• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Why no sign and trade?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stowfan

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It's obvious LeBron had no desire in helping out his beloved city and team.

S&Ts are very rare and usually only happen when teams are already over the cap. Lakers had the cap room to sign him and probably preferred to sign him this way to maintain more cap space.

He hasn't signed anything, only agreed to it.

They could work out a S/T still. Most likely won't get much other than a late pick or two and a large Traded Player Exception.

You don't think he will re-coup that with other projects in LA? I bet he makes that $50mil back in 1 year.

It's still a lost $50 million though. Not that he needs it.

Let's use you're example and say he makes $50 million from other projects. That means $50 million instead of $100 million.

It's still a lost $50 million though. Not that he needs it.

Let's use you're example and say he makes $50 million from other projects. That means $50 million instead of $100 million.
He will make the money he makes if he's living in LA, not in Cleveland. So it's not $100mil, it's $50mil this year compared to 50 over 5 years.

He hasn't signed anything, only agreed to it.

They could work out a S/T still. Most likely won't get much other than a late pick or two and a large Traded Player Exception.
I don't know what they have, but I do know there's not a lot I'd want off the Fakers, but I would drain them of picks.

According to the NBA rules the Cavs could have offered Lebron 50 million more than the Lakers. Lebron is taking a 10 million dollar cut in pay next year alone. Something smells fishy here, did the Lakers somehow offer him money under the table to avoid doing a sign and trade? If I were the Cavs, I would at least look at it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-signs-four-year-154-million-deal-lakers-001301850.html

I don’t know if a Sign and Trade will be hashed out before July 6th or not, but keep in mind LeBron reached a deal in principle with the Heat in 2010.

Gilbert was furious and initially unwilling to engage in a sign and trade that allowed Miami to more easily fit Wade, Bosh, and LeBron into their cap situation.

Dan was finally talked into it by the FO, and we got 5 draft picks and a huge trade exception for it.

Dan is much more rational this time around. If he’s willing to eat some luxury tax to take on 2 years of Luol Deng ($18M this year/$18.5M next year) the Lakers would likely make some type of move. It’s just figuring out what asset (s) makes it worth Dan staying deep into the luxury tax with a non competitive team.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."