Page 294 of 589 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 8830
    Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 579 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    Not really.

This team needs a defensive stopper at center.

Because of TT's limitations offensively we can't pair him with a center with similar offensive problems that could truly anchor a championship kind of defense (Tyson Chandler type).

That leaves us having to surround him with offensive minded soft centers like Zeller and you see how well that works.

His presence on this team is impeding our ability to properly build a championship caliber roster.

As many have suggested it is likely that we passed on Drummond because of fears of his compatibility with TT, and it turns out not coincidentally that a Drummond kind of center is exactly what this team desperately needs.

TT limits Grants options when trying to build this roster properly (which is his own fault) and to put your head in the sand instead of seeing how it is a problem wont make it go away.
    HAHAHA

The kid is 21 years old, getting his first significant stretch of big minutes and averaging 12.8 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 49% FG, 69% FT.

The kid just might end up to be elite after all........

Just remember, he's 21 years old and only scratching the surface of his potential.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdMonix11 For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    I agree Zeller and TT are better off being reserves where they would play more limited minutes. That would maximize their effectiveness.

I also fall into the camp that thinks Dion would make a great 6th man combo guard if we were really looking at where he would be most effective.

That all being said, at what point do we start drafting guys like Kyrie that are the clear starters and not better off as bench players on a contending team?

Heading into year 3 of a rebuild it is borderline criminal to consider that out of 4 lottery picks we only have 1 player who we can clearly look at and see that on a championship caliber team they would be a clear starter.

Usually the bench is filled in toward the end of a rebuild, yet it seems we are drafting guys better suited to being depth on a contender than front line starters.
    Yeah, Thompson has proven himself to ineffective during this stretch without Andy....

What did you smoke tonight? Do you have any left?

RealCavsFans motto: If you're not a superstar the moment you step thru the door, you're worthless....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EdMonix11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,645 Posts

Didn't I just make a post like a week ago saying Thompson would be fine?

Good God. He's starting to actually look like he might be that 14/10 guy I wanted him to be. Now we just have to iron out Dion's shot choices and Zeller's everything and the four young core members are a success.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1399 View Post
    HAHAHA

The kid is 21 years old, getting his first significant stretch of big minutes and averaging 12.8 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 49% FG, 69% FT.

The kid just might end up to be elite after all........

Just remember, he's 21 years old and only scratching the surface of his potential.
    Lol, I like the enthusiasm. 6 games or so means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but Tristan's been very consistent these past few games, having averaged almost the same numbers as Varejao (probably closer to last year's Varejao, which is still great). TT looks like he's adjusting to a new body weight with the way he's been maneuvering. He needs to lose about 10 lbs of fat and put 10 lbs of muscle back on, and then I think he'll be perfect body size-wise. Then he needs to work on his explosiveness because he has seemingly lost some of it even though he seems to be doing fine without it.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks
    Thanked 21,577 Times in 4,830 Posts

Regardless of whether you think Thompson's ceiling is backup PF, 3rd rotation big, starting PF, or All-Star PF, the fact that he has been improving during the season has to be encouraging. We are seeing some things from him that we haven't seen before, like that nice pass to Kyrie cutting down the lane, a greater willingness to pass out to open 3-pt-shooters, some solid defense (at least against players his size), good movement defending the P+R. He still has plenty of issues, and getting the ball blocked near the rim is always frustrating. We'll see if he can remain consistent and also what happens when Varejao gets back.

Even those posters who project Thompson as having a low ceiling, or being a difficult fit without the "right" center, should be happy that he's showing signs of progress, toward whatever it will be. In the long term, if Thompson ends up being an effective 6th man, or if Thompson gets moved because he doesn't fit with other talent (and becomes a trade asset), every step he makes toward being a better player is a good step for him and for the Cavs. And the sooner he improves, the better.

Seems to me that, of all the players on the Cavs roster this year, Thompson has actually shown the most signs of growth after Varejao. I would say he has been one of our least disappointing players (and the Cavs have had plenty of disappointments this year-Leuer, Casspi, Samuels, Sloan, and others). Yet he's getting bashed and he's holding the Cavs back from putting together a championship roster?

If you want to criticize how the roster is being put together, that should go in a Grant thread. Thompson had no control over who drafted him, or who Grant drafted next. He only has control over trying to become a better player, and being a good citizen off the court. It's hard to fault him on those counts.

(And, yes, I wanted Jonas, though he is now in the midst of a very rocky rookie season. And, yes, I wanted Drummond above Waiters, even though I am intrigued by Waiters' potential. None of that takes away from the fact that Thompson getting better is nothing but a very good thing for the Cavs, no matter how things turns out in the future).
    Last edited by wuck; 12-30-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    Regardless of whether you think Thompson's ceiling is backup PF, 3rd rotation big, starting PF, or All-Star PF, the fact that he has been improving during the season has to be encouraging. We are seeing some things from him that we haven't seen before, like that nice pass to Kyrie cutting down the lane, a greater willingness to pass out to open 3-pt-shooters, some solid defense (at least against players his size), good movement defending the P+R. He still has plenty of issues, and getting the ball blocked near the rim is always frustrating. We'll see if he can remain consistent and also what happens when Varejao gets back.

Even for those posters who project Thompson as having a low ceiling, or being a difficult fit with the "right" center, should be happy that he's showing signs of progress, toward whatever it will be. In the long term, if Thompson ends up being an effective 6th man, or if Thompson gets moved because he doesn't fit with other talent (and becomes a trade asset), every step he makes toward being a better player is a good step for him and for the Cavs. And the sooner he improves, the better.

Seems to me that, of all the players on the Cavs roster this year, Thompson has actually shown the most signs of growth after Varejao. I would say he has been one of our least disappointing players (and the Cavs have plenty of disappointments this year). Yet he's getting bashed?
    I feel like Thompson's recent performance is going to be more normal rather than an exception (as long as Varjeao's out) because I feel that Varejao's presence on the court was affecting the was that Tristan was playing in one way or another. With Tristan looking like a stronger version of Varejao (but not quite there yet on his shot), I think this makes Varejao all the more expendable. I wouldn't be surprised if TT is in the top 5 for rebounding from the first game Varejao was out until the end of the season. I'd love to see TT become a 15 pts/15 rbs/2 blk guy.

TT's confidence must be through the roof right now with him playing his best stretch of pro basketball yet these past 5 games. Despite a lot of his post moves going in, he looked surprisingly comfortable and fluid on them as though he looked like he should be taking those shots. It's just a matter of practice and time before he gets those to go in with more consistency. That, and Tristan needs to learn what a layup is and how to use his body to avoid getting blocked.

Tristan's free throw shooting also looked like it was fucking Waiters shooting them! TT's shot was infinitely less rigid and much more fluent, higher arcing, and soft.

Something's definitely clicking.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

HMC

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,469 Times in 1,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post

Even for those posters who project Thompson as having a low ceiling, or being a difficult fit without the "right" center, should be happy that he's showing signs of progress, toward whatever it will be. In the long term, if Thompson ends up being an effective 6th man, or if Thompson gets moved because he doesn't fit with other talent (and becomes a trade asset), every step he makes toward being a better player is a good step for him and for the Cavs. And the sooner he improves, the better.

Seems to me that, of all the players on the Cavs roster this year, Thompson has actually shown the most signs of growth after Varejao. I would say he has been one of our least disappointing players (and the Cavs have had plenty of disappointments this year-Leuer, Casspi, Samuels, Sloan, and others). Yet he's getting bashed and he's holding the Cavs back from putting together a championship roster?

If you want to criticize how the roster is being put together, that should go in a Grant thread. Thompson had no control over who drafted him, or who Grant drafted next. He only has control over trying to become a better player, and being a good citizen off the court. It's hard to fault him on those counts.

(And, yes, I wanted Jonas, though he is now in the midst of a very rocky rookie season. And, yes, I wanted Drummond above Waiters, even though I am intrigued by Waiters' potential. None of that takes away from the fact that Thompson getting better is nothing but a very good thing for the Cavs, no matter how things turns out in the future).
    GTFO with that even-handed, reasonable bullsheeeit.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've been most impressed with Tristan's improved passing.

Team Player
    Thanks

It seems like he gained a confidence boost now that Andy is out and he's the main man in the middle

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Tristan can (and will) also give us minutes at Center.

Anyway, it's our GM and coach who will determine the future composition of our lineup - not Tristan Thompson.

Thanks

On a good note, Tristan's PER is FINALLY above last year's, having been pushed up to 13.4 from last night's game.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 2,504 Posts

@cavsdan: It's been great seeing @realtristan13 take his game to a new level these past two weeks. TT works hard and is just getting going.....@cavs

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Went to my first game of the year vs Atlanta, and I was definitely impressed with Tristan's lateral quickness on defense. There were a number of times when he switched off a pick onto a smaller, quicker player, but he always managed to keep the player in front of him. I think his help defense still has a ways to go, but I was very surprised to see just how effective he was on D.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SkaakS For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    I feel like Thompson's recent performance is going to be more normal rather than an exception (as long as Varjeao's out) because I feel that Varejao's presence on the court was affecting the was that Tristan was playing in one way or another.
    I'm too lazy to do it, but I'd be interested in seeing if there are stats comparing AV rebounding rate with TT on/off the floor. Whether it is because of his defense, boxing out, or whatever, TT's play seems to have freed up Andy to be more aggressive on the boards.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,683 Times in 3,234 Posts

I remember saying a while before the season started and also during the first few weeks that, because Tristan has a lot of the same skills as AV, Varejao's presence with him the starting line-up was limiting his effectiveness. I also remember being scoffed at when I said it. Further, I said that Thompson and Zeller should start with Varejao coming off the bench to limit his minutes next to Thompson.

I'll accept apologies now.