• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Wild Speculation

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wine and Gold

A View Inside the Game
Reaction score
If I were to guess what our approach was going to be this off season, I would think that we would be looking to try and pull off some sort of blockbuster trade that might land us a very valuable piece via trade.

Some are looking at the MLE as a vehicle, and sure ..that will be one we look into.

But, with the number of contracts we have available, and players ..I think if a highly valued piece might be available to be obtained via trade, we may really work hard to try and pull one off this off season.

In speculating what players around the league we might try and check into to see of their availability in trade, I think the first name on the list would have to be Chris Paul.

I know ...doesn't seem likely that it could be possible. And probably isn't, quite frankly. But ..that team is having some pretty bad economic issues, and we might be able to use that as leverage toward possibly getting them to listen.

We'd likely have to incorporate adding a bad contract or contracts to help them consider anything.. but, I could see them listening if we were to maybe throw some quality assets, with prospects, money and also pick off some bad contracts on their team.

Obviously for someone of value like Paul you'd have to give them lots. Talking talent, money, prospects, and taking on bad contract or contracts.

But, if we toss in a Mo Williams, a JJ Hickson, Danny Gibson, one of our large expirings, and take on maybe someone like Sojakovic's contract... it might get their interest.

It may not work, but this "Trade Rumors & Ideas" subject line will be the most active area of this site come summer. I would suspect that trying to pull off a major trade is going to be on Danny Ferry's wish list in trying to find a great young "Pippen" to put alongside Lebron.

Nobody in the league would make him happier than Chris Paul. He is closest to him, than anyone else in the league not playing for the Cavs. He is really like family within the James inner circle.

If a way exists to get New Orleans to listen and contemplate trading a guy like Paul ...we might just have the will, desire, and ability to put together a great package that would pique their interest.

Other players around the league might also interest us if Paul isn't feasible. But, in speculating things that might happen with us come summertime. Look especially at the possible trade options we may look to, to try and bring that key high valued piece to our team via trade, since we won't be able to just straight out get in on the buying spree of potential high end free agents.

While all these teams line up and take their swings at these free agents that are highly publicized. Be aware that Danny Ferry and Dan Gilbert are sitting back and have been strategizing of ways our team can participate this summer, in possibly landing a marquee player to our team as well ...even though it may not be the free agent route.

Should be a fun summer with lots of activity present throughout the league. I have a feeling that Danny Ferry and Dan Gilbert will find a way to make some big headlines themselves, this coming summer.

Just have this feeling, the way Dan Gilbert has been talking about this coming summer. He gives you that look, and that feel that when he talks about how the media talks up how everyone is stepping up and stealing Lebron from us ... he says, these people that have been saying all these things should realize that we might just be the one team that is set better than anyone to not only have Lebron at the end of the day ...we might be the one team, more than all others, that can put the second big piece alongside him, and have the ability to do it...

Dan Gilbert just gives me this feel that he's not gonna sit by and be an innocent bystander this summer.

Watch and see ..should be interesting this summer.

Last edited:
Love it, Cavs keep trying to get better, anyway possible! :)

Well, if Darren Collison gets much better by the end of the season, they might consider replacing CP3 with him, since he is much cheaper. He has been doing very well lately. Its a long shot! Would be amazing if it happens!

I like what you say W&G, Chris Paul!!!! :woot:

We just never stop trying to improve this team in every way possible. I love it.

adding chris paul would be the most intetersting challenge of lebrons career, he would have to adjust to playing with a ball dominant pg.

There are 4 players in the league that, when healthy and playing to their abilities, that are head and shoulders above anyone else. Those 4 are, Lebron, Wade, Paul, and Howard. Especially given how young Paul is, if you can find a way to add him to Lebron, you do it. Lebron and Paul would win 50 games together if the rest of the roster was made up of D-League players. Even after trading several significant pieces, with the collection of talent the Cavs would still have left, you'd be looking at a modern day dynasty. I don't like to hype xbox style trades, but such a deal would be Cleveland sports heaven.

-Murph

So something like Mo, Boobie, JJ, and picks for CP3 and Posey?

Holy crap, Paul Watch kicks off early!

Blow up the team to get Chris Paul. Seriously. Bron and CP3 can take a team of D-Leaguers to the Finals easily and Ferry always does a great job of getting role players.

DO IT FERRY!*

*Team Chemistry included

chris-paul-lebron-james-121b.jpg

Wow, this might be the most thanked post in RCF's history when its all said and done.

You have me very intrigued right now. So essentially no one on this team is untouchable except James?

So, this is a serious question that I pose to all of you, is possibly gutting this team really worth that one key piece to go alongside James, especially if it means losing? Why would James stay then? Isn't he in a win-now mode?

We don't have a large expiring this offseason, so I am not sure how this works if the other team wanting to save money is a big priority.

We don't have a large expiring this offseason, so I am not sure how this works if the other team wanting to save money is a big priority.

Sign&trade scenarios from our end,multiple smaller expirings that add up, etc etc.

Financially, it's possible to make things work.

The biggest problem is obviously the fact that it's not a very likely scenario, and Dallas has an amazing trade chip via Dampier's contract and will likely be heavily involved in these types of scenarios as well.

Collison's play this year would obviously also be a factor that goes into that organization trading Paul.

I mean, W&G did title this Wild Speculation and everything in here is a long-shot obviously...but I can see where maybe something crazy could go down. I wouldn't expect it though. It would certainly be a shocking development.

The reality is though, we really don't know what these free agents and big stars are thinking, they hold a lot of influence over their teams, happy or unhappy. A superstar could make things very uncomfortable for his franchise this summer if he really wants out..plus, being a top-rate organization just on reputation is something that works in the Cavs' favor as far as that goes.

Now I'm just wildly rambling and speculating. Meh.

Last edited:
Sign&trade scenarios from our end,multiple smaller expirings that add up, etc etc.

Financially, it's possible to make things work.

The biggest problem is obviously the fact that it's not a very likely scenario, and Dallas has an amazing trade chip via Dampier's contract and will likely be heavily involved in these types of scenarios as well.

Collison's play this year would obviously also be a factor that goes into that organization trading Paul.

I mean, W&G did title this Wild Speculation and everything in here is a long-shot obviously...but I can see where maybe something crazy could go down. I wouldn't expect it though.

Yeah, I agree with you on Dampier. They may offer around Damp, Beaubois, and Deshawnas exiring.

That was pretty wild speculation indeed...

Paul and Peja for Mo, JJ, Delonte, Jamario and Wally(S&T I am assuming we still hold his rights)? Maybe if we buy a pick we can throw it to them as well, Then use the MLE to add a starting SG. Maybe a Mike Miller type of guy, doesn't specifically have to be him but a shooter along those lines.

PG: Paul, Boobie, Telfair
SG: MLE signing, Parker
SF LeBron, Peja
PF: Jamison, Andy, Powe
C: Shaq, Z

Andy can be moved to C with Powe at the backup 4 if Z retires?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."