• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Z buyouts

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Reaction score
Can we stop with the "z comes back in 30 days"? no team is guarnteed to buy him out unless he takes a significant amount less then what hes set to make.

Can we stop with the "z comes back in 30 days"? no team is guarnteed to buy him out unless he takes a significant amount less then what hes set to make.

Here's what I wrote on a realgm board:

Well in any trade that has Z would also include Cash to buy him out. It would also probably happen near or at the trade deadline. That's around 50 games into the season. I'm not certain how paying players works, but if it was a straight payment per game type, 50 games in would be 61% into the season. 61% of Z contract is about 7.04 mil. Let's say the Cavs include 3 mil to buy him out. He is now at 10 mil. Then he signs back for the vet min, ($1,306,455 - 77% of that- calculating in the amount of time he would have to wait) he would get about $300,00 more. A total of 10.3 mil. That's a little short of his full contract, but I don't think it would be a big deal to Z. If it was, we could sign him for the BAE or sign him for a contract next year and just have him not show up (if he were to retire). Either way, you're comment that "it makes no sense is completely stupid" is way off base.

Really? You don't say...

Z has made quite a bit of money. Antonio McDyess has made quite a bit.

Do you know what they have/had in common? A desire to be in a single destination. Sure, one had to pretend to be interested in other suitors, but that's the business of the NBA.

If Z refuses to play, he's probably willing to give up a certain amount. If McDyess gave up at least $3 million, then Z probably is willing to do something similar. Plus, Z gave up money when he was a free agent, a pay cut to get the other guys aboard easier.

We don't know anything about Z buyouts, but neither do you.

^ i dont know anything but in every trade thread ive seen involving Z, somehow we ALWAYS get him back. too much gambling

When Detroit traded McDyess, they knew he was coming back.

Same for us with Z.

^ i dont know anything but in every trade thread ive seen involving Z, somehow we ALWAYS get him back. too much gambling

I agree with that sentiment. And I think Ferry will think the same way. He'll only do business with a team that COULD buy out Z and it looks likelier.

Either way, you have to give it a chance and let Ferry try to get it done. It could be worse. Last year, Wally was a desperate need at the deadline and it made it less likely. At least depth covers Z. In fact, Wally could be used first off.

It's left to be seen.

Yeah, Z isn't going to put on another teams jersey... If he is smart enough to understand letting Shaq start in order to help our team get better, then he understands how the business works...

If I were Ferry, I'd tell him and his agent to take a month off, go back to Lithuania, see the family and come back... All of the business can be done in the meantime...

I guess I'm not worried about him coming back because I'm not worried about him truly "leaving."

When Detroit traded McDyess, they knew he was coming back.

Same for us with Z.

Exactly. IIRC, McDyess never even went to Denver to negotiate the buyout.

Right now, Z has already made roughly $4.3M of his $11.5M contract. Say we trade him at the point that he's made $6.5M of that $11.5M. We can trade him, send the other team $3M to buy him out, and then re-sign him for roughly $1M (whatever the vet min is for a player with his number of years), and Z only loses $1M without the other team even paying him a dime. That would save the other team ~$5M this year, depending on how the salaries of the players traded matched up.

I think that would be incentive enough for the other team to buy him out if their move is mostly because of financial reasons. $5M savings immediately plus $11+M the following year.

im really confused if OP is afraid that Z wouldnt accept a buy out, wouldnt come back if he was bought out, or a team wouldnt buy him out.

No matter what, its obviously Z WANTS to be on this team, and this team wouldnt trade him unless they knew he would come back, its that simple. Plus the cavs can build a buy out into the trade, as in "we will trade you Z but you MUST buy him out". Basically the only way Z is traded is if the cavs know he will come back.... end of thread.

Keep in mind too the fact that players earn playoff bonuses. So by accepting a buyout and signing for the vet min with us and we do very well in the playoffs he would get that money too.

im really confused if OP is afraid that Z wouldnt accept a buy out, wouldnt come back if he was bought out, or a team wouldnt buy him out.

No matter what, its obviously Z WANTS to be on this team, and this team wouldnt trade him unless they knew he would come back, its that simple. Plus the cavs can build a buy out into the trade, as in "we will trade you Z but you MUST buy him out". Basically the only way Z is traded is if the cavs know he will come back.... end of thread.

I read recently in RCF that there was a rule change this year in the NBA that explicitly allows teams to stipulate buy-outs as part of trades and allows the buy-out to be negotiated prior to the trade -- so the Cavs would trade Z to Team X and Team X would then be required to buy Z out for a specified amount, presumably using money (probably $3m) provided by the Cavs to do so...In the past, I think you could potentially run into issues with the CBA on this point, but really I see no reason why this sort of clause should not be permitted, especially when you are actually providing the team with money for the purposes of the buy out. The player still doesn't have to agree to anything he doesn't want to agree to, and this sort of arrangement marginally increases the player's chances to sign with a team that actually wants him.

After the buy-out, the Cavs would then use the prorated vet minimum or the prorated BAE to resign Z. It's been my theory that the Cavs have reserved the BAE to use on Z, a small perk for him.

It's also been reported (by Windy, I think) that Ferry met with Z (his former teammate and personal friend) before the season where this sort of scenario was discussed. Despite the fiasco involving Z's record in games played, my sense is that everyone is on-board with the plan.

In fact, it was reported (not by Cleveland media though) that one condition of the Cavs' offer of Delonte West and s/t Wally for S-Jax was that Delonte would be bought-out by Golden State so he could return to the Cavs.

Remember too the Cavs, as ESPN (Broussard, I think) has recently reported, the Cavs were prepared to buy Denver's #34 pick in the '09 draft for $2m with the intent to draft DeJuan Blair....So it seems they still have some money budgeted for this sort of maneuver.

Regardless of whatever language (and money) is included in any trade, I can't imagine why any team the Cavs might trade Z to wouldn't want to buy him out. If a trade doesn't happen till the deadline, there'd be less than two months left in the season and it'd make absolutely no sense for a non-playoff type team to be playing a soon to be 35 year old who is clearly near the end of his career. It'd be better to pick someone out of the D-League at that point and give them the minutes.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."