• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Your Perfect Off Season

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AvonCavsFan

Sixth Man
Reaction score
Here would be mine, and it is subject to and most likely will change, probably even every day.

Trade #31,33 to the Mavs for Marion and #13. (I think the trade would be after they chose a player for us due to Stepian rule)

#1-Oladipo, I just think he will be the best player in the draft. Most players upside is capped by athleticism. He has that in spades. The next thing is work ethic-check. Intelligence-check. Attitude-check. I don't think he will stop working until he is as good as he can be.
#13-Steven Adams-I think long term he will end up the best center in the draft. The question is, will he be available at this spot? Some mocks say yes, some say no.
#19-Karasev/Saric/Snell/Bullock (A wing Shooter basically)

Irving (36)-Waiters (12)
Waiters (24)-Oladipo (24) (I don't think it matters who starts between the two)
Marion (28)-Oladipo (8)-Karasev(12)
TT (32)-Zellers (16)
AV (32)-Adams (16)

This still leave us some cash to spend to fill in the cracks. And I believe we still have max space in 2014 as well.

I think adding Marion to the team would be a great help to the young guys. With AV he could help set the tone on the defensive side. Our defense would be light years better than last year. We would have plenty of talented bigs, talented wings, etc. I see that as a 4 through 6 seed next year--assuming AV is healthy.

I am really torn on what we should do at #1--I really like what Noel can become, but the injury and weigh issues are a huge issue to me. I would love to trade down to #2 or #3 and pick up an asset.

There are so many sellers in the lottery right now that it is probably possible to keep #1 and trade up in the draft to get Oladipo as well. If that is a player that the Cavs really want.

1. Draft Noel
2. Get a SF but don't give away any main pieces and don't hurt our cap space too much for 2014.
-Sign Iggy to a cheap deal (or trade if he accepts his player option--even better)
-Trade Varejao, #19, #31, #33 for Deng
-Trade #19 and #31/#33 (if necessary) for Granger
-Maybe make a trade for Sefolosha (Varejao & #19 for Sef & #12?)
3. Re-sign Ellington & Livingston

Game One Lineup

Kyrie/Livingston
Waiters/Ellington
Acquired SF/Gee
Tristan/Noel
Varejao/Zeller

1.. Take Noel and he recovers ahead of schedule to play in November.
2. Sign SF who can shoot Like Webster
3. Bring back Ellington and Livingston
4. Andy comes back 100 Percent Healty
5. Use 31 33 and 19 and move up to get another top 10 talent in the draft
6. Make a trade for sold veteran rotational player who wont hurt cap space in 14
7. Irving and Waiters develop chemistry in the off season that takes the back court to a whole new level.
8. If and when the opportunity presents itself to get another top 25 nba player, we use our assets and strike!

Two guys I love in this draft are Noel and VO. I'd take Noel No. 1 and then try like hell to trade up for VO. Then, I'd try to acquire Shawn Marion as a stopgap at the 3. One year deal, still plays (especially defense) well, doesn't handicap us long term. Adding those three guys would do wonders for us defensively.

Trades are too hard to predict. I'll go with a somewhat realistic yet productive offseason.

1: Nerlens Noel. Cavs don't find a suitable offer for the number one pick. They give consideration to Len and Porter, but they feel that they can't pass on the upside of Noel.

19: Reggie Bullock. I think the Cavs will try to trade up using their second round picks. They could also stay at 19 and move into the 20s using their two second rounders. If we were to draft three players, I'm pretty confident that one would be a draft a stash. Bullock is a great shooter and has a lot of potential to play defense. Could easily end up starting.

Free agency:

Mo Williams: 1 yr deal. I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this. He's a FA. He knows Mike Brown. He likes Cleveland. Good vet for Kyrie. Great fit.

Greg Oden: 1 yr deal This signing has been rumored for some time. Ultimately, I think it gets done. If Oden contributes at all, its a win.

Tony Allen: Good player to have teach defensive principles to our young players. I'm not sure what sort of contract he would be looking for. Honestly I'm good with a one year deal with a contract clause that Allen makes life hell for Irving and Waiters in practice.

Some other random D-League type signings will happen. I don't see a big move yet. I still think the Cavs keep flexibility until Lebron and if he says no, the Cavs offer someone like Deng a big deal.

Lineup:

PG: Irving/Williams
SG Waiters/Allen/Williams
SF Bullock/Allen/Gee
PF Thompson/Varejao/Jones
C Zeller/Oden/Noel

Add in a few D-League guys to round out the 15.

Last edited:
Draft Nerlens Noel number 1 overall
Trade Dion Waiters and both our second round picks to the Bobcats for their 4th overall pick
Draft McElmore with the Bobcats pick
Trade Varejao to the Pacers for Danny Granger
Resign Ellington and Livingston
Sign OJ Mayo
Sign Greg Oden

Future line up
PG: Irving, Livingston
SG: Mayo, McElmore, Ellington
SF: Granger, Gee
PF: Thompson, Zeller, Speights
C: Oden, Noel

That's what I would do but I really don't think the cavs have any interest into reading Waitors who IMO doesn't fit with Kyrie.

Am I the only one who feels like we should trade for a proven all-star? (Love, Aldridge, Lopez)

Maybe it's just me picturing a "Big 3" when LBJ returns next season :p

Obviously if the asking price is acceptable, I think it's perfectly reasonable to obtain an all-star without having to give up our young talent.

Trade #1 and TT to Portland for Aldridge, renounce all impending free agents, fill the rest of the roster with one-year contracts and sit and fucking wait......

Draft Nerlens Noel #1.
Trade 19, 31, or 33 for the Dallas pick or Portland pick.
Draft or Trade for a SF.
Re-sign Ellington and Livingston.
Try to trade Varejao.

Draft Nerlens Noel #1.
Trade 19, 31, or 33 for the Dallas pick or Portland pick.
Draft or Trade for a SF.
Re-sign Ellington and Livingston.
Try to trade Varejao.

dream a lil bigger than that lol

I know many would, but no way would I trade the # 1 and Thompson for Aldridge. He would be a welcome addition, but not at that cost, IMO.

Scenario 1) Make a big splash by trading the draft and possibly Thompson or Waiters. Aldridge would be the guy, possibly Love. These two are very unlikely. That leaves searching for teams who are in tax penalty territory and need to dump salary. Problem is, there are only a few teams in that territory with players worth giving up all of those assets for, and those teams aren't giving up those guys. Unless Minnesota budges on Love, this is probably out.

Scenario 2) Take Noel. Try and make a move for a lesser player, like Luol Deng or Wilson Chandler to fill the SF void. Then offer big, one year deals to actual bench players who can make a difference. I'm, of course, thinking of Carl Landry and Jarret Jack. They are at the top of my list.

Draft Noel at 1
Acquire 13 + Marion from Dallas
Trade any combo of 13, 19, 31, 33 for top 5 pick
Pick Porter, Bennett, or Oladipo with said top 5 pick (in that order)
Resign Livingston to 3 year deal with 2 TO's

I think Porter goes to Was at 3, but as a consolation, I really like the idea of having a future big man rotation of TT, NN, and Bennett. It would give us a ton of flexibility with matchups as well as alleviate concerns about the TT/NN dynamic.

Kyrie/Livingston
Waiters/Ellington
Marion/Gee
TT/Bennett
Andy/Noel/Zeller

If Cavs can retain any later picks, I'd prefer to see them go with Karasev or Snell, if available.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."