Page 285 of 618 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 9261
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 503 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggles View Post
    does this guy shit in every thread?
    Yup, then accuses other posters of exaggeration, going to extremes, being dramatic, and exalting themselves as an expert... all while exaggerating, going to extremes, being dramatic, and exalting himself as an expert. Irony at it's finest with every post.

That said, he's right to be concerned about the PF position. Thompson is bad right now, and I'm not sure where people see this massive improvement from clumsy, lost and offensively deficient to serviceable PF on a title contender is going to come from.

Lastly, the reason he sits late in close games is pretty simple. He's one of the worst FT shooters in the league and there's no need to guard him outside the paint whatsoever, which kills Kyrie's ability to get to the rim. This team DESPERATELY needs a big who can shoot/score in the post. It's glaring.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlegg21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Tristan Thompson faces an impatient Cleveland Cavaliers fan base

CLEVELAND—The Cavaliers play downtown, but they practise in the edge city of Independence in an ill-named facility called Cleveland Clinic Courts.

They built it for LeBron James, in order to shorten his drive in from Akron by 10 minutes.

Today, all the organization’s survivors have to schlep out there every morning so that Dan Gilbert didn’t pay $25 million for nothing.

At the entrance to the football-field sized practice courts, there’s a memory wall. In a nice, Stalinesque touch, it includes only two pictures of James.

Lots of Brad Daugherty. A family album’s worth. Two pictures of the best player in club (and perhaps league) history.

The team may be working to erase the recent past, but the fan base here can’t forget the man until they’ve moved past him.

Winning NBA franchises generally fade out. After James left, the Cavaliers cut to black.

That’s left a charged atmosphere behind, and precious little patience for rebuilding (the Browns and Indians not helping much in that regard).

Exhibit A — Brampton’s Tristan Thompson.

Cleveland knew what they were getting when they took the lengthy University of Texas freshman fourth in the 2011 draft — an energetic defender, an athletic rebounder, a willing student and an offensive work in progress.

Less than a year after his arrival, the city’s already looking very deliberately at its watch.

Some in the media have already launched that most backhanded U.S. compliment — “Canadian” — in questioning Thompson’s lack of brutishness in the paint. Others haven’t been able to resist a side-by-side comparison with the player picked after him, Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas.

“They are?” Thompson says when asked about the talk, bemused. “To be honest, I don’t read anything in the media.”

Then he launches unprompted into an appreciation of the nuances of Valanciunas’ game that suggests he’s been paying pretty close attention. He ends with this: “He’s a 7-footer. When you’re seven feet, you’ve got nothing to worry about offensively.”

Thompson is 6-foot-9. There’s a touch of wistfulness in his voice as he says it.

So you’re saying if I was seven feet tall . . . ?

It’s a playful question, but Thompson pretends seriousness. He looks me up and down, nodding approvingly.

“As long as you’d played hard and learned to rebound, you’d have been in the NBA.”

This is a hard kid not to love. In this one instance, a liar, but one that leads with his heart.

Thompson’s latest project is his shot, an ungainly, multi-platform delivery that rises up like a backhoe clawing at masonry.

The Cavs have been trying to both polish and quicken Thompson’s delivery. In the early going this season, he is amongst the league’s most blocked shot-takers. The Cavs brought veteran Zydrunas Ilgauskas (pictures on memory wall: 2) to help him sharpen his mechanics.

This is more than fine-tuning. It’s re-education.

“Balance. That was my thing,” Thompson says. “I was using more arms than legs. I’ve gotta get underneath my shot, jump — not just set and use all arms.”

At the end of practice, Thompson spends long minutes trying a variety of free-throw approaches. First, ramrod straight. Then, with a slight dip in the knees. Finally, a deep bend. They get worse as they go along. The ball cannons back repeatedly off the front of the rim. You can hear Thompson thinking a great distance away.

“You have to start from the ground up — feet, legs, arms, flick your wrist, don’t put your palm on the ball,” he says. “After that, you’ve gotta be confident.”

Easy to say. Even at this level, hard to do.

