Page 131 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 3967
  1. #1951
    Ballplayer MattyFos.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,269
    Thanks
    12,582
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,688 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Btw Jiglet, what if Nolan added a 30 minute stretch mid movie where Bruce is fighting in the courts for his lost fortune. How pissed would you have been?
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyFos. For This Useful Post:


  3. #1952
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    8,657
    Thanks
    4,600
    Thanked 8,662 Times in 3,226 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    By the way, unrelated, but I would like someone to explain to me how this was never made into an actual movie:



    I guarantee you I would have seen this movie at least five times.
    Last edited by Jack Brickman; 02-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:


  5. #1953
    Ballplayer MattyFos.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,269
    Thanks
    12,582
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,688 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I didn't say better. I said more important, just like you said in the post I quoted. Tarantino was easily more important than Nolan over the past three decades. Tarantino could have stopped making movies after Pulp Fiction and still would have been more important than Nolan over that time span. I don't really even like several of Tarantino's movies all that much (Pulp Fiction was great but the rest are hit or miss), but this isn't about quality. It's about importance to the medium.

    Also, just because you loved a movie doesn't mean it's good. It just means you love a bad movie. And there's nothing wrong with that. I love plenty of movies that I know and will willingly admit are bad.

    The Dark Knight Rises is an objectively bad movie. It has tons of plot holes, melodramatic writing, inconsistent characters, and the list goes on and on and on.
    We just disagree. Which is perfectly fine to do on the internets you troll.

    I just think in Hollywood going forward with the CGI explosion having a director who uses lots of action but tries to limit his CGI to "based in realism" as well as shooting numerous scenes from TDKR in small scale like the Tumbler falling through the ceiling and the plane falling apart. That just shows me conviction and that he doesn't want to cheat his viewers. Hopefully Tarantino has inspired people to put some thought into dialogue and to show people that good writing can make or break a movie. They're both good and inspirational in their own directing specialties.
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyFos. For This Useful Post:


  7. #1954
    Valar Morghulis Nicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio
    Posts
    7,502
    Thanks
    2,329
    Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Still haven't seen The Dark Knigh Rises. I keep saying I'll rent it, every weekend, but then I have no desire to watch it, but I'm curious to see it, because of all the different opinions.

    The Five Year Engagement - 4/10
    Dragged a bit. Had a few funny moments. The ending was cute, but not a memorable movie.
    Be excellent to each other.

  8. #1955
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    8,657
    Thanks
    4,600
    Thanked 8,662 Times in 3,226 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyFos. View Post
    We just disagree. Which is perfectly fine to do on the internets you troll.

    I just think in Hollywood going forward with the CGI explosion having a director who uses lots of action but tries to limit his CGI to "based in realism" as well as shooting numerous scenes from TDKR in small scale like the Tumbler falling through the ceiling and the plane falling apart. That just shows me conviction and that he doesn't want to cheat his viewers. Hopefully Tarantino has inspired people to put some thought into dialogue and to show people that good writing can make or break a movie. They're both good and inspirational in their own directing specialties.
    You can certainly disagree. You'd be wrong, but you can disagree.

    Also, I'm starting to think you don't know what "important" means. Your argument is basically "I love Nolan therefore he must be important." Importance implies having done something that paved the way for other filmmakers, or having created a style that other filmmakers went on to imitate.

    For example, Tarantino is important because he created Pulp Fiction, a film that dozens of other directors have spent two decades trying to imitate and will probably continue to try to imitate for another two decades, mostly unsuccessfully. As another example, Fincher is important because he created a visual style that other directors have tried to imitate, and also largely paved the way for other music video directors to make a break in Hollywood. Somewhat ironically, Nolan's visual style is largely aped from Fincher.

    Don't get me wrong...I love that Nolan uses practical effects and doesn't overly rely on CGI. It's just, none of that makes him important. There are tons of other directors who do the same and who did the same before Nolan. He didn't create a revolution of directors using practical effects, and he didn't create a film that everyone has since tried to imitate. The only thing you could really give him credit for is creating this new "gritty" superhero movie, but even then most other directors aren't aping it. In fact, Marvel went the total opposite direction with their movies (making them campy and fun, like the Golden Age comics they derived from) and found amazing success.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:


  10. #1956
    Ballplayer MattyFos.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,269
    Thanks
    12,582
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,688 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    You can certainly disagree. You'd be wrong, but you can disagree.

    Also, I'm starting to think you don't know what "important" means. Your argument is basically "I love Nolan therefore he must be important." Importance implies having done something that paved the way for other filmmakers, or having created a style that other filmmakers went on to imitate.

    For example, Tarantino is important because he created Pulp Fiction, a film that dozens of other directors have spent two decades trying to imitate and will probably continue to try to imitate for another two decades, mostly unsuccessfully. As another example, Fincher is important because he created a visual style that other directors have tried to imitate, and also largely paved the way for other music video directors to make a break in Hollywood. Somewhat ironically, Nolan's visual style is largely aped from Fincher.

