• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Where Should KD Play in 2016-2017?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What team should Kevin Durant sign with this summer?

• Oklahoma City

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Golden State

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Washington

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • New York

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Los Angeles Lakers

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Miami

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Boston

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Los Angeles Clippers

• Toronto

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Dallas

• Total voters

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Please note that the question isn't asking for a prediction, instead I want to see where folks here would go (or not go) if they were Kevin Durant. Should he stay where he's at? Head to a big market? Join a team that is close but needs a guy like him to put them over the top?

What team should Kevin Durant sign with this summer?

(Note: I listed teams I have heard tied to KD, even loosely. I'm sure every team would love to sign him, but the salary cap eliminates a lot of teams from contention.)

Too soon to answer this...need to see what happens in these playoffs and especially what happens on draft night first.

If I'm Durant I'm giving serious consideration to Boston. I hate that I'm saying that, because I can only imagine how insufferable Bill Simmons would be, but it makes sense on many levels.

1) If the salary cap goes up as much as some speculate, Boston could have enough to sign two max players.

2) They have a good, young head coach and an established GM.

3) He goes to the East, where the Cavaliers would be the only team in the way of the NBA Finals.

4) He'd join a solid, young group of players - Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Smart, Johnson.

5) His team would have additional assets to continue to build.

What if the Celtics could land KD along, say, Al Horford? And then draft Buddy Hield? It'd make quite a collection of young talent.

Miami, Toronto, or the Clippers IMO.

Miami and Toronto might not be as good, but the East is bad. And if Durant were to go to one of those teams, they instantly become a top-2 team in the East.

And what they've been able to do this year, without a superstar like Durant. That's pretty frightening. I think he should go to Miami over Toronto though. Better organization, more stability. But the youth of the Raptors might be more appealing.

The Clippers involving a trade with Griffin is probably his best bet to win a title; unless he joins GS.

I do think the Clippers could challenge GS if Durant went there. CP3 and Durant on pick and rolls would be a nightmare.

If I were him I'd want to go to the Clippers. Play with a pass first point guard. Probably the best in the game in that regard.

Play for a coach every player seems to like. The big market of LA, the weather. It seems ideal for Durant to want to go there.

But we shall see.

If I'm Durant I'm giving serious consideration to Boston. I hate that I'm saying that, because I can only imagine how insufferable Bill Simmons would be, but it makes sense on many levels.

1) If the salary cap goes up as much as some speculate, Boston could have enough to sign two max players.

3) He goes to the East, where the Cavaliers would be the only team in the way of the NBA Finals.

4) He'd join a solid, young group of players - Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Smart, Johnson.

What if the Celtics could land KD along, say, Al Horford? And then draft Buddy Hield? It'd make quite a collection of young talent.
I agree about Boston, as I've mentioned on RCF multiple times, but I'm guessing he has no desire to play with a rookie when that pick could easily be traded for an all-star.

That's why I'm waiting to see what happens on draft night.

I forgot to add Boston. That's a good point. I don't think he goes there since they still lack another big name talent. But I think they'd be a dark horse.

I forgot to add Boston. That's a good point. I don't think he goes there since they still lack another big name talent. But I think they'd be a dark horse.
The draft pick can get them a big name talent. DeMarcus Cousins, anyone?

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Durant
Cousins

That's better than what Miami, Toronto, or anyone else in the East could put together.

The draft pick can get them a big name talent. DeMarcus Cousins, anyone?

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Durant
Cousins

That's better than what Miami, Toronto, or anyone else in the East could put together.

That still remains to be seen. A team has to be willing to trade a guy like that. So yes, if they get Cousins that changes everything. But until that happens, they'd have to be a dark horse.

We don't know where they're going to land in the draft. They need a top-3 pick to get a big-time star. The draft falls off a bit after the top-3 picks. Still a good draft, but I don't know if Boston can land a huge player via trade if they don't get a top-5 pick.

We've seen Riley be pretty persuasive. They got a pretty nice roster. So they got at least be in the mix..

Toronto. The Raptors were his favorite team growing up and they have a pretty nice roster. They did win 57 games. And if they are able to add Durant to the mix, they definitely have better chance beating us. I don't think he goes there, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Right now, things can change in the off-season, but I'd put my money on the Clippers.

