• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Z in Florida

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This one's for Pip.

Sounds like Z's moved on at this point.
-----

Miami Heat's Zydrunas Ilgauskas is eager to resume title chase

BY DIDIER MORAIS

DMORAIS@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Sporting a bronze, South Beach tan, Zydrunas Ilgauskas slowly ambled into BankUnited Center on Media Day. After weeks of anticipation, the towering 7-3 center was making his first public appearance in a Miami Heat uniform.

Yet there has been a comforting familiarity for Ilgauskas after spending his previous 14 years in Cleveland. Joining him in this journey is ex-Cavaliers teammate LeBron James, whose presence has added a sense of normalcy to Ilgauskas' adjustment.

``It may seem like a surprise, but this transition hasn't been hard for me at all,'' Ilgauskas said. ``The only difference is the jersey LeBron and I wear now says `Heat' on it.''

Despite having played sparingly in two of the Heat's three preseason games, the light-hearted veteran is secure in his role. But even as Ilgauskas prepares for Miami's Oct. 26 season opener against Boston, he's still amazed how James lured him to Miami.

SALES PITCH

It was inside a New York City bar on July 8 when Ilgauskas was at the edge of his seat. Like the rest of the nation, he hung on James' every word during the ESPN telecast when James announced he was signing with the Heat.

Ilgauskas had no clue what his future held. But for one hour, that all didn't matter. The Decision was way too captivating.

``I was kind of watching as a fan,'' Ilgauskas said. ``Every day you would hear a thousand different stories and everything else. So I was just watching TV like everybody else. Not even worried so much about myself.''

Indifference quickly turned into investigation. James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were forming a super team -- and they wanted Ilgauskas.

In seven seasons in Cleveland, James and Ilgauskas couldn't win a title. But James was determined to show Ilgauskas they could in Miami.

After a two-day soiree in South Beach to sign his six-year, $110 million contract, James flew back to New York to attend Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony's wedding.

But James had other business on his mind. While he was in town, he scheduled lunch with Ilgauskas in an attempt to convince the free agent to join forces in Miami.

``Anytime you make a transition, you hope you can make it with friends and family,'' James said of his recruiting pitch to Ilgauskas.

So James set the table to sway Ilgauskas. The venue was a restaurant in the upper west side of Manhattan. The cuisine was Italian. The conversation started off with talk about the past, including moments of regret.

``In a perfect world, we'd have won five or six championships in Cleveland and everything would be great,'' Ilgauskas said, reflecting on their Cavaliers tenure. ``But the world is not perfect, and things happen. Things happen for a reason.''

That chat about the past, however, became James' selling point for the future. James assured Ilgauskas that their fantasy of perfection could be a reality with the Big 3.
The possibility was too hard for Ilgauskas to pass up. After weighing several contract offers, he signed with the Heat on July 13.

``I wanted to fight for a championship,'' Ilgauskas said. ``We realize it's a lot of hard of work ahead of us, but we'll have a chance. And that's all you can ask for.''

James, however, also plans to reward Ilgauskas for taking a chance on him nearly three months ago.

``One of my goals is to try to win a championship for this franchise, but also win a championship for him too,'' James said. ``It's special to have him come down here. The big fella has been through a lot through his career -- multiple foot surgeries.''
Despite the injuries, Ilgauskas had a major impact with the Cavs as the franchise's leader in games played (771), rebounds (5,904) and blocks (1,269).

WINNING RESUME

But now there's only one thing missing from Ilgauskas' résumé, new Heat teammate Udonis Haslem said.

``He's a guy who you definitely want to see have an opportunity to hold that trophy up and get that ring,'' Haslem said. ``Besides being motivated for things people are saying, you definitely are motivated to have him have that opportunity.''

It is a bittersweet feeling, though, for Ilgauskas. He always envisioned savoring championship champagne in Cleveland. But now, Ilgauskas has come to grips with his new reality.

``I can't look back,'' Ilgauskas said. ``I enjoyed my years in Cleveland and I will always -- cherish those. But this is a new journey.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/10/1867217/ilgauskas-is-eager-to-resume-title.html#ixzz120t1KSLJ

I respect Big Z that was on the Cavs roster for soo long. But fuck Big Z on the Heat roster, I hope he doesn't win a ring as long as he has the Heat jersey on.

He knew what LeBron did, but he still decided to join him.

I still don't understand why Z would be willing to team up with the same guy who only two months earlier threw away a golden chance for a ring. Thought Z was smarter than that. Been a huge fan of his but lost a bit of respect for him with the Miami signing.

I still don't understand why Z would be willing to team up with the same guy who only two months earlier threw away a golden chance for a ring. Thought Z was smarter than that. Been a huge fan of his but lost a bit of respect for him with the Miami signing.

Outside of signing with the Lakers, signing with the Heat is his best shot at a ring. I find the Miami Heat as a whole less irritating; I just want to move on.

In the end it is what it is and I'm looking forward to what Gilbert, Grant and Scott do with the Cavs over the next few years.

Edit: Just want to say Z is still my boy and I hope they bring him into the front office someday.

As we all should have learned by now, never get too attached to any player. Chances are they'll let you down at some point.

Can understand why Z decided to go to a team he thought had a chance to win it all. He's on his last legs and at a point when players ring chase. Doing it at age 25 is a little different.
That being said, I hope Z retires without a ring since I wish nothing but failure for the Heat.

glad to see it was an easy transition for him... derrrr. totally glad i got banned for saying fuck z. at least now we can agree. i dont hate the guy, but fuck em. i hope he doesnt win a ring.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's not like the Cavs were going to bring him back even. And I thought the Cavs organization missed a few opportunities last year to show Z some respect and loyalty. Opportunities that Lebron noted in the media which I'm sure only endeered him to Z more.

Their relationship has always been an intersting on to me, because Z clearly isn't a star or anything. But it's clear Lebron cares a lot about him, and respects him a lot as a professional.

I definitely want to see Z get that ring. After all that he has been through, and all that he has sacrificed--if there's anyone who deserves to ring chase it's him.

I think his only real options were either the Lakers or Heat, and I'm sure Lebron made that decision easy because of their friendship. Plus he probably will play a smidge more with the Heat than the Lakers. He's perfect for the Heat's pick and pop offense. I doubt he'll start, but right now he does look like like a key player. Especially if you pair him with Lebron or Wade in the second unit. He looks in great shape.

I wish Z didn't know the exact right things to say to the Cleveland papers when talking to the Cleveland papers and to the Miami papers when talking to the Miami papers. He may have sounded heartless to Cavs fans (and he may have gotten over it that quickly) but he also carefully chose his words to speak to Miami readers. Ugh.

I still hope Miami doesn't win a championship for the next century, regardless of the consequences that might have for Z.

1.) Even if Miami wins a championship and Z gets a ring, it will be the most meaningless, empty ring a player could possibly get. It's akin to Adam Morrison's title rings. His jump-shot, defensive ability, and most of his discernible skills have fallen off of a cliff. He's no longer capable of being a serious contributor for an NBA basketball team and it was evident last year.

2.) I hold no animosity towards Z, in-fact, I would feel really bad for him if a meteor took out the entire state of Florida whereas I would have to hold myself from celebrating as far as the rest of the Heat are concerned. But I really hope the Heat don't win it all.

2.) This article made me break an old MadCatz controller for the PS2 by introducing it to my basement floor. Thanks, Wuck.

This article made me break an old MadCatz controller for the PS2 by introducing it to my basement floor. Thanks, Wuck.

I owe you. It was a disappointing read, I admit.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."