• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Z’s heart is in Cleveland, his agent says (+ PD interview with Z)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A piece with more comments from Z's agent. Everybody's doing their job...

Z’s heart is in Cleveland, his agent says
Filed by Brian Dulik February 19th, 2010 in Sports.

CLEVELAND — Zydrunas Ilgauskas spent his first day with the Washington Wizards the same way he spent his last day as a member of the Cavaliers.

The popular center remained in Northeast Ohio — relaxing at his suburban home with his wife, Jennifer, and their two young sons — while pondering the next move in his NBA career.

He might have to go to Washington to take a physical, which would be (today), but he’s still in Cleveland,” Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas’ longtime agent, said Thursday. “We’re going to spend some time thinking about what’s happened and where to go from here.”

Though franchise cornerstone Ilgauskas was traded to Washington in a three-team deal that brought Antawn Jamison to Cleveland, the Wizards are almost certain to buy out the remainder of his $11.5 million contract and make him a free agent.

Rudoy said he has been in contact with Washington general manager Ernie Grunfeld to facilitate such a move, along with “a great number of (other) teams” that are interested in signing the 7-foot-3 pivot once he hits the market.

But the agent admits, “‘Z’ knows and I know, for sure, how much Cavaliers fans love him and how they’ve reacted to the trade. His heart truly is in Cleveland.

As long as Ilgauskas is bought out by March 1, he will be playoff-eligible wherever he lands, but could not re-sign with the Cavaliers until March 19 — four weeks before the postseason begins.

In the meantime, Ilgauskas can expect to be courted by other title contenders, including Dallas and Denver. Though the beloved Lithuanian had been a loyal part of Cleveland’s organization since June 26, 1996, he plans on testing the open waters.

“I wouldn’t rule out ‘Z’ coming back to Cleveland, but this is about what’s best for him and his family,” Rudoy said. “He realizes now that this is a business decision, just as the Cavs made a business decision by trading him.”

Personal feelings, however, will no doubt enter the equation, as Ilgauskas recently said: “There are no greener pastures anywhere else. I want to retire as a Cavalier.”

Cleveland fans have reciprocated those thoughts with more than 3,100 joining a Facebook group called “Get Big Z back in Cleveland,” and another 11,000 voting in a poll within the first 18 hours of the trade. In the latter online forum, 81 percent said they will not be happy about the Jamison deal unless Ilgauskas is brought back.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen, except it’s going to be his decision,” Rudoy said. “He’s still a very good player and he’s said the most important thing at this point in his career is winning a championship, so that will probably be the biggest factor.”

Whether it takes a week — or a month, as Cleveland hopes — for Ilgauskas to decide where he will suit up in the 2010 playoffs, it will be a peaceful period.

After being the subject of countless trade rumors throughout the season, both “Z” and his agent are happy that part of the process is done.

I’m relieved it’s finally over,” Rudoy admitted. “I had no doubt it was going to happen because the Cavaliers made it clear they were going to try and improve their team, and the only way they really could do that was by using ‘Z’s’ contract. Now, we can all move forward.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2010/02/19/zs-heart-is-in-cleveland-his-agent-says/

Re: Z’s heart is in Cleveland, his agent says

It would really bum me out if he didn't come back. I really want him to get the ring that he deserves for all his hard work and the things he has done for this team.

If we win the championship and he doesn't come back, can we send him a ring anyway? I know it wouldn't be the same as being here to win it, but it would be a great gesture.

Z isn't going anywhere. He is probably babysitting Lebron's two boys right now.

if he doesnt come back the trade doesnt look as good , but I hope and have a feeling he'll be back March 19th

He'll get a ring if he does not return anyway, as long as he was a member of the team at any point of the season.

Z's a member of the washington wizards now. He has not been bought out. He's a member of another organization and we need to move forward.

Z's a member of the washington wizards now. He has not been bought out. He's a member of another organization and we need to move forward.

Haha, thanks Danny Ferry.

Thanks, Mr. Ferry.

We are moving forward..we have a game tonight..oh U mean Z...when he's bought out,when he returns,it'll be done..:chuckles:

Z better come back. We need him, any time Andy or Shaq get in foul trouble not having that extra big will bite us big time.

Do we play the Wizards before March 19th? It would be very weird to see him playing against us. I know the Wizards have some young guys at Center. Do you think he would start for them if he plays at all?

Z better come back. We need him, any time Andy or Shaq get in foul trouble not having that extra big will bite us big time.

Leon Powe anyone?

Zydrunas Ilgauskas off to join Washington Wizards, unsure about return to Cleveland Cavaliers

By Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer
February 19, 2010, 11:04AM

-86222aa3f739d568_medium.jpg

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas was on his way to the airport this morning, heading for Washington, D.C., and his new team, the Wizards. The thought of putting on a new jersey makes him almost queasy.

And he'll have to wear No. 17, because the Wizards have retired his usual No. 11 in honor of Elvin Hayes.

But that might be the smallest change facing the beloved long-time Cavs center, the franchise leader in games played, rebounds and blocked shots who was traded to the Wizards on Wednesday as part of the three-team deal that brought Antawn Jamison to the Cavaliers .

It has been a tough three days for Ilgauskas. After a long practice on Wednesday, he spent two hours with some teammates at Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital visiting terminally ill children. As soon as he stepped outside, he got the call from Cavs general manager Danny Ferry telling him he'd been traded after 14 years with the Cavs, who made the 7-foot-3 center from Lithuania their first-round pick in the 1996 draft, No. 20 overall.

"It was emotional,'' Ilgauskas said of the call with Ferry, a friend and former teammate whose voice quivered when he told reporters about the phone call during a press conference on Thursday.

Though it has been widely rumored that Washington will release Ilgauskas, who would be able to sign back with the Cavs in 30 days, nothing has been discussed to this point.

"Right now I'm a Wizard,'' he said. "I think eventually they'll let me go, but that's just my guess. They haven't told me anything yet. First I've got to go to Washington, and hopefully after a couple of days they'll let me go home.''

The Wizards have been in turmoil since NBA commissioner David Stern suspended All-Star guard Gilbert Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton for bringing guns into the locker room in a dispute over a gambling debt. Since then, there has been a fire sale, with the Wizards dumping salary in advance of the team being sold. It's unlikely they will be willing to keep Ilgauskas, a 33-year-old veteran who will make $11.5 million this season. It's more likely they will negotiate a buyout.

If that happens, Ilgauskas will have several options. He admits a number of teams have called his agent, Herb Rudoy. Though neither Ilgauskas nor Rudoy identified them, Dallas and Denver are thought to be in the market for a big man.

Ilgauskas wouldn't say for sure he'd be back, but he wouldn't rule it out, either, in spite of the fact that there were some hurt feelings earlier this season when coach Mike Brown didn't play Ilgauskas in the game that would have given him the franchise record for games played. He did get the record in the next game.

"We'll figure things out,'' he said. "I'll do what's best for my family.''

The Cavaliers players and fans hold a special place in his heart. He tried but found it too hard to watch Thursday's game against Denver on his television at home.

"This is my team,'' he said. "I'm going to be mad, but not so mad that I wouldn't come back. I understand it's a business. This is my home. No matter what happens in the future, that will never change.''

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/02/zydrunas_ilgauskas_off_to_join.html

Last edited:

And he'll have to wear No. 17, because the Wizards have retired his usual No. 11 in honor of Elvin Hayes.

If the Wiz waffle on the buy-out he should refuse to play unless they un-retire number 11. If they do then they really want to fuck us over.

I think he is feeling whatever everybody would feel in this situation, I am 100% confident he will rejoin this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."