Page 289 of 618 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 9261
    Thanks

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

The TT pick was heavily criticized last year because people wanted Valacunias behind him, who was supposed to be some future star. Now that TT is looking better than Val, who has bee very mediocre at best, you have to give Grand and Co. for making the right pick here.

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,034 Posts

I miss the old RCF...
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 493 Posts

tristan is going to be a great player, maybe not a star but i think he will have real talent

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

TT seems to be the type of player that takes pride in his performance and will work hard to get better. He is only 21. If he adds a little to his offense each year he could have a nice array of scoring moves by age 25. I doubt he will ever be able to shoot well, but if he can pose a threat to score from multiple areas around the basket he will be effective. If this team is going to become a champion he won't be one of the marquee guys, but that does not mean he won't be important to the outcome.

Thanks

Big men tend to develop slower...plus if i remember correctly Tristan has not been playing for all that long (i could be mistaken). It seems like he has a good head and good work ethic, two things you cant teach. Give it some time.

Team Player
    Thanks

I feel like these big threads consist of the same conversions going on in circles.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

lol I did the sae thing you guys did and throw out an opinion and because it wasnt the same as you guys' appearently im a know it all and can predict the future. Key words in my post....were I THINK, MAYBE, and I DONT THINK TT IS A BAD PLAYER. Guessed you guys missed those

Thanks

If you go deeper back in thisthread im constantly the guy saying give him more time he will be good. I was just commenting on the statement that he would become a star..which I dont think he will. But im very different to argue with on the internet than other people because I DONT CARE IF IM WRONG. Id RATHER be wrong and TT end up like Tyson Chandler or something. Im not a guy thatll predict we lose and when we do say haha told you so. Theres no use of anybody gong further in this because I like TT's game and I WANT to be wrong but I just dont see him being a star...Sorry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 841 Posts

What I like about TT these past few games is his confidence. I also think that between him and Kyrie, he will be a better leader and a locker room stabilizer.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhi View Post
    I feel like these big threads consist of the same conversions going on in circles.
    It's kind of like a dog chasing its tail. Some people, with certain arguments will never, ever fucking stop, regardless if they will never succeed.

I don't know whether to commend some people on their relentlessness, or to feel sorry for them for being a zombie. But hey, I'm in the club too. I am hellbent on winning the argument that Shabazz can be a 3 even though people will continue to tell me he is a 2. It's a vortex of no triumph that I continue to involve myself in and as I admit this I drown in a deep pool of my own hypocrisy.

To make this post slightly on topic, the past couple games his offense has actually looked pretty good (finishing contested shots, not getting blocked frequently, etc). I'll gladly take the baby steps this early.
    Last edited by MGMT; 12-24-2012 at 01:53 AM.

The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

Im confused. are we supposed to be discussing the topic or discussing the discussion or discussing the discussion of the discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzle View Post
    If you go deeper back in thisthread im constantly the guy saying give him more time he will be good. I was just commenting on the statement that he would become a star..which I dont think he will. But im very different to argue with on the internet than other people because I DONT CARE IF IM WRONG. Id RATHER be wrong and TT end up like Tyson Chandler or something. Im not a guy thatll predict we lose and when we do say haha told you so. Theres no use of anybody gong further in this because I like TT's game and I WANT to be wrong but I just dont see him being a star...Sorry
    I guess I just can't see how you can write him off as not being a starter for a good team in the future. If this was his sixth year in the league and you were saying this, I wouldn't have much issue with that, but to say that he'll never be starter quality this early into his career is absolutely crazy to me. There's no way you can know that this early into his development as a player. The guy was a raw, one and done defensive minded PF. We knew he was going to be a project coming in(offensively anyway). I for one think he has shown improvement this year offensively, and especially in these last few games.

I'm not saying he'll be a star or anything close to it. All I'm saying is that I'm not ruling it out because quite frankly I'm not educated enough on EVERY past NBA star's(or starter's for that matter) careers to say that Tristan won't ever be one.
    "You drew a picture of my morning, but you couldn't make my day."
    -Naughty by Nature

Thanks
    Thanked 10,836 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BRInQ View Post
    These kinds of statements baffle me. How do you know what these players will turn out to be. With the exception of players like sloan, boobie, etc, we have no idea how TT, Waiters, or Zeller will turn out. Yet they have already be nominated as busts, waste of picks, bench riders, role players, etc. They could all end of "bonafide stars" or they couldn't, we don't know.

I'm just sitting back and watching them develop. They are showing signs of improving. I'll give Grant credit for one thing for sure, The personalities and fight in our last two years of draft picks are top notch.
    I was the first Dion Waiters fan on this board. And it was months before we drafted him. Check the posts.

I have been a TT supporter since the beginning...mostly because of his draft class and the fact that I think he will turn out to be a nice piece to replace Andy.

I love Zeller and have been thrilled with him. With a proper strength and conditioning program and some more bulk I think he will be a solid big for us.

As you can see, I have not named any of these three busts or wastes of picks. I even said that Dion has "a realistic shot at being special". Now, if you can watch Tristan's complete lack of fluidity when it comes to offensive moves and still say that he will be a star, you are a poor talent evaluator. If you've ever seen him attempt a jumpshot, it should be apparent to you that he will never have a reliable one. No amount of practice can change the fact that he is naturally incapable of producing the fluidity of a consistent jump shot. So, if you think he can become an elite rebounder and great defender while doing a bit of scoring around the rim, that's fine and I may agree with you. I consider that a role player. Nothing wrong with that.

Zeller has skill, so you can make an argument that he has a shot to be a star. The skill is there, the measurables and elite athleticism isn't...I think he'll be a role player and not a star. To say he has a realistic shot at becoming a star would be homerism. Saying he has an outside shot? That's fair.

So I think I was actually very fair in my assessment of our young players. Kyrie is a stud. Waiters looks like he can develop into a stud. The other two have bright futures with the team in particular roles. There IS a lot of work left to do with the roster. I am not bashing anyone...that's just where we are. I am actually happy with the rebuild so far. If we add a star caliber guy with our pick and another solid role guy with our LA pick this year, I think we're ready to add some vets and start winning some basketball games.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post
    Im confused. are we supposed to be discussing the topic or discussing the discussion or discussing the discussion of the discussion.
    So meta.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 945 Posts

Anyone notice lately when TT is gathering under the hoop, he uses the rim as protection and goes under the hoop and dunks on the other side? I have been saying this for so long.

Tristan is a really weird player. I totally see what everyone sees, but it's not like he's a scrub athlete. Maybe we won't call him a freak athlete, but he's solid, his problem is that he doesn't really utilize his athletic gifts at all. It almost appears like he can't access his physical gifts at all. I think Tristan being so predictable reallllllly negates his athletic abilities. MYoung has mentioned the word robotic and it definitely appears that way when he's on the court.

I think his biggest attribute, is obviously his quickness. He can get into the lane, and contort his body to get between people, it's just that he gets stuck there and people know what he's gonna do. His pump fakes are just not believable, and he's going to try it multiple times in a row.

It's just strange though, because there are shots for him to take out there, in the flow of the game. He'll show you a little something, he can get his jump hook off in the lane no problem, it's just that all of his shots clang out. He's had some really shitty luck getting friendly rolls to drop for him.

For the people calling for this cat to work on his jumper, absolutely not. This man has no jumper, and he's never going to have one. Do not try to put a square peg in a round hole.

He needs the Antawn Jamison hookshot barrage. He needs silly little shots that he can just schlep up there and get himself some garbage points. We just need to accept that Tristan will likely never really have much of an offensive game.

I'm still not going to give up on him though. He's definitely a true Power Forward. Yes, maybe he's got that weird body build, but he's definitely not a tweener like Derrick Williams or Jeff Green. Thompson can also give you some minutes at the center, and that's a bonus. Your definitely not going to be running Derrick Williams out there as a Center.

I still can see Thompson's lateral mobility, and that was supposedly a huge factor in why we liked him. I think rather than wasting time trying to develop his offense, he should carve out a niche for himself as a defender with limited offensive game: like Varejao originally was.

Thompson's lateral mobility should allow him to defend the pick and roll at a high level, and he can show on the pick and roll, but also be quick enough to recover and use his shot blocking reflexes.

We need to get Tristan to a state of non-thinking and just Reacting on the court. He was touted as a defender coming out, and we should re focus his efforts to excelling at defense. Once he masters the defensive system, he'll be able to use his natural timing and reflexes and hopefully his quickness to his advantage.

Right now he looks out of his element, and predictable. We need to return him to just having fun, reacting, and making a living on the defensive end first.
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 12-24-2012 at 02:41 AM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post: