Page 242 of 589 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 8830
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,329 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Yeah Reggie Evans is that... You can get Kenyon Martin to come in on league minimum to provide that as well...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doctor K For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    I can respect that except--- this is a man... 6 foot 9... Long arms, long legs... NOT FAT... Can run, can jump and that's about it.... There is NO semblance of an NBA caliber player within this man.... If I saw him on the street I would assume he plays basketball... That is until I actually saw him play basketball... Then I would think he's just a tall man living in this world who works at Enterprise Rent-A-Car or something...

He is terrible on a terrible team....He is useless on a good team unless you want this non fat man with long arms, legs, and can breathe to foul a TALENTED player 6 times..... That's it....

Tristan Thompson is taking up a young mans spot on an NBA roster..... Kinda like Luke Harangody...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adriano_leite For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Yeah Reggie Evans is that... You can get Kenyon Martin to come in on league minimum to provide that as well...
    Fact is Tristan is still very young for a big, and he is making contributions right now with his rebounding, energy, and defense.

We all would have love to see him looking more comfortable and skilled offensively - and showing more awareness, but he has it harder than a lot of young bigs who are constantly set up for uncontested dunks. Fact is, it's easier to win with a big who's solid in D & offensive rebounding and shaky on offense, than an offensively talented big that grabs defensive rebounds, but provides little D.

Heck, look at the Bulls. Having Noah lets them play Loozer, but they're more effective when Noah is on the court than when Loozer is.

82games updated to the 20th, and Thomspon still leads the team in On Court +/-, Net +/-, and "Simple Rating".

Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Fact is Tristan is still very young for a big, and he is making contributions right now with his rebounding, energy, and defense.

We all would have love to see him looking more comfortable and skilled offensively - and showing more awareness, but he has it harder than a lot of young bigs who are constantly set up for uncontested dunks. Fact is, it's easier to win with a big who's solid in D & offensive rebounding and shaky on offense, than an offensively talented big that grabs defensive rebounds, but provides little D.

Heck, look at the Bulls. Having Noah lets them play Loozer, but they're more effective when Noah is on the court than when Loozer is.

82games updated to the 20th, and Thomspon still leads the team in On Court +/-, Net +/-, and "Simple Rating".
    Really? I see Tristan setup for easy finishes all the time and he seems to make it much harder on himself. A lot of the grumbling on here is because he doesn't seem to know what to do if given the ball within 5 feet of the basket (i.e. takes too long to gather, has to go up with two hands, no idea how to use the rim to protect himself against the shot block)
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    Really? I see Tristan setup for easy finishes all the time and he seems to make it much harder on himself. A lot of the grumbling on here is because he doesn't seem to know what to do if given the ball within 5 feet of the basket (i.e. takes too long to gather, has to go up with two hands, no idea how to use the rim to protect himself against the shot block)
    Besides the Washington game, I can't remember many times. Kyrie was doing too much one on one, and the team has not been rotating the ball as much as they should. Being "set up" and getting an offensive rebound in a crowd are two different things. No, he is not good in a crowd, but that's an understanding that still needs to develop. He has a decent touch around the hoop. I think he will eventually improve in that area.
    UNLEASH THE KARASEV

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    I saw him run a P&R the other day with Pargo or perhaps Sloan (don't recall which), he got the ball in stride and dunked fluidly. It's a two way street.

I think he could throw down an alley oop just fine, but can't say I recall someone actually passing him the ball where he had a chance to do it.

Remember how Tyson Chandler looked like hot shit until he started playing with CP3? A PG who knows what their doing and an offense that can space the floor correctly can make a raw offensive big look good.

Yes, he could keep the ball high, go up quicker, and fend off defenders with his off-hand. He could also learn to use the backboard like Andy. All of those things would help his game and help him finish in traffic, but the guys around him could make it easier too.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm still not ready to pronounce him a bust like many of you, but I certainly don't see a whole lot that makes me feel he will be any more than an average defensive bench player on a good team. I guess most of the obvious problems that have been pointed out could be improved with development/experience and he seems hard working, but I'm not really seeing much progress in them so far. Too bad, seems like a nice kid...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigErieCavsFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 948 Posts

Kenyon Martin has no future and no upside.

Kenyon Martin came into this league as a player who developed in college for 4 years before stepping foot on a pro floor.

Tristan came in as an admittedly raw 19 year old player with one year of college ball.

Disappointed in him so far Pip? Cool. His development hasn't been rocket fast and in year two, he's certainly not yet where the Cavs would like him to be.

But is he at the point of "pass final judgement time" or suggesting that we'd be better off of just as well off using his roster space on 35+ year old vets? You know better than that, right? You do, right?

Rising Star
    Thanks

Byron Scott had K-Mart in New Jersey and might see him as a positive, veteran influence for Thompson. I don't see them signing K-Mart until Varejao is traded, which I expect at some point prior to the trade deadline. Heck, K-Mart might even have some trade value to a contending club, at the deadline, if he plays well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,544 Posts

What are people projecting Tristan Thompson going to be among his legion of defenders? He gets basically the same type of setup as Varejao and Varejao has a much higher TS% and FG% (55.5%/51.8% vs 46.3%/42.9%). And before we can chalk this up to experience, Varejao in every single season has had a higher FG% and TS% then Thompson has had so far

I see Thompson becoming a Jordan Hill type: solid big for a contending team. Hill is probably the epitome of a replacement level big on a decent team. A guy like Hill also has the same type of game as Thompson: crash the boards, play defense, and finish off the scraps. Hill has about the same rebound percentage as Thompson but unlike Thompson he's always had a decent FG% and TS%. So even if Thompson gets better at finishing that may only get him to a Hill type of level of efficiency. (Hill has put up similar shooting number in NYK, Hou, and LAL so it's not that he's just getting easier buckets then Thompson)
    Last edited by Pioneer10; 11-23-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Okay, this thread has gone into complete bullshit territory.

Since the last 2 months of last season the Cavaliers have stopped running plays for Thompson and stopped the post touches. This is the reason why his usage rate has dropped so much this year.

All of Thompson's shots come ftom either offensive rebounds or 0-1 dribble catch and finishes. He gets spoonfed and he's still awful at finishing and around the basket when it isn't a tip dunk

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

It's so frustrating because sometimes you'll see Thompson make his quick move into the paint, he clearly beats his man with quickness and throws up a really nice looking baby hook-shot high up in the paint, it looks like it's going in, but it never does.

The other thing is his indecisiveness when he gets the ball and is expected to pass it back. I'd absolutely love to see Zeller starting with Anderson.

I thought Thompson looked a little bit better when he got to run the second unit with Pargo as the PG. Something about it looked pretty good to me. Part of me thinks Thompson is just lost in the shuffle with this new lineup. Thompson and Andy do similar things on the court, and we should have known that the two of them wouldn't look great together (props RabMan).

Then you have Dion and Kyrie who are kind of like Thompson and Andy, both players have similar games and the whole team is acclimating to this lineup.

I just think Thompson would thrive coming off the bench. If watching him has taught me anything, it's that Thompson is not starter quality. Zeller on the other hand has the understanding of where to be on the court and looks to be possibly starter material in the future (although both should be our bench bigs when we are contending)

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I think Thompson is looking more and more like a Reggie Evans type of bench big that comes in hustles grabs boards, misses free throws, and plays some O.K defense.

We should all know Byron Scotts code language by now. Just take the opposite of what he's saying and you will have the truth.

"Omri is a Bulldog" Omri is a bitch, (female poodle dog)

"CP3 is going to eat Kyrie's heart" Kyries gonna light this little man up

"Tristan Thompson is the most improved Cavalier" Tristan Thompson hasn't improved one micron
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 11-23-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Horse Shit 4 Grammar I'dun Told Ya

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I interpreted this to mean that Noah is useless on offense. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,853 Times in 1,879 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    I interpreted this to mean that Noah is useless on offense. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Joakim Noah is one of my favorite non-Cavs.

I cant help it. I can deal with guys who get so caught up in the spirit of competition that they are annoying that they are not on my team. Dennis Rodman was this way. Rasheed Wallace. Reggie Evans. Kenyon Martin. Anderson for sure (though he has always been on my team and will always play for me in my heart no matter where he goes as long as he brings back a lottery pick)

I really fell in love with Tyson Chandlers competitive spirit during that Finals, as all Cleveland fans did. But since then, I just appreciate his IQ so much more and all the subtle ways he impacts a game.

All of the guys I named have bulldog in them, and that allows them and their competitiveness to still have such a positive impact on the offensive side of the court.

Tristan, just doesnt have it
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,377 Posts

I knew Rch's long post about Joe Tait's book inspiring him to just root for Tristan and enjoy his growth wouldn't last long.

What were you on when you typed up that post?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gimme Some Mo For This Useful Post: