. Off the the field he's tremendous. His support of the city is great. But he's coming off an injury riddled season. And in the games he did play, he didn't look like the same guy. He's not Dorsey's guy either. The lack of depth we have likely keeps him around, for now.

4) Randall too. Openly asking for a contract whenever he can on Twitter, I can't imagine the Browns brass is too thrilled. Randall was excellent last year. A fan favorite for both his play and sticking it to Hue. But the Browns traded for Murray, they drafted Redwine and while Randall is clearly superior to both players, the Browns might be both sending a message/preparing for another departure. However, he's more likely to get that contract compared to Joe.

5) Duke is still a Brown. No trades on draft weekend. In fact I'm not even aware of any veterans being moved on draft weekend. I think Duke probably finds a new home but I'm guessing the Browns want to be sure, well as sure as they can be, that Kareem Hunt is doing what he needs to do to get back on the field. Still hard to see Duke in a Browns uniform come fall.

6) DT is top heavy. Carl Davis, Coley, and Price can likely be improved upon. I wouldn't be surprised to see some fairly decent vet DTs get cut after so many DTs being drafted this high.

Glad you started this post, @CBBI.

My two immediate reactions are that Donnie Lewis Jr. is a candidate to be hidden on IR all year with the broken bone in his foot, and the Browns could be in the market for post May 7th roster changes.

On May 7th compensatory picks will be announced, and players like Suh will hit a second free agency market. That will lead to a fresh batch of veteran cuts.

Did this thread last year at this time and ended up getting 40 of 53 correct.

Offense: 18 for 25
Defense: 19 for 25
Special Teams: 3 for 3

http://www.realcavsfans.com/communi...oo-early-2018-53-man-roster-projection.48905/

2019 Cleveland Browns 53-Man Roster Prediction

Offense (25)
QB (3): Baker Mayfield, Drew Stanton, Garrett Gilbert

RB (3): Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, Dontrell Hilliard
Suspended: Kareem Hunt

FB (1): Orson Charles

WR (6): Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, Rashad Higgins, Derrick Willies, Damion Ratley

TE (3): David Njoku, Demetrius Harris, Seth DeValve

OL (9): Greg Robinson, Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter, Austin Corbett, Chris Hubbard, Desmond Harrison, Kendall Lamm, Eric Kush, Drew Forbes

Special Teams (3)
K (1): Austin Seibert
P (1): Britton Colquitt
LS (1): Charley Hughlett

Defense (25)
DL (9): Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi, Sheldon Richardon, Olivier Vernon, Chris Smith, Chad Thomas, Anthony Zettel, Trevon Coley, Brian Price

LB (6): Joe Schobert, Christian Kirksey, Genard Avery, Sione Takitaki, Adarius Taylor, Mack Wilson

CB (6): Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams, Terrence Mitchell, TJ Carrie, Phillip Gaines, Donnie Lewis Jr.

S (4): Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Eric Murray, Sheldrick Redwine

The only spot on the entire roster that is noticeably lacking quality depth is defensive tackle.

Every other position is pretty deep.

Didn’t see The Scottish Hammer on there, so there’s your first miss.

Just imagine dude kicking the ball and it just combusting. That’s whats going to happen. The shrapnel will hit the receiving team and we will recover the stitches. Browns ball.

There is always a ufa or two that makes most rosters . The RB from Pitt has a shot for sure.

Glad you started this post, @CBBI.

My two immediate reactions are that Donnie Lewis Jr. is a candidate to be hidden on IR all year with the broken bone in his foot, and the Browns could be in the market for post May 7th roster changes.

Good call here. I didn’t realize Lewis broke his foot in January.

Could be a PUP/IR candidate year 1 certainly.

Would open the door for a guy like Tavierre Thomas to make it as CB6. I know Thomas played a good amount of special teams snaps (over 40%) last year.

Last edited:
Excellent post.

Our roster is so stacked. I agree with what you said about the d-line depth-wise. Hopefully the o-line holds up as well. Although, with Baker under center I really don't worry too much about our offense. He's got that golden energy, and it's infectious.

The depth at defensive end is actually ok. I think Smith and Zettel are decent enough rotation guys behind Garrett and Vernon.

But once you get past Ogunjobi and Richardson at tackle, it gets scary quick.

Ideally Chad Thomas steps up in year 2, but there isn't much to lead me to believe that's going to happen.

One quick comment about Kirksey that I keep seeing get overlooked. He has a guaranteed contract this season so that easily is the biggest reason he is a Brown in 2019.

One quick comment about Kirksey that I keep seeing get overlooked. He has a guaranteed contract this season so that easily is the biggest reason he is a Brown in 2019.

Not sure if anyone has been suggesting different?

Financially it doesn’t make sense to release Kirksey until after the season.

Hopefully the combination of health and getting away from Greggggg and Baby Blake can provide a career resurgence.

Not sure if anyone has been suggesting different?

Financially it doesn’t make sense to release Kirksey until after the season.

Hopefully the combination of health and getting away from Greggggg and Baby Blake can provide a career resurgence.

Yes. @Soar posted the following:

3) Kirksey shouldn't feel too comfortable either. There's nothing to dislike about Kirksey the person. Off the the field he's tremendous. His support of the city is great. But he's coming off an injury riddled season. And in the games he did play, he didn't look like the same guy. He's not Dorsey's guy either. The lack of depth we have likely keeps him around, for now.

Hence my post stating that lack of depth is not the number one reason he will stick around, his contract is.

Yes. @Soar posted the following:

Hence my post stating that lack of depth is not the number one reason he will stick around, his contract is.

To be fair, with some more context, it sounds like @Soar is saying Kirksey shouldn't feel comfortable about his time after this season. The previous bullet point talks about the Browns probably not giving Schobert an extension, then the Kirksey point continues the same line of thinking with "either"

2) The Browns aren't too keen on giving Joe Schobert an extension. A few days ago we heard the rumors of Schobert's name coming up in trade talks. Then we drafted Takitaki and Wilson. Schobert is extremely solid but cap space is valuable and Schobert just isn't elite enough to justify a big contract. Minimally the Browns are preparing for his departure.

I agree that Kirksey will be on this roster this season.

I agree that he's not safe after this season.

This organization likely will not tie up meaningful money in the linebacker position.

To be fair, with some more context, it sounds like @Soar is saying Kirksey shouldn't feel comfortable about his time after this season. The previous bullet point talks about the Browns probably not giving Schobert an extension, then the Kirksey point continues the same line of thinking with "either"

I agree that Kirksey will be on this roster this season.

I agree that he's not safe after this season.

This organization likely will not tie up meaningful money in the linebacker position.

I get it and I wasn't really trying to "correct" Soar, so I didn't quote him initially - but I was just demonstrating that my post wasn't out of the blue either.

I get it and I wasn't really trying to "correct" Soar, so I didn't quote him initially - but I was just demonstrating that my post wasn't out of the blue either.

Right, but it appears you took him out of context in the first place is what we're saying.

It certainly seems, as Out of the Rafters said, that Soar was referring to Kirksey shouldn't being comfortable about keeping his spot after this upcoming season.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."