    Don't get me wrong...I love that Nolan uses practical effects and doesn't overly rely on CGI. It's just, none of that makes him important. There are tons of other directors who do the same and who did the same before Nolan. He didn't create a revolution of directors using practical effects, and he didn't create a film that everyone has since tried to imitate. The only thing you could really give him credit for is creating this new "gritty" superhero movie, but even then most other directors aren't aping it. In fact, Marvel went the total opposite direction with their movies (making them campy and fun, like the Golden Age comics they derived from) and found amazing success.
    God damn Jack. You form a great argument. Lol. All great points. I just think moving forward in Hollywood that is leaning more towards popcorn flicks which make money at the box office Nolan's realism is something that may catch on. Probably not because it's easier to use CGI and tag the film as 3D than it is to shoot real with wires and CGI out the flaws. Show the film as it should be seen in. Imax instead of 3D. If TDK Trilogy and pulp both came out at the same time. Then I'd say, yes. Pulp is more important because hopefully this style directing and writing will stay. But it hasn't at least not on a large scale. But Pulp's style hasn't lasted. Nolan's still has a chance. I find it hard to explain what I mean.... I just see these CGI shitfests with no heart and they murder the box office. It sickens me. Which is why I've seen Django 3 times. I'm hoping my ticket purchases and ny blu ray purchases show Hollywood that if you put in the work you will reap the benefits by making great movies that people LOVE. Which is why I watch inception every 2 or 3 months. Nolan had GREAT CGI but it was an appetizer to the film. Not the entree. The main dish was Cobb and Mal. The heart of inception was a beautiful love story and a man who had to change the world to make up for a mistake. Movies lack that nowadays.

    I'm all over the place. Lol.
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

  11. #1957
    Bania'd RappSoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Side of CLE
    Posts
    7,292
    Thanks
    3,572
    Thanked 4,298 Times in 1,824 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Still haven't seen The Dark Knigh Rises. I keep saying I'll rent it, every weekend, but then I have no desire to watch it, but I'm curious to see it, because of all the different opinions.
    Rent it. In blu-ray if you can. It is at least a visual success and a great score. You can waiver on plot holes, feasibility, etc., but it is a well produced flick. For the record, I thought it was good but not great to the level of some other Nolan movies.

    Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

  12. #1958
    Slice & Dice SuperSurge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    5,276
    Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,168 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Crazy, Stupid, Love - 7/10

    Pretty funny for a chick flick.

  13. #1959
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,287
    Thanks
    24,744
    Thanked 28,883 Times in 9,232 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyFos. View Post
    Btw Jiglet, what if Nolan added a 30 minute stretch mid movie where Bruce is fighting in the courts for his lost fortune. How pissed would you have been?
    I'd have been far more entertained by that than the rest of the movie. But seriously...it wasn't even a necessary part of the plot! How could they not expect the audience to question that??


    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSurge View Post
    Crazy, Stupid, Love - 7/10

    Pretty funny for a chick flick.
    Fuck.

    You.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:


  15. #1960
    Slice & Dice SuperSurge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    6,137
    Thanks
    5,276
    Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,168 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    Fuck.

    You.
    You'd probably want to after watching that movie. I bet Ryan Gosling is just as tender as Adam Levine.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperSurge For This Useful Post:


  17. #1961
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,287
    Thanks
    24,744
    Thanked 28,883 Times in 9,232 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSurge View Post
    You'd probably want to after watching that movie. I bet Ryan Gosling is just as tender as Adam Levine.
    Post the horse dog pic again. Watching hockey with my bro in law right now. God, you guys look identical.

  18. #1962
    Ballplayer MattyFos.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,269
    Thanks
    12,582
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,688 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    Post the horse dog pic again. Watching hockey with my bro in law right now. God, you guys look identical.
    Did you confess your love to him too?
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

  19. #1963
    Rising Star dano_24_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Camp Anawanna
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    2,789
    Thanked 975 Times in 412 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Lars and the New Girl. Wtf. 6/10 just because of how different it was and how good Gosling was in it

  20. #1964
    Rising Star Tlyons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,213
    Thanks
    3,975
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 505 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    Quote Originally Posted by RappSoda View Post
    Saw Djigo errr Django a couple of nights ago. Finally.

    Overall, I do not feel that the "n" word was used inappropriately, although it was used liberally. I think it helped me see the movie as more authentic; I do believe that the word would have been used in such a nonchalant manner in 1860. Anyways, I'm not an aficionado of western style movies, but Django had a good balance of drama and comedy while keeping the viewer empathetic to the bounty hunter character. I thought the plot was wise, with the whole German connection. I also thought that Samuel L. was very good in his role. I'd see this movie again, although I'm not sure I think it is Tarantino's greatest work.

    7.5/10
    Man, Sam Jackson had me dying when they introduced his character.

  21. #1965
    Long Live The Idols MoneyMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Niles
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanks
    2,918
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 567 Posts

    Default Re: Rate the last movie you saw

    I've saw Django 4 times now. I think the thing that keeps me watching it is the music. Whoever picked the music for this movie deserves a raise.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •