• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Windows Defender Virus

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OptimusPrime

Back in 2002
Reaction score
One of your ads is giving me this adware/virus/whatever you want to call it, where I can't open anything without it running a scan and telling me to buy their antivirus software. This is the second time it has happened while I was on this site, so I know it is coming from here. I took care of it on my computers, I just wanted to let you know so you can handle it on your end.

Give me a sec, let me get to my other computer I had this a month ago and I got
It fixed. I'm guessing it won't let you do a system restore? You have to do a fix.reg and open in safe mode.

I'll get the code for you, I'll be home soon

Don't worry about it, I took care of it. I just wanted to make the higher ups aware of it.

I have the exact same thing going on, I got it twice and had this site up when it happened. How did you go about fixing it? It force closes my McAfee and won't let me open control panel or system restore.

It downloaded System Tool 2011 and put it on my desktop. If it's not too much to ask, I could really use a step by step (day by dayyyy, sorry...) on how to repair it in safe mode, since I'm not that computer savvy. I'd do a google search on my own, but I figure that would most likely make things worse.

Thanks guys.

Happened to me too, i had to go into safe mode to access anything. I since then downloaded avira, and paid for malwarebytes. Cleaned out the system in safe mode and its been working fine. This happened a few weeks ago. I had to rename the malwarebytes file before i could actually use it because whatever virus/adware...etc i had wouldn't let me open it.

Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.
Reboot your computer.

If it did come from here I apologize however in the future it would be helpful if you noted what ad was showing so I can remove it quickly. I have to go through about 6,000 ads and hope to find it without that info.

Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.
Reboot your computer.

Don't mean to be a pest, but I completed all of the steps, but the virus keeps force-closing and brings up this message in the lower right:

"Application cannot be executed. The file regedit.exe is infected.
Please activate your antivirus software."

I ran the registry file in safe mode, but it didn't fix the problem. Should I just buy the malwarebytes application? I guess they updated the malware virus. :thumbdown

Don't mean to be a pest, but I completed all of the steps, but the virus keeps force-closing and brings up this message in the lower right:

I ran the registry file in safe mode, but it didn't fix the problem. Should I just buy the malwarebytes application? I guess they updated the malware virus. :thumbdown

I believe i ran in safemode first, then did the notepad. After I
Did that, i restarted in SM again and it let me do a system restore (I did safe and did over a week prior).

Sorry, it was over a month ago
I did it and I kinda forget, also away from home on iPhone so making it brief. I'll help more when I'm
Home if u want, so u don't have to pay anything.

I just fixed a comp with a virus like this. Go into safe mode, and just run a quick scan with MalwareBytes. Buying MB only allows constant protection, you don't need to buy it to clean out this BS virus.

Then reboot and rerun MB in normal mode. Should be fine afterwards.

Big thanks to both of you guys, computer is completely fixed...for the time being. I just had to reconfigure the proxy settings after the malware sweep.

Big thanks to both of you guys, computer is completely fixed...for the time being. I just had to reconfigure the proxy settings after the malware sweep.

My fault for not mentioning that. Figured you had already done it because you were posting on here.

My fault for not mentioning that. Figured you had already done it because you were posting on here.

I was able to post up until I installed and ran the malware program which apparently changes the proxy, then again I'm completely talking out of my ass when it comes to command prompt script and proxy settings.

All I know is that I can now get back to looking up gigantic tittie fights and hide the champagne bottle videos. Ahh, the internets...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."