View Poll Results: Who Will Win the 2012 Presidential Election?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

    70 60.87%
  • Mitt Romney

    42 36.52%
  • Electoral College Tie

    3 2.61%
Page 384 of 386 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386 LastLast
Results 5,746 to 5,760 of 5790
  1. #5746
    Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    14,634
    Thanks
    11,166
    Thanked 22,213 Times in 5,309 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardon View Post
    Every leader has their flaws. For instance, Lincoln wanted to send the slaves back to Africa.

    They say it takes 50 years to judge how good a president was.
    Many African-Americans, let alone white Americans, thought that was a good idea even into the 1920s. The Democratic Republic of Liberia was established in the 1840's as a possibility for this to happen. Consider the racial tension of the nation... it was left open as an option, but thankfully wasn't necessary.
    “He (Dellavedova) was doin' too much.” ~Paul George, January 5th

  2. #5747
    All Star BimboColesHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,636
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 5,267 Times in 1,416 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    So true. I consider Lincoln our greatest leader. My grandfather and I talk about Lincoln and his policies every time we are in the same room. Ohio has traditionally been Republican because of these critical years, but that was 150+ years ago. I doubt Lincoln would have been considered in a Democratic primary, let alone the Republican primary, in our society today. He was deeply opinionated and didn't bow down to rich influences easily. He was deeply principled.

    Look at how both Romney and Obama were forced to shape who they were around surveys and polls... I doubt America will see someone like Lincoln in the POTUS role again.
    That's my biggest problem with American politics today. We aren't electing the best leader, we are electing the man who conforms best with his party and the businesses that support said party and not the entire country. Recently, mostly with the Republicans, the candidate has to take an extremist stance in order to even gain the nomination for the presidency, which in turn makes a lot of voters skeptical as to what he would actually do if he was elected. Somewhere out there is the perfect President to get this country out of this hell hole, but he will never get the chance in today's political world because the parties are so brain washed and set on their ideas that anything that is different is borderline blasphemy to them. Shame.

    And my most liked quality about Lincoln has nothing to do with what he did politically. The amount of balls he showed when half of his own country wanted to see him dead was amazing. Only a few people know what it's like to have a large group of your own country men and women wanting you dead, yet you keep going out in public, refuse to change your stance on issues, and continue to rally your supporters. The only one who rivals Lincoln in that regard in the history of our country is MLK. I couldn't imagine what those two had to go through. But Lincoln is my #2 for favorite presidents, Teddy Roosevelt will always be my favorite.

    Edit: Forgot to add my favorite quote about our bipartisan government. "Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future."
    Last edited by BimboColesHair; 11-13-2012 at 01:32 AM.

  3. #5748
    Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    14,634
    Thanks
    11,166
    Thanked 22,213 Times in 5,309 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    One of the greatest things written by human hands about the history of U.S. presidents:


    http://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/2...d-win-and-why/

    Enjoy!
    “He (Dellavedova) was doin' too much.” ~Paul George, January 5th

  4. #5749
    Hall of Farmer Chardon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13,808
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked 7,335 Times in 2,606 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    One of the greatest things written by human hands about the history of U.S. presidents:


    http://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/2...d-win-and-why/

    Enjoy!
    I prefer this:
    http://www.sportspickle.com/toplist/...ential-box-off

  5. #5750
    Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    14,634
    Thanks
    11,166
    Thanked 22,213 Times in 5,309 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Chardon View Post
    I agree with the top 7, but Taft would be a tub of lard.
    “He (Dellavedova) was doin' too much.” ~Paul George, January 5th

  6. #5751
    BANNED Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor
    Posts
    17,134
    Thanks
    5,537
    Thanked 26,560 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Classic...

    Hillary can't make House hearing on Benghazi; busy visiting friends, wine tasting in Australia
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226512913666

  7. #5752
    ****face Damage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Jungle
    Posts
    10,864
    Thanks
    5,925
    Thanked 9,428 Times in 2,744 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    One of the greatest things written by human hands about the history of U.S. presidents:


    http://faceintheblue.wordpress.com/2...d-win-and-why/

    Enjoy!


    John Adams
    is going out early. Nothing against the man, but portly well-spoken lawyers bring lampoons to a knife fight. It doesn’t end well.
    Woodrow Wilson -
    A brilliant mind and a delicate physique. Dead very early.
    Jimmy Carter
    and a knife fight is a comical thought to me. Among the first dead would be my suspicion.


    For look as to historical rank,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori..._United_States

  8. #5753
    Back in 2002 OptimusPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,829
    Thanks
    1,402
    Thanked 4,094 Times in 1,581 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    If you want to know who the greatest presidents were according to the court historians, and therefore the history books, they are always the ones who killed the most people.
    “The State is not force alone. It depends upon the credulity of man quite as much as upon his docility. Its aim is not merely to make him obey, but also to make him want to obey.” - H.L. Mencken

  9. #5754
    Catch the wave Yanni Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gimpsuit
    Posts
    10,918
    Thanks
    4,122
    Thanked 8,756 Times in 3,473 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    So true. I consider Lincoln our greatest leader. My grandfather and I talk about Lincoln and his policies every time we are in the same room. Ohio has traditionally been Republican because of these critical years, but that was 150+ years ago. I doubt Lincoln would have been considered in a Democratic primary, let alone the Republican primary, in our society today. He was deeply opinionated and didn't bow down to rich influences easily. He was deeply principled.

    Look at how both Romney and Obama were forced to shape who they were around surveys and polls... I doubt America will see someone like Lincoln in the POTUS role again.
    We could see someone like Lincoln again. There's just going to have to be some serious campaign finance reform first.
    Ass pennies

  10. #5755
    BANNED Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor
    Posts
    17,134
    Thanks
    5,537
    Thanked 26,560 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Please sign my petition...

    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ation/xKLK11kk


    Keys made one too...

    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/Rfg4ZhhC































    Just so we are perfectly clear, i'm kidding.

  11. #5756
    Team Player
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked 465 Times in 205 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalu View Post
    We could see someone like Lincoln again. There's just going to have to be some serious campaign finance reform first.
    What campaign finance reform do we need?

    I know the answer will probably be "get big money out of it", and to a point I agree. In a perfect world, I would like to see (example, random numbers) a cap of $100 per person donation to the Presidential campaign, $25 to a Senate campaign, $20 to a House campaign and $10 to a state or local campaign. Donations could only be made to your potential representatives, not sending $25 to the Senator in Idaho when I am in Florida. In practice that sounds great.

    The two problems are 1) those caps prohibit my freedom of speech. If I want to donate $100,000 to a candidate I should be able to. Don't like it, give $100,000 to your candidate. Have it be in the open instead of hiding it behind some group with a patriotic sounding name. and 2) every "reform" creates more of a mess and unintended consequences. If there wasn't a ban for years on outside interests or corporations form contributing/advertising and Citizens United didn't have to sue, we probably wouldn't have all these Super PACswith multi-million budgets that we do now. At least they wouldn't be so centrally organized. Corporations would still send lobbyists to Washington to gain political favors.

    What we really need is more debating. Three scripted debates don't do anything to show what the candidates really stand for, just sound bites being thrown back and forth. I would like a debate every two weeks from the end of conventions until the elections. Two hours each debate. Little moderation, more like Lincoln-Douglas. Any candidate that is on a majority of state ballots would be included. After every third debate, America could have a call in vote via phone or text message, and if a candidate/party didn't get 5% of that total, they aren't invited to the next round of debates. The Green, Socialist, Libertarians and anyone who can get on a majority of state ballots for President would be in the first series.

  12. #5757
    Back in 2002 OptimusPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    4,829
    Thanks
    1,402
    Thanked 4,094 Times in 1,581 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by southernflyer View Post
    What campaign finance reform do we need?

    I know the answer will probably be "get big money out of it", and to a point I agree. In a perfect world, I would like to see (example, random numbers) a cap of $100 per person donation to the Presidential campaign, $25 to a Senate campaign, $20 to a House campaign and $10 to a state or local campaign. Donations could only be made to your potential representatives, not sending $25 to the Senator in Idaho when I am in Florida. In practice that sounds great.

    The two problems are 1) those caps prohibit my freedom of speech. If I want to donate $100,000 to a candidate I should be able to. Don't like it, give $100,000 to your candidate. Have it be in the open instead of hiding it behind some group with a patriotic sounding name. and 2) every "reform" creates more of a mess and unintended consequences. If there wasn't a ban for years on outside interests or corporations form contributing/advertising and Citizens United didn't have to sue, we probably wouldn't have all these Super PACswith multi-million budgets that we do now. At least they wouldn't be so centrally organized. Corporations would still send lobbyists to Washington to gain political favors.

    What we really need is more debating. Three scripted debates don't do anything to show what the candidates really stand for, just sound bites being thrown back and forth. I would like a debate every two weeks from the end of conventions until the elections. Two hours each debate. Little moderation, more like Lincoln-Douglas. Any candidate that is on a majority of state ballots would be included. After every third debate, America could have a call in vote via phone or text message, and if a candidate/party didn't get 5% of that total, they aren't invited to the next round of debates. The Green, Socialist, Libertarians and anyone who can get on a majority of state ballots for President would be in the first series.
    Excellent points. Campaign finance reform means nothing. The only way to keep special interests from buying politicians is to take away the government's power to grant them favors. That would also take away their ability to centrally plan the economy though, so people have been indoctrinated not to like that idea.
    “The State is not force alone. It depends upon the credulity of man quite as much as upon his docility. Its aim is not merely to make him obey, but also to make him want to obey.” - H.L. Mencken

  13. #5758
    Veteran Soar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio/Scotland
    Posts
    8,879
    Thanks
    3,436
    Thanked 10,806 Times in 3,079 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Israel going after Hamas, Libya interrogations, CIA scandal, falling stock market, "fiscal cliff," large debt. Fun times.

  14. #5759
    ^ kind of a big deal! cavsfan1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City,UT
    Posts
    1,852
    Thanks
    1,555
    Thanked 810 Times in 425 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    This thread has taken a noticeable nose dive sense the election. I used to be to get on here and have a good discussion on important points. It has turned into this is my view, and shove it down everyone throat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Israel going after Hamas, Libya interrogations, CIA scandal, falling stock market, "fiscal cliff," large debt. Fun times.
    These are the issues we should be talking about. This fiscal cliff is the real deal, who knows what is going to happen in Israel. The rest of this year, and 1st Q next year could be very rocky, and bad for the country. I hope Obama is ready to be the mediator we need in congress, and push both sides to meet in the middle and give on both sides. SO far it has seemed like his approach is, my way, or I will lead the country to the cliff. I hope I am wrong, and both sides get their heads out of their ass and do whats best for the long-tern of this country.

    I am also getting annoyed, that 250K/year is the sticking point for who is rich and who is not rich. I think taxes should only increase on those over 500K and up. 250K for a family is not much for a middle class family in NY, or Cali.

  15. #5760
    Hall of Farmer Chardon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13,808
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked 7,335 Times in 2,606 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Presidential Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Israel going after Hamas, Libya interrogations, CIA scandal, falling stock market, "fiscal cliff," large debt. Fun times.
    Yeah, but, we can totally get free birth control from the Government! That alone triumphs over everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by cavsfan1985 View Post
    This thread has taken a noticeable nose dive sense the election. I used to be to get on here and have a good discussion on important points. It has turned into this is my view, and shove it down everyone throat.



    These are the issues we should be talking about. This fiscal cliff is the real deal, who knows what is going to happen in Israel. The rest of this year, and 1st Q next year could be very rocky, and bad for the country. I hope Obama is ready to be the mediator we need in congress, and push both sides to meet in the middle and give on both sides. SO far it has seemed like his approach is, my way, or I will lead the country to the cliff. I hope I am wrong, and both sides get their heads out of their ass and do whats best for the long-tern of this country.

    I am also getting annoyed, that 250K/year is the sticking point for who is rich and who is not rich. I think taxes should only increase on those over 500K and up. 250K for a family is not much for a middle class family in NY, or Cali.
    Don't you understand? Every rich person is Bill Gates rich. What do you think the rich people do with that money? Own a business employing people? Think about the social issues like free weed man!

    But on the reals, if I had enough money I wouldn't miss, I would go in on LULU, PVH, and VFC.
    Last edited by Chardon; 11-14-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •