Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
    Tristan haters be damned after that half
    Varejo needs traded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,852 Times in 2,749 Posts

Tristan with one of his best all around halves in a long time. Fantastic effort on both sides.

EDIT: Oh, and real quick everyone...proof that score keepers are ass holes. Tristan somehow didn't get credit for the block at the end of the half. There is no way anyone could deny that it was a block..annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

... If you're patient enough to wait for a long study, it wears off. This probably isn't his breakout game, but he works hard enough that he'll naturally look much better. The coaches know the same stuff we do about him.

If you crave numbers and want a pretty looking stat sheet, you'll be sorely disappointed. Tristan really was the replacement for old Andy, but more like Old Andy 2.0. His abilities don't translate into numbers. He's developed a sense for well-rounded defense. He'll obviously rise in numbers like rebounds if New Andy isn't there. They don't intentionally compete with each other for rebounds.

Finally, there is the chance he may not be in our future regardless. Trades happen all the time. Just be happy for what he's shown and don't be picky...
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 664 Posts

It looks like things are starting to click for Tristan. I don't feel that is an overreaction due to his great first half tonight, either. He has looked really good to me for the last few weeks, comparatively speaking. Sometimes it happens with young players where you'll be wondering about if they'll pan out and, all of a sudden, they just get "it."

The light looks like it has turned on for Tristan. Absolutely great sign for this franchise.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedBlackAttack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack View Post
    It looks like things are starting to click for Tristan. I don't feel that is an overreaction due to his great first half tonight, either. He has looked really good to me for the last few weeks, comparatively speaking. Sometimes it happens with young players where you'll be wondering about if they'll pan out and, all of a sudden, they just get "it."

The light looks like it has turned on for Tristan. Absolutely great sign for this franchise.
    Completely inaccurate, but I do understand what you're trying to say. He's not a moron with size. He's an intelligent hard-worker who learns from continual instruction and practice. He hasn't just suddenly broke out... he was slowly turning his awkwardness into something that became more noticeable with Andy hurt.

He simply was fixing his mechanics one by one. He even was the biggest communicator on the floor defensively. He is a legitimate winner.

Magic Number Thread:

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    Completely inaccurate, but I do understand what you're trying to say. He's not a moron with size. He's an intelligent hard-worker who learns from continual instruction and practice. He hasn't just suddenly broke out... he was slowly turning his awkwardness into something that became more noticeable with Andy hurt.

He simply was fixing his mechanics one by one. He even was the biggest communicator on the floor defensively. He is a legitimate winner.

Saying the "light went on" is sort of a cliche. I did note in the paragraph above it that this has been a process, though... And his improvement has been gradual and visible over the last month or so for anyone paying close attention. Point is, he no longer looks like a deer in headlights, which is the general vibe he omitted for his first year and change carrying over into this season.

It is also interesting that he really flourished without Andy on the floor. When you think about it, there is good reason why that may be the reality, too. Both guys are high energy and very good rebounders. Having two of those kind of players on the floor at the same time could be detrimental to one... In this case Tristan since he is not as good as Andy at this stage.

Does this mean, for the future of the organization, it may be best to deal Varejao and allow Tristan to grow in that role?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedBlackAttack For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack View Post

He is definitely starting to get it. He's also surprisingly a good passer once he knew where to pass. His shot still sucks, but the game seriously just slowed down for him over the past two weeks and especially this past week. He's starting to have Andy-esque stat lines. I'm liking it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    He is definitely starting to get it. He's also surprisingly a good passer once he knew where to pass. His shot still sucks, but the game seriously just slowed down for him over the past two weeks and especially this past week. He's starting to have Andy-esque stat lines. I'm liking it.
    If we get to the point where the main criticism of Tristan is his jumper, I will be absolutely delighted. Not that developing a nice midrange game wouldn't do wonders for his overall production and for the team, but he was having a lot of trouble even scoring around the basket. It looks like that portion of his game is beginning to come around.

It may take him 4-5 years before he is ever really comfortable shooting the ball outside of five feet and I'm OK with that, as long as he is flourishing around the basket.

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,224 Times in 2,014 Posts

He has had some nice plays and games recently, but until he stops getting 50% of his attempts blocked, he's still got me worried.

All Star
    Thanks

TT is slowly, but surely figuring out that HS/College stuff don't work in the pros. Alot of work to be done.

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    He has had some nice plays and games recently, but until he stops getting 50% of his attempts blocked, he's still got me worried.
    Oh, well you should feel relieved because he's only getting around 20% of his shots blocked.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The reason it looks like flourishing without Andy is because they're virtually the same type of player to go after loose balls, rebounds, and shots. They like going through the same sets, areas, and lanes on the court. They overlap. Seeing Tristan do his thing shouldn't be a surprise with this knowledge. That's why Andy chewed him out when he overdid his rebounding by not being aware that Andy already had it. And Tristan realizes who the leader is so that's why he was forcing himself to play cooperative styles with Andy rather than using the same path. He really is a smart player. He knew the troubles and tried to go out of his way to appease a little bit. And he also doesn't care about his numbers at all. He'll be a great player just from these aspects, but it's unlikely he sniffs awards or honors. He won't be that good.

Magic Number Thread:

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,764 Times in 4,108 Posts

I think the biggest compliment you can pay Tristan after tonight is how much better the team played whenever he was on the court. The team was noticeably better when he and Dion were out there.

Thanks

Solid game from TT tonight. Once he learns to keep the ball high and not try to jump out of the gym every time he goes up for a layup/dunk, I think he'll be just fine. He's been doing a lot of nice things for us lately. We're a much better defensive team when he's on the floor, even when the stats don't back it up.

Despite our losses, it's pretty frightening that we have two young bigs who can put up double double's while on the floor together, as well as two young guards who can score/create at will; all of whom are in either their first or second year in the league. I'd be curious to see where this particular starting line-up ranks among the youngest (or least experienced, rather) to ever play. Can't think of any other team who's given so many minutes to such young players in recent years, though I guess we haven't really had much of a choice.

Good signs going forward! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brooksfosho View Post
    Solid game from TT tonight. Once he learns to keep the ball high and not try to jump out of the gym every time he goes up for a layup/dunk, I think he'll be just fine. He's been doing a lot of nice things for us lately. We're a much better defensive team when he's on the floor, even when the stats don't back it up.

Despite our losses, it's pretty frightening that we have two young bigs who can put up double double's while on the floor together, as well as two young guards who can score/create at will, all of whom are in either their first or second year in the league. I'd be curious to see where this particular starting line-up ranks among the youngest (or least experienced, rather) to ever play. Can't think of any other team who's given so many minutes to such young players in recent years, though I guess we haven't really had much of a choice, haha.

Good signs going forward! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    That is something I've been pointing out to a lot of people on the general NBA board that I post on...

Four of our best six players are either rookies or sophomores and only one is above 21. Take it even further, basically every important rotation player on this team with the exception of Andy would be considered a young player on any other team in the NBA. Kyrie (20), DWait (20), Tristan (21), Tyler (22), Alonzo (25), CJ (25), Pargo (26)...

Amazing amount of young talent on this roster.