Last edited:
That still remains to be seen. A team has to be willing to trade a guy like that. So yes, if they get Cousins that changes everything. But until that happens, they'd have to be a dark horse.

We don't know where they're going to land in the draft. They need a top-3 pick to get a big-time star. The draft falls off a bit after the top-3 picks. Still a good draft, but I don't know if Boston can land a huge player via trade if they don't get a top-5 pick.

We've seen Riley be pretty persuasive. They got a pretty nice roster. So they got at least be in the mix..

Toronto. The Raptors were his favorite team growing up and they have a pretty nice roster. They did win 57 games. And if they are able to add Durant to the mix, there definitely have better chance beating us. I don't think he goes there, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Right now, things can change in the off-season, but I'd put my money on the Clippers.
Raptors were his favorite team? Literally never heard that before.

But yes, things can change before free agency starts. A LOT. Which is why I'm waiting. As far as I'm concerned there are no favorites or dark horses right now. There's way too much at stake in the next couple months.

FYI Boston has the 3rd best odds at #1. I know I'll be watching closely on lottery day and hoping they get the worst pick possible. Because it could rather easily be flipped for a allstar if it's top 3.

Raptors were his favorite team? Literally never heard that before.

But yes, things can change before free agency starts. A LOT. Which is why I'm waiting. As far as I'm concerned there are no favorites or dark horses right now. There's way too much at stake in the next couple months.

FYI Boston has the 3rd best odds at #1. I know I'll be watching closely on lottery day and hoping they get the worst pick possible. Because it could rather easily be flipped for a allstar if it's top 3.

Why do you think the Raptor fans thought there was a glimmer of hope he might sign with them? Certainly wasn't because of all the success they've had as a franchise.:chuckle:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-play-toronto-raptors-kid-222412883--nba.html

I threw them in not just because that was his favorite team growing up. But they've improved a lot, so they got at least have somewhat of chance at landing him.

I'm still not sure Durant is going to leave OKC. The Spurs are going to take a step back after this season once Duncan and Manu retires..

I think OKC is in position to be a top-2 team in the West next year. I'm not sure there's a clear cut better situation for him, other than just jumping on the bandwagon and joining the Warriors.

I voted Washington..

If it were me, I'd likely go home.. And if I were to go somewhere else, it'd very likely be Los Angeles on a short-term deal. I know a lot of people wouldn't do that, especially considering his health; but I'd give L.A. one year to improve through free agency and trades - not the draft; essentially doing what Cleveland did to build it's team.

I personally would not go to Golden State, but I can see plenty of people thinking that'd be a good move for him.

It's not on the list, but I've long said that New Orleans could potentially be a very attractive destination for Durant. They underperformed this year, but they have a good, solid young crew and Durant combined with a healthy Davis could be devastating.

Fuck Toronto. If they crumble again, no way is Durant going to waste the remainder of prime years trying to be the guy that drags a team of chokers beyond the 1st round.

Boston really does make a lot of sense, but I have this sinking feeling that Riley is going to make an "offer he can't refuse". The Heat's pursuit of Durant is actually the think I'm looking forward to least this offseason. The main reason though I can see him shunning South Beach is that he'd essentially be adopting LBJ's legacy.

If I'm KD, I'm staying in OKC... as long as I know Russ is staying there. No other team can offer up a player as good as Russ. They can offer up the potential of adding another player, sure, but I'm not going to another team based on an idea. I want to KNOW what I'll have. For all the crap OKC gets, they're still a top-4 team in the league. In a non-Golden State year, they're a legit contender for a championship. If I'm KD, as long as I have Russ, I know I'm on a 50-win team with title aspirations.

Going to GSW would be an absolute nightmare. That team would be unstoppable. I hope he stays at OKC. Or at least any team that isn't GSW.

And even though I was kidding about Cleveland, I'm partly serious if he wants to come here. We should do all the salary cap acrobats necessary to make it happen if LeBron can talk him into it. I know it's insane and something you shouldn't hold your breath for at all, but I don't think it is impossible. Crazier things have happened is all I"m saying.

We just have to see what happens in the playoffs first. I think he stays in OKC unless they get bounced in the 1st round or something. Then maybe the door is opened for him to consider other teams.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."