Page 206 of 589 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 8830
    Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I have predicted multiple times that Thompson doesn't "get-it" until year 4 minimum.
    That sounds about right to me. Thompson's a long term project and projects take years. That's why it's important to get project players that have a good attitude and work ethic. You need a project that stays focused on the gym and the game instead of late night parties with paid ladies and nearly eating himself out the league like Diop did.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    That sounds about right to me. Thompson's a long term project and projects take years. That's why it's important to get project players that have a good attitude and work ethic. You need a project that stays focused on the gym and the game instead of late night parties with paid ladies and nearly eating himself out the league like Diop did.
    Or banging your way out of the league like Christian Eyenga and his twitter pickups. There are some valid concerns with Thompson, but it's still way too early to judge. You also can't overlook the culture Tristan is growing in. If he were on the Kings or the Wizards I would definitely be worried, but he's got the support of his teammates, Coach Scott, plus he's got a defensive dynamo in Varejao that can help him learn some tricks of the trade.

I'll admit again there are some valid concerns about Tristan, but he's being further hindered by playing alongside Varejao at this juncture. Defensive Rebounding should be his biggest focus this year, not jump-shots or anything fancy. Screen setting and defensive boards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 775 Posts

Tristan will not be out of the league in the near future because his character will not let him too. Coaches love players like TT who just works hard.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

The problem for many is Thompson was a raw project that was going to take time and even then his ceiling doesn't appear that high and that PF is the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Also has already been brought up that it would be acceptable to all if he was a mid 1st round pick but he was taken 4th overall even if it wasn't the strongest draft. You can find Thompson level talent in the mid first round in almost every draft.
    I hope Thompson continues to develop. I do think he can have a long career but question if he should be considered a core piece. It is too soon to make a final judgment. His game and the weaknesses in it though have also affected and will continue to affect the Cavs strategy going forward in building the team. A different direction or taking a more skilled player at his position at some point would make the building process easier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Makes you wonder why Faried dropped so low. Both limited offensively. Faried has better hands, higher IQ, quicker feet, better FT%. It's true he has had a lot more talent around him. Maybe it's cuz he went to Morehead St and Tristan went to Texas.
    UNLEASH THE KARASEV

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ice cream man For This Useful Post:

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    his ceiling doesn't appear that high.
    You say that like we all know what his ceiling is.

My guess is that you think his ceiling tops out at being an Anderson Varejao defense and energy guy.

Did I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    PF is the easiest position to fill in the NBA
    So you are saying that the Cavs should have passed on the guy they thought was the best player available, not because they had Varejao and Hickson, but because it's easy to fill the PF position in the NBA? I'm not sure that's a good reason to pass on a player, or even true.
    Last edited by Douglar; 11-04-2012 at 04:26 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Makes you wonder why Faried dropped so low. Both limited offensively. Faried has better hands, higher IQ, quicker feet, better FT%. It's true he has had a lot more talent around him. Maybe it's cuz he went to Morehead St and Tristan went to Texas.
    I agree. Tristian just fits the mold of what a lot of these hybrid PF's look like... 6'9"-6'11" athletic, can run the floor, get off the ground etc...

Jerry Sloan used to say something that I loved when it came to some of the younger talented players around the league.. A few times I heard him say "he has a lot to work on.... but he also has a lot to work with"

Tristan just by being an athlete doesn't suggest he has a lot to work with... There's a feel for the game that is lacking.. Joakim Noah doesn't have a lot of talent, isn't that athletic, but he has a great feel/understanding of the game...Knows how to pass, position himself on the glass just something to help and contribute... Tristan just needs to bring something to contribute... And I agree he is in no way a starter caliber player...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doctor K For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

I'll give Grant the benefit of the doubt since Dion looks at least solid.

That draft was a crapshoot after Irving. Even JV can't stay on the floor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    I agree. Tristian just fits the mold of what a lot of these hybrid PF's look like... 6'9"-6'11" athletic, can run the floor, get off the ground etc...

