Page 281 of 622 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 9323
    Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,618 Times in 4,306 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    He has had professional coaching for over a year now (with a full off-season) and potentially looks more woeful on offense now than ever.

How is that possible?

He brings a Rodman/Wallace level of offensive skill to the game without the Rodman/Wallace level of defense/rebounding.
    Yes, because Rodman and Wallace came into the league as all-world defenders. Please.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BimboColesHair View Post
    I've said this enough, but my feelings still remain, he is not as terrible as people here make him out to be. Yes, he is bad on offense, but that's not the only side of the ball you play on. His rebounding, especially defensively, is much better, he blocks out better, and he just looks better on defense this year all around. He still gets young guy bullshit calls on him, but he is still a solid post defender. Offensively, well, I pray he visits Moron Mountain this off season and gets some help from the Monstars cause dude has a long way to go.
    Your description after the statement in bold seems fairly accurate as to what people here make him out to be, for the most part.

He's a big enough body who provides solid, though certainly not yet stellar, defense and rebounding with little to offer offensively, such general lack of offensive skill being compounded by his weakness in doing the one thing that young, athletic, offensively raw/unskilled bigs are often able to do effectively on offense -- that is, successfully performing the "slam dunk shot" when finding themselves at the rim with possession and congestion.

Maybe that doesn't necessarily warrant the degree of disappointment in his ability/value/development thus far that often gets conveyed around here (certainly including myself in that), but I don't think it warrants any confident projections of him being some major piece of a championship contender eventually, either, especially if such talk is based upon imputing additions and repairs to his game that can only be discussed because of his youth.

And that's the goal that forms the basis of any of these discussions, right... a Title in Cleveland.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narbar32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,336 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narbar32 View Post
    Your description after the statement in bold seems fairly accurate as to what people here make him out to be, for the most part.

He's a big enough body who provides solid, though certainly not yet stellar, defense and rebounding with little to offer offensively, such general lack of offensive skill being compounded by his weakness in doing the one thing that young, athletic, offensively raw/unskilled bigs are often able to do effectively on offense -- that is, successfully performing the "slam dunk shot" when finding themselves at the rim with possession and congestion.

Maybe that doesn't necessarily warrant the degree of disappointment in his ability/value/development thus far that often gets conveyed around here (certainly including myself in that), but I don't think it warrants any confident projections of him being some major piece of a championship contender eventually, either, especially if such talk is based upon imputing additions and repairs to his game that can only be discussed because of his youth.

And that's the goal that forms the basis of any of these discussions, right... a Title in Cleveland.
    perhaps it would do some fans well to focus less on a title and more on the team being respectable again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homer Safari For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,618 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post
    perhaps it would do some fans well to focus less on a title and more on the team being respectable again.
    Yeah, some people forget that you have to walk before you can run. This team is still crawling, but we're crawling hard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYoung23 View Post
    Improvement in what.
    Well for one, he's getting rid of the ball when he should whereas last season if he got the ball he was going to take a shot come hell or high water.
    His footwork around the basket has improved.
    He has gotten stronger.
    He reacting quicker instead of hesitating.

If you really are going to act like Tristan hasn't gotten better from last year you must not be paying attention. What did you really expect out of him offensively this year? The guy is raw and its going to take him some time to learn to have that touch around the basket. The cavs didn't draft him to be a low post scoring option, they drafted him for his rebounding and defense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KingDelonte13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 786 Posts

I have not seen any improvement offensively, at all. I will say he has greatly improved his defensive rebounding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Coming out of his shell.. Lumthemad's Avatar
    Thanks

It was nice to hear Byron come out and say what he wants and needs for Tristan to do on the air. It might allow fans to cool it a bit about expectations offensively for the kid.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. When you don't get plays ran for you, it tends to interupt your offensive flow. He doesn't deserve plays ran for him, mind you...but if we wanted him to have a better feel for that side of the ball, we should involve him more on that side. The biggest improvement i've seen out of his game this season is the willingness to move the ball when he's passing the ball up top.
    Sometimes madness is the best kind of logic

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumthemad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The kid was an absolute black hole on offense last year, just would not pass the ball. He understands his role better this year. As others have said he is moving the ball when he should and functioning a bit better in the offense. Last season, if he had the ball he was faking one way, going the other and getting stuffed at the rim. This year he is playing much more under control, you don't see him forcing as much. He still pretty much sucks at finishing in traffic, but I think he is getting a better feel for what types of shot he needs to be taking. He's making baby steps, but at least he is making steps.
    "These are the last days, but do I seem fazed?
    Showed up to the last supper in some brand new J's"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goldin Brown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldin Brown View Post
    The kid was an absolute black hole on offense last year, just would not pass the ball. He understands his role better this year. As others have said he is moving the ball when he should and functioning a bit better in the offense. Last season, if he had the ball he was faking one way, going the other and getting stuffed at the rim. This year he is playing much more under control, you don't see him forcing as much. He still pretty much sucks at finishing in traffic, but I think he is getting a better feel for what types of shot he needs to be taking. He's making baby steps, but at least he is making steps.
    TT shot too much last year, this year he doesn't shoot enough. It is good that at least he is able to change his game from one season to the next, even if he isn't better this year.

Team Player
    Thanks

When TT was drafted it seems to me the consensus among people who know basketball was that he'd be a 3,4 or even 5 year project before he would mature as a player and come into his own.

Now I come here and see people crucifying him because he hasn't gotten to that maturity level in a little over a year.

People need to chill and learn some patience.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to buzzdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzzdog View Post
    When TT was drafted it seems to me the consensus among people who know basketball was that he'd be a 3,4 or even 5 year project before he would mature as a player and come into his own.

Now I come here and see people crucifying him because he hasn't gotten to that maturity level in a little over a year.

People need to chill and learn some patience.
    I think some of it is because we don't want to be disappointed by high picks not turning into at least above average players. And if they don't LOOK good out there, nor have any impressive stats, that's as far as they look. I guess people are fixated on getting a team of good players over getting a double-cross super star, but let's face it. This is the path Grant chose, and whether or not Thompson stays with us, he at least going to have a better career than the other half of this current roster.

But we still are missing a future big man and a future starting swingman. You can't observe every game under a stethoscope for Thompson, or you'll only see byte-sized pieces of promise. I can guarantee even if he never looks natural, he will have a spot in this league, because he is the hard-working type.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    I have not seen any improvement offensively, at all. I will say he has greatly improved his defensive rebounding.
    Actually, I think his passing has improved from last year. Course, it had no where to go but up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    I think some of it is because we don't want to be disappointed by high picks not turning into at least above average players. And if they don't LOOK good out there, nor have any impressive stats, that's as far as they look. I guess people are fixated on getting a team of good players over getting a double-cross super star, but let's face it. This is the path Grant chose, and whether or not Thompson stays with us, he at least going to have a better career than the other half of this current roster.

But we still are missing a future big man and a future starting swingman. You can't observe every game under a stethoscope for Thompson, or you'll only see byte-sized pieces of promise. I can guarantee even if he never looks natural, he will have a spot in this league, because he is the hard-working type.
    Which is to say he is not going to be a Diop or Wagner level bust. In fact, in all probability he will be better than Hickson. If he sucks when he gets to be Zellers age, we can talk about bust, until then he is a work in progress.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CleveRocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,136 Times in 9,903 Posts

Funny he mentioned Diop. He hit two jumpers for the Bobcats last night.
    Thanks everyone for the LeBron bets. All debts are paid on your behalves. I was happy to lose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,731 Times in 1,752 Posts

What was Prove It's old username?
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis