Thanks

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Because we all love us some tristan highlights

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to apolo29 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apolo29 View Post
    Because we all love us some tristan highlights

I love the stretch starting at :57. Tristan's movement provides us with all the offense we need on that play. He gets guys moving, sets picks, stays active, and gets a bucket at the end of it. Nothing flashy, but it is clearly the product of a lot of hard work and an excellent understanding of the playbook and what his limited role can be in the offense. He has fully shed the deer in the headlights look that had people worried slightly several months ago. The Cavs are exciting to watch right now and it seems like good things are in store for the future.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tn819 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tn819 View Post
    I love the stretch starting at :57. Tristan's movement provides us with all the offense we need on that play.
    Had the same reaction. Talk about basketball IQ- Tristan's off-ball movement on that possession was textbook, but what's most impressive to me is that it wasn't mechanical. Great sign there.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demonmt For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tn819 View Post
    He has fully shed the deer in the headlights look that had people worried slightly several months ago.
    You know, I never saw that. Are people using the term as metaphor for a player that's struggling and doesn't look comfortable?

Because when for instance I've used to use the term to describe Luke Jackson and then later Shannon Brown, it was because they actually looked wide-eyed and scared.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You know, I never saw that. Are people using the term as metaphor for a player that's struggling and doesn't look comfortable?

Because when for instance I've used to use the term to describe Luke Jackson and then later Shannon Brown, it was because they actually looked wide-eyed and scared.
    It isn't the right term because he never looked scared or in over his head. To me, he looked mechanical around the basket, like he had been taught how to do the moves but was thinking about it too much. He has developed a comfort level with his offensive game that he didn't have before. Now he can take advantage of his quickness and athleticism. That hook shot is legit and he has a deft touch around the basket. His development has been encouraging and has me hoping for more.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Loblaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Can the Cavs switch his shooting to his right hand over the summer? Seems like he's got naturally much better touch with it, even though he has improved his FT% recently.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

It felt like he was unsure about positioning and movement. He wasn't scared, but the game was not coming naturally to him. There was too much thinking. Maybe "deer in the headlights" wasn't the most accurate phrase because he has always done a few things well, but I think all would agree that he just looks more comfortable and natural in the offense now.
    Byron Scott seems to have a semblance of offensive movement and purpose for the team, and Tristan has bought in and, most importantly, seems to be fitting in. In contrast, JJ's raw skill always showed up as flashy dunks and individual athleticism, but I am not sure he has fit into an offense like TT did in that clip... ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post

Can the Cavs switch his shooting to his right hand over the summer? Seems like he's got naturally much better touch with it, even though he has improved his FT% recently.
    Need some footage of this asap.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRMsix6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MRMsix6 View Post
    Need some footage of this asap.
    Yarly, need some proof here lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

Only issue I have in that footage, and its a small one, is he doesn't always roll hard to the rim when he sees he's not getting the ball. On the one play, Kyrie didn't have a passing lane so he reversed it. If Tristan had rolled hard to the rim, he would have been able to get the pass on the reversal and gone in for a dunk. Hopefully the coaching staff is staying in his ear about rolling hard.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 636 Posts

You know what's sad? If he was everything he is, but also elevated and punished the rim with the ferocity of a Manimal or K-Mart, I'd like Tristan a lot more.

That's my confession, I guess.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,681 Times in 4,082 Posts

TRISTAN THOMPSON MVP.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Is Scott trying to get his confidence up? What's with the shabby 3 of 5 performance? Sounds like Byron is slipping.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

When do the shackles come off allow him to shoot 15 footers in a game? He clearly has SOME ability to make an outside shot.... and I don't mean jacking up three's. I really hope that in the next year or so he can start hitting that 15 foot jumper from the elbow that Hickson learned in his 3rd year here... just seemed like it opened up so many offensive options for him. I mean, if Hickson AND Varejao can learn to hit a jumper, it can't be too long before TT can too.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,681 Times in 4,082 Posts

#LETTRISTANSHOOT

I mean, we let Jamison shoot threes with reckless abandon last year. Might as well let Thompson do the same. He'd probably hit them at about the same consistency.