Page 303 of 588 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 8817
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What continues to stand out to me, is that Tristan continues to be a difference maker. You can just feel when he leaves the game, because we stop getting boards, we stop getting put backs, we stop defending the rim. I have no doubt Andy diluted that effect because he's so good at helping in the same area.

82games has updated, and with Scott mixing up our rotations, it's becoming more apparent as Tristan's -1.7 on court +/- leads the team, and his +9.8 net +/- is #1 by quite a bit. Not enough data yet, but Livingston and Kevin Jones appear to have played some + minutes.

We're a better defensive team when Tristan is on the court, allowing 8.7 fewer points per 100 possesions, and a 3.3% lower eFG% ... but alas he's not a one-man defense as we're still giving up a horrid 50.5% eFG when he's on the floor.
    I used to be skeptical of TT's contributions defensively being negated by what he brought, or lack thereof, on the other end. But, now that he has seemingly discovered his new self, a confident self, there's no questioning his effect on the game.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    I used to be skeptical of TT's contributions defensively being negated by what he brought, or lack thereof, on the other end. But, now that he has seemingly discovered his new self, a confident self, there's no questioning his effect on the game.
    It's a lot easier to hide an offensively deficient big, especially one who stays near the hoop and gets a lot of his shots off of offensive rebounds he generates. One reason coaches love their garbage men.

Hopefully Tristan can be more than that ...

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Tristan's literally getting us almost a double double right now with no offensive game to speak of. If he can ever just develop a couple of consistant moves, and a jumper he could easily hit the 16+ppg plateau, but unlike other decent scoring bigs, Tristan will actually be a viable defender. I love his potential, and it's not hard to see him developing a few consistant moves.
    He is showing progress in post up situations. The right handed hook seems to be his go to move. I'm not sure about the jumper, because even though he's been making them lately, his free throws are still so flat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    He is showing progress in post up situations. The right handed hook seems to be his go to move. I'm not sure about the jumper, because even though he's been making them lately, his free throws are still so flat.
    Yeah he's never going to be a mid range shooter like KG, but if he can develop a respectable 18 footer like Ibaka has (out of seemingly no where) then he'll be able to score a lot of easy baskets because he is so athletic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdog1 For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I'm currently eating crow during this stretch for TT and I'll happily do it for the next x amount of years....

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,619 Times in 983 Posts

Its weird how he can make a jump hook from 10 feet on the move but cant co-ordnitate a simple jump shot
    "Now you see me and now you get it in your face!" AC

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawduzt For This Useful Post:

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,387 Times in 1,492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sawduzt View Post
    Its weird how he can make a jump hook from 10 feet on the move but cant co-ordnitate a simple jump shot
    But at least he can co-ordnitate a sentence.

Ba-dum-POW!
    Last edited by theSTEREO.; 01-07-2013 at 02:58 AM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    But at least he can co-ornitate a sentence.

Ba-dum-POW!
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,619 Times in 983 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    But at least he can co-ordnitate a sentence.

Ba-dum-POW!
    Hahahaha! Very good, sir. I see I will now have to be on by best behaviour, or face the grammar police.
    "Now you see me and now you get it in your face!" AC

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawduzt For This Useful Post:

**lost this privilege** Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 687 Posts

da grumma polce can goh hel

- Tornicade

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer Hawes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Yeah he's never going to be a mid range shooter like KG, but if he can develop a respectable 18 footer like Ibaka has (out of seemingly no where) then he'll be able to score a lot of easy baskets because he is so athletic.
    Ibaka didn't develop his jumper put of nowhere, he's had good mechanics on it since he entered the league. If you want to look for a guy with a respectable jumper to compare Tristan to, it's still Andy. Varejao doesn't have the prettiest jump shot and its taken him a long time to get it to where it is now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to D-Wreck For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 573 Posts

It's a lot easier to hide an offensively deficient big, especially one who stays near the hoop and gets a lot of his shots off of offensive rebounds he generates. One reason coaches love their garbage men.

That'd be nice, but I could live with him turning into a Horace Grant type of PF. What was a missing before was the rebounding, but TT has really stepped up his game there, and that would seem to be a reasonable floor to assume based on his recent play. If he can become more than that, fantastic.

Thanks

I agree. But, before, in said garbage role, he still stuck out like a sore thumb because of his inept play around the rim. He would force shots and look like hot garbage in the process. He was mostly a black hole. He's, seemingly overnight, transformed into a competent "garbage man."

Yes, I hope he can eventually grow into more than that, but for now, that is ok. Hell, as far as contractually, we may be better served if he doesn't find the rest of his game until after his next contract He could still provide us with enough to heavily contribute to winning and at the same time not weigh our salary down disproportionately.

I really see nothing wrong with him continuing spending the majority of his work on his game inside of 10 feet for a while. For as good as he's been recently, it's not like he still couldn't use a few other go to moves. Once he masters more of those, then maybe he can start working more on stretching his range.
    Last edited by Giambiwannabe7; 01-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Totally agree that he needs to focus on his inside game. Developing a J was never a priority for Tristan at this point in his development.

However, I don't think this has been overnight. His improvement has been gradual, just with a lot of one step forward two steps back sort of stuff that young/raw players go through.

Thanks

Totally agree that he needs to focus on his inside game. Developing a J was never a priority for Tristan at this point in his development.

However, I don't think this has been overnight. His improvement has been gradual, just with a lot of one step forward two steps back sort of stuff that young/raw players go through.
    Yes, you are right. I use the term "overnight" loosely in making a point. His passing has been improved from day one this season. His inside moves, though, have looked much more polished in the last few weeks as his confidence has grown. His attitude has been the most noticeable, and out of nowhere, improvement, imo. This new bit of nasty he has been showing lately is surprising the hell out of me. I love it. He, and even moreso his team, need it terribly bad right now. We need him to keep this little bit of mean streak he has going lately. It's not one of those dirty mean streaks, a la Bill Laimbeer, necessarily. But, he's got a new aura of toughness about him right now.