• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Zydrunas Ranked 6th Amoung Centers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retire the #11
Reaction score
1. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami Heat
Ht./Wt.: 7-1, 325
Numbers: 22.9 pts., 10.4 reb., 2.3 blk.
There is no one like him in all of basketball, even at less than 100 percent. His size, strength, agility and strength are unparalleled today, and only Wilt Chamberlain is comparable in league history.

2. Yao Ming, Houston Rockets
Ht./Wt.: 7-5, 295
Numbers: 18.3 pts., 8.4 reb., 2.0 blk.
People expect too much from him, but his somewhat placid veneer makes him a finesse player. And how many other 7-5, 295-pounders are there to match up with him? None. So it really does make him a special player and he makes the Rockets always dangerous.

3. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix Suns
Ht./Wt.: 6-10, 250
Ht./Wt.: 26.0 pts., 8.9 reb., 1.63 blk.
His extraordinary playoff performance catapulted him into the land of superstardom. Can he stay there? That's what we don't know. He improved so much, and is so quick, what he lacks in bulk and overall strength, he makes up for in quickness and explosiveness.

What Amare Stoudemire lacks in strength, he makes up for with his quickness and explosiveness. (Andrew D. Bernstein / Getty Images)

4. Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons
Ht./Wt.: 6-9, 240
Numbers: 9.7 pts., 12.2 reb., 2.38 blk.
He is just as unique as Shaq or Yao or Amare, if only because he is so undersized and yet takes over games with sheer will and energy and a general focus of grabbing every rebound, attempting to block every shot or steal every pass. Even his shooting improved last season because he worked so hard on it.

5. Brad Miller, Sacramento Kings
Ht./Wt.: 7-0, 260
Numbers: 15.6 pts., 9.3 reb, 1.21 blk. As far as talent goes, he's right there with all of them. Sort of a latter day Bill Laimbeer without the fangs, he can shoot, pass and rebound extremely well. The liability — and it's a big one — is he can't seem to make it through any season without breaking down. It's always late in the year and it's why the Pacers let him go for the big bucks without a fight.

6. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland Cavaliers
Ht./Wt.: 7-3, 260
Numbers: 16.9 pts., 8.6 reb., 2.12 blk.
Z has amazing hands and touch, making him always dangerous offensively and a good alternative in the offense to LeBron James. But his lack of mobility causes him to be erratic on the boards and defensively in the interior, and that has an adverse effect on the entire defense. Nonetheless, his offensive skills make him an All-Star.

7. Marcus Camby, Denver Nuggets
Ht./Wt. 6-11, 230
Numbers: 10.3 pts., 10.0 reb., 3.02 blk.
Perhaps the most underrated center in the game, what Camby lacks in strength and touch, he compensates for with energy. Carmelo Anthony is the future star, and others make contributions inside and outside. But Camby is the one who keeps the Nuggets whole with his defense, rebounding and ability to run on the break.

Marcus Camby's defense and ability to get out and run on the break makes him valuable to the Nuggets. (Brian Bahr / Getty Images)

8. Jamaal Magloire, New Orleans Hornets
Ht./Wt.: 6-11, 260
Numbers: 11.7 pts., 8.9 reb., 1.0 blk.
He played in only 23 games last season due to a torn ligament in his hand, and then shortly after he returned in April, he missed eight more games with back spasms. It was a mess, as was the team. But he's a tough and improving interior player which is why there are always rumors about him being traded him

9. Samuel Dalembert, Philadelphia 76ers
Ht./Wt.: 6-11, 250
Numbers: 8.2 pts., 7.5 reb., 1.68 blk.
The 11.6 points, 12.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks a game he averaged against the Pistons in the five playoff games last season earned him a $64 million contract. Is he worth it or will he always be an unfinished project? It's a rather expensive question, but the good news is he has a great attitude and work ethic, which should translate to him consistently improving.

10. Tyson Chandler, Chicago Bulls
Ht./Wt.: 7-1, 240
Numbers: 8.0 pts., 9.7 reb., 1.76 blk.
The less-refined talent of the twin towers that included Eddy Curry, Chandler has brought energy and unfailing work habits to be a great impact player off the bench on the defensive end. Because of the way he attacks the game, most expect the offense to come as time goes on. The real concern is what happens to Curry, with his undetermined heart issue, free agency status and weight problem. What we do know is it will only translate into more time for Chandler.

Others receiver consideration: Eddy Curry, Chicago Bulls; Erick Dampier, Dallas Mavericks; Primoz Brezec, Charlotte Bobcats; Nenad Krstic, New Jersey Nets; Nazr Mohammed, San Antonio Spurs; Lorenzen Wright, Memphis Grizzlies; Chris Kamen, Los Angeles Clippers; Joel Przybilla, Portland Trail Blazers; Chris Mihm, Los Angeles Lakers.

FoxSports Top 10

I cannot complain too much with this list. I definately swap Ilgauskas with Brad Miller. I still dont consider Ben Wallace and Stoudamire centers, but they are playing that position, so I'll let it slide.

Sounds about right.

You could swap Miller and Z, but they're both good.

They're not saying that Shaq is better than Wilt are they? I'm not so sure about that one.

Always good to see Z gettin props though. He's a big part of this team. I'll be interested to see how much and in what way we use him this year. Our lineup has seen some drastic changes in personnel and playing style. TOugh to tell what kind of mins Z will get. Hopefully a lot fewer though.

A fair assessment of Z.

It's nice to see our lineup include a top 6 C in Z, a top overall player in LeBron, a top 3 long distance shooter (shots made) in Jones, a potential double-double guy in Gooden, a top long distance threat in Marshall, a floor leader in Snow and a Steals leader in Hughes, amonst other attributes.

Freakin Awesome!

the fact that Dalembert and Chandler are top 10 centers shows how weak this position has become. heck the number 3 and 4 center are guys who should be PF's but have to play the 5 because there are no other options.

im sry but ill take amare over yao any day.i understand amare is not a true center but hes at that spot and yao just hasnt proved me enough yet.also you couldnt go wrong with z or brad...z is more physical.sad thing is z isnt even that physical.brad is like a finesse center.

trubuck, it seems the NBA has become more of a 2 bigs 2 wings 1 pg league, and i totally agree that dalembert is so overrated. I would rather have some backup centers than him.

i would take dalembert but not for the money the sixers gave him.the only reason he got the dough is cause of his potential and athleticism.he still hasnt proven he can post up or shoot.he can dunk on you,catch oops,and grab boards.hes just a really long guy.

Amare isnt a C...he is a four, and thats why they brought Thomas over..

Ill take Z over Yao based on talent RIGHT NOW. And Id easily take Z over Miller.

Amare should be back at pf this season and I rate Z over Miller any day, so Z could easily be ranked #4 depending on who's judging.

Jigo_oi said:
They're not saying that Shaq is better than Wilt are they? I'm not so sure about that one.

How good do u think Wilt would be if he played today? And maybe he was so good back then because the deffense that was played then is nothing compared to the deffense of today?

I like the list but after 8 it isn't that strong. Theres only 8 good centers(really 6 since ben and amare aren't really center's) in this league and the rest are garbage..kinda sad but all of them got skill.

besides shaq no one on that list ahead of Z has the moves Z does on the block with the outside shooting.

Shaq is good, he just knocks you over.

Yao suffers from rigamortis, sp?.

Amare cant do anything with the left, nor can dribble.

Wallace cant do squat on the O.

Miller is only effective from the inside.

you get centers do be great low post players, z can shoot outside like miller does but in return miller cant do what z does in the post. and for shaq, we know he cant shoot like z.

I dont care what Amare does, he is unstoppable Cali.

He is so powerfull that he doesnt need moves, once he learns how to play basketball, it's going to be scary.

Ben Wallace is a Center. Just because he is 6'9" doesn't mean he is a true center.

Amare is the man. He was outstanding in the playoffs, and is still a baby. Im very happy we drafted Juani over him....(but I guess we might not have gotten LBJ then)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."