One basket over, rookie Tyler Zeller (a true 7-footer) is metronomically sinking free throws while carrying on an animated conversation with a teammate.

After breaking his cheekbone in early November, Zeller has begun eating into Thompson’s minutes since returning. Thompson has started every game this year, usually alongside veteran centre Anderson Varejao, but at 21 years old, he can already feel the next generation’s breath on his shoulder.

Alongside defending rookie of the year Kyrie Irving and the No. 4 pick from this last draft, guard Dion Waiters, Thompson remains the future of this organization (if Zeller wants to be a starter, he’ll have to steal the job from that rebounding black hole, Varejao).

The question, of course, is when that future arrives. Showing unusual feel for the history of the game, Thompson plays league sociologist.

“The NBA’s changed. In the late ’90s and early 2000s, there was a stretch where guys were starting to come out when they were a little more seasoned. Now we’re younger. Guys from Europe are coming out as soon as they’re eligible,” he says. “You gotta be patient. It’s not ’03, when you had LeBron, Melo. Guys are going to take longer to develop . . . You might not have a bunch of hall of famers, guys like LeBron James . . . but we’ve got solid NBA players, guys who are going to play hard.”

There’s that name again. Twice.

Even when he’s been scrubbed from the official history, James still hangs over this club like a lingering smell.

Though perhaps he should be, Thompson doesn’t sound daunted. That’s what separates the pros from everyone else. He remains driven by the quality that first drew the Cavs to him — work ethic. His mom drove a bus. Though his son is now a multi-millionaire, his dad still drives a truck for a living.

“Some guys are glad to be here. Some guys want to be the best.”

And you?

A small smile.

“I wanna give guys a hard time.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...liers-fan-base
    Last edited by Numbers Guy; 12-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Thanks

TT v. JV. IT'S GOIN DOWN.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,520 Times in 4,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    THEY WON'T BE CONTENT UNTIL NEITHER WINS!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

TT it setting better screens, so I am happier tonight.

there you go TT, slam that shit @2:15

Thanks
    Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,151 Posts

You can't even glance in TT's direction to run an offensive play. It's 4 on 5 every single play. TT is hot maggoty garbage and I'll give him one more year to prove otherwise. Either step up as an elite defender or be a little good at both.

Thanks

Tristan is shooting 50% from the field in the month of December so far (10 games)... Hopefully he can keep it up, definitely shown some improvements on offense, but we'll see...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    10 pts-9 reb vs. 8 pts-7 reb!!! WE WON!!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy7207 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7207 View Post
    We have the better mediocre big man! Its like winning the the first undercard fight when the main event is scheduled four fights later.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel89 View Post
    Tristan is shooting 50% from the field in the month of December so far (10 games)... Hopefully he can keep it up, definitely shown some improvements on offense, but we'll see...
    TT has been looking better lately. His post game has been slowly improving especially in the face-up aspect of it. He has actually been dribbling and maneuvering around the post, and it's been working. I hope he continues this.

Rising Star
    Thanks

These are from a set of trading cards that the young guys got to draw. The link shows Tristan (above) as well as Jonas, Drummond, and Fab Melo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...0642--nba.html

Edit: Here's the full list of pictures. http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2...ba-superstars/
    Last edited by MJA1080; 12-19-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7207 View Post
    In 10 more minutes, we lost...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-Wreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJA1080 View Post

These are from a set of trading cards that the young guys got to draw. The link shows Tristan (above) as well as Jonas, Drummond, and Fab Melo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...0642--nba.html
    I was so confused as to what this was even with the texas and hookem hints above. It looked like those rabbits from the simpsons arcade games in bowling alleys from my younger years. That has to be one of the worst depictions of a cow (longhorn) I have ever seen. Kinda makes me want to buy the card though because it is hilarious.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GCCSteel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

I think he needs to just look for contact when he goes up in traffic around the rim. He tries to avoid contact and make the shot....eff that noise, just go up THROUGH the defender. If he tries to extend away, the defender has enough strength to block the shot, and that's his biggest problem...he always gets in a position where he has to extend his arms too much to get a shot off, and you sacrific all your strength when you do that.
    i like jorts