Jerry Sloan used to say something that I loved when it came to some of the younger talented players around the league.. A few times I heard him say "he has a lot to work on.... but he also has a lot to work with"

Tristan just by being an athlete doesn't suggest he has a lot to work with... There's a feel for the game that is lacking.. Joakim Noah doesn't have a lot of talent, isn't that athletic, but he has a great feel/understanding of the game...Knows how to pass, position himself on the glass just something to help and contribute... Tristan just needs to bring something to contribute... And I agree he is in no way a starter caliber player...

Right. And feel for the game, which can literally only be measured by an individual and their opinion, and can only be measured in an organized 5 on 5 game, is the #1 thing scouts should be focused on. I mean, evaluating talent/skill is easy compared to that. Some of these advanced stats of "TT drew more fouls than any other player blah blah blah" aren't a big deal. College games and NBA are two different things. I could have told you while they were in college that Faried would be a better pick and roll defender than Tristan.
    UNLEASH THE KARASEV

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    You say that like we all know what his ceiling is.

My guess is that you think his ceiling tops out at being an Anderson Varejao defense and energy guy.

Did I get that right?

So you are saying that the Cavs should have passed on the guy they thought was the best player available, not because they had Varejao and Hickson, but because it's easy to fill the PF position in the NBA? I'm not sure that's a good reason to pass on a player, or even true.
    I don't even think his ceiling is Varejao. Thompson can play in the league but from college to right now and based on his raw unskilled game, he hasn't given the impression he'll be anything more than an average to hopefully slightly above average PF. A PF at that level isn't that hard to find. I don't think he's shown he can be some dominant defensive player like many seem to believe either. Like I say with every young player, it's too early to make a complete judgment but you can at least get some idea of a player. Did try to say what his ceiling may "appear" to be, not what it definitely is. His awkwardness and lack of skill make it hard to think he's going to be able to become a well rounded player and means the Cavs are going to have to put skilled shooters/scorers around him on the frontline.

Cavs may have believed he was the best player but most others didn't share that belief and I'm not just referring to fans. I compared him last year to possibly having a Tyrone Hill like career if he fully develops. That's fine I did like Tyrone as a Cav but is that worth taking at the 4th overall pick and does it help lead to a championship contending team?
    Also if Cavs go in different direction in the 2011 draft they may not have had to make the Zeller trade and could have had Perry Jones at #24 this year and been able to choose from some intriguing talent early in the 2nd round. That could have improved depth and added more young talent as trade assets.

I don't hate Thompson and hope I'm wrong and he succeeds beyond these expectations. Maybe it didn't seem that way but I'm not making a final judgment on him, just an observation from watching players develop in the past.
    Last edited by NarlCavs; 11-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

I think he will fit into the scheme of things. Nothing spectacular but a consistent 14 pt 8 reb guy. You may think thats bad for a #4 pick, but I doubt any bigs from that draft do any better.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 4,810 Posts

I have an eye on the Toronto game right now, and Jonas looks like a part-time starting bigman as well. He is reminding me of Zeller, to be honest with you. I think the Cavs will look back at the Tristan pick and say, "Boy, we really blew it passing on Klay Thompson."
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

People actually think he's regressed because of these 3 game? Tristan is a project, and the longer he takes to develop the better because it allows us to get go picks while we wait. If he "gets it" in his 5th season then he will be signed to a smaller contract than he would be if he "gets it" in his fourth. That's only good for our team imo because Kyrie is going to be a max guy, Dion looks like he could be a max guy, and hopefully whatever pick we get this year is a max guy too. If Tristan is a max guy we have 60+ million going out between 4 guys, and with the new CBA that's not sustainable in Cleveland.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    I have an eye on the Toronto game right now, and Jonas looks like a part-time starting bigman as well. He is reminding me of Zeller, to be honest with you. I think the Cavs will look back at the Tristan pick and say, "Boy, we really blew it passing on Klay Thompson."
    jonas is also playing his third nba game ever.

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 4,810 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    jonas is also playing his third nba game ever.
    Well aware of that. They could develop into solid starters, but the point of my post is that Klay Thompson has already shown that he is a guy who deserves to play 30+ minutes a night. We haven't seen that from TT or Jonas. I do think the national media sees more potential in Tristan than Cavs fans see... which is unusual to say the least.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post: