Page 346 of 588 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396446 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 8816
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,542 Times in 4,825 Posts

Default Re: Tristan Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ZooCrewDude View Post
    He was lining up the wrong foot at the charity stripe and no one corrected this until he got to the NBA??? And then he accidentally went back to lining up the wrong foot again this year and it went unnoticed again?! Mind blowing.
    Apparently, no one corrected it until around halfway through his first NBA season. On the positive side, it was a shortened season....

I remember when they announced that last year, but I thought they just talked about it as a FT-line adjustment (we're going to move him a few inches). I don't remember them saying "because he's lining up as if he's a right hander".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

3 ball... got it!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 609 Posts

Has any player ever been able to shoot jumpers with both hands? If TT developed the ability to switch hands as the game progressed, jeeze. How could you guard that hook, left and right, and a decent mid range jumper, left and right, all the while worrying about the fact he can dribble enough to go in for a layup/dunk?

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,403 Times in 4,791 Posts

I was raised a lefty, but like Thompson I have become ambidextrous in a lot of my life as time progressed. We live in a world that is built for right-handed people: scissors, instruments, screwdrivers, you name it. The language is made for a right-handed writer. In time, you get used to doing things with both hands. I'd say his development is pretty common for lefties.

I still see a player who is struggling with the mental part of defense. He doesn't always box his man out or rotate to the right place on defense. He doesn't know when to challenge shots on the weak side or stick to his man. In short, I don't care what kind of shooting range he has with his off-hand if he doesn't know where to be defensively.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    I still see a player who is struggling with the mental part of defense. He doesn't always box his man out or rotate to the right place on defense. He doesn't know when to challenge shots on the weak side or stick to his man. In short, I don't care what kind of shooting range he has with his off-hand if he doesn't know where to be defensively.
    I agree. I'm happy that the offense showed up first though. A lot of guys never find a go to move if they don't show them in thier first 3 years. It's great to see that show up in year 2. NBA level defense doesn't show up in most rookies until at least season 3, so I'm less nervous about the defense coming later. I don't think he's going to end up being a Carlos Boozer or Drew Gooden. He's got better defensive tools and inclination than Boozer and I just got a hunch that he's got more awareness and focus than Drew.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 427 Posts

TT and the rest of the Cavs would benefit with the addition of a defensive center. Watch how many times TT leaves his man for another player moving into the paint with the ball. Of course mostly bad things are the result. Such action by TT leaves him vulnerable for the pass back to his man, likely wide open and close to the paint, and takes him out of a good rebounding position.

Sure wish there was a stat for contested rebounds or at least something that eliminated those gained off missed FTs. I'd like to know the guys who get the tough rebounds on a consistent basis. Does TT get his share?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kidduck For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Tristan is very active on defense which is great. Unfortunately, while he's busy trying to pick up everyone elses' man, too often nobody picks up his.

I wouldn't mind seeing him be even more aggressive giving help in the post, though. You have to stop the initial drive before you can worry about how you stop the reaction. One issue of late is he's been pulled out of the post and can't help.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidduck View Post
    Sure wish there was a stat for contested rebounds or at least something that eliminated those gained off missed FTs. I'd like to know the guys who get the tough rebounds on a consistent basis. Does TT get his share?
    Pretty much the case with every offensive rebound ... but you don't hustle and jump your way so much on the defensive boards - that's much more about technique.

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Tristan is very active on defense which is great. Unfortunately, while he's busy trying to pick up everyone elses' man, too often nobody picks up his.

I wouldn't mind seeing him be even more aggressive giving help in the post, though. You have to stop the initial drive before you can worry about how you stop the reaction. One issue of late is he's been pulled out of the post and can't help.
    Good observations.

Too often when he moves to help in the post, he merely 'shows' which does nothing to stop the drive and leaves his man open.

I hope he watches tape of the game vs Denver and sees something about position and fighting for the ball off the glass.

TT needs work on boxing out. But it's a rare skill in the league overall.

Dazed and Confused FlatulenciaRoar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    We live in a world that is built for right-handed people: scissors, instruments, screwdrivers, you name it.
    I never appreciated the difficulties faced by lefties until I picked up a set of left-handed screwdrivers at a garage sale. Damn things were so difficult to use I ended up throwing them out.
    The problem with doing nothing is that I never know when I'm done.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlatulenciaRoar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RSohle View Post
    I never appreciated the difficulties faced by lefties until I picked up a set of left-handed screwdrivers at a garage sale. Damn things were so difficult to use I ended up throwing them out.

Kinda surprised you were the first one to point this out

We always bust balls on jobs with guys who can't paint. We tell em it's because they have a left handed paint brush, and they're painting righty. Some guys actually believe you, too!!

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,849 Times in 1,878 Posts

The world would be a better place without any lefties.

The president, Professor Keys, TT... the whole lot of em. Send them to their own island and let them change the world, invest in our youth, and shoot their push shots from there.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks

Cavaliers' Tristan Thompson's game has skyrocketed

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

By Bob Finnan

The transformation has been startling.

From the moment Anderson Varejao's season ended on Dec. 18 against Toronto, Tristan Thompson became a new man.

In his first 26 games before Varejao's knee injury, Thompson averaged 8.3 points and 7.6 rebounds and was shooting 46.6 percent from the field.

In the subsequent 25 games, the 6-foot-9, 227-pounder is averaging 14.6 points and 10.6 rebounds and shooting 53.4 percent from the field.

Thompson, 21, has 18 double-doubles on the season, including 13 in his last 25 games.

From watching video of the Cavs for their recent game against Charlotte, Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap could see the influence of Cavs assistant coach Jamahl Mosley on Thompson.

"You can tell Mosley is working with him from watching tape," Dunlap said. "He's an explosive player from 15 (feet) and in."

Dunlap said he was an assistant coach with Mosley in Denver.

During a recent game against Oklahoma City, Thunder forward Kevin Durant revealed that Thompson was a focal point of their scouting report. That was a compliment to Thompson.

"It makes me hungrier," the Cavs forward said. "I have to add new things to my game. It's an honor."

Cavs coach Byron Scott said the game is slowing down for Thompson.

"I always go by when you got young guys, the pace of the game, the speed of the game," he said. "With Tristan, last year at this particular time, it was probably at 100 (mph). Now it's probably at 50. The game has slowed down so much for him. He understands exactly what's going on out there. And it will continue to slow down for him."

Scott has finally started running some plays for Thompson. He's been able to score with his push shots in the lane, as well as jump hooks with either hand.

"I think he's realized he can still be very effective without us necessarily throwing him the ball 15-20 times a game," Scott said. "I've run about four or five plays a game for him. The other stuff he's just kind of getting on his own."

The Cavs (16-35) almost want him to forget he was the No. 4 pick in the 2011 draft.

"The biggest thing is just trying to take the attitude that the No. 4 pick is supposed to do certain things," Scott said. "I thought in his mind that meant he has to average 17, 18 or 20 points. That's not the reason we drafted him.

"I think he's starting to realize he can still average 12, 13, 14 points a game and nine or 10 rebounds a game without necessarily having plays run through him just because of his activity and athleticism."

Thompson is still a work in progress. The Cavs eventually would like him to be able to make a mid-range shot.

"His progress has been fantastic and his production has been great this year," Scott said.

"Now with the way he's playing, we'll try to get him some touches in the post. He'll get some touches if he runs the floor.
    "I'm just proud of him. He didn't start listening to what everybody was saying. He stuck to doing the things we felt he needed to do. Now he's starting to see the progress he's making."

Scott is happy Thompson has become a hub in the offense instead of a hole. A hub facilitates the offense and can pass the ball. A hole shoots it as soon as he touches the ball.

He has become very effective around the basket.

"He's really looking for guys," Scott said.

Thompson isn't trying to back down bigger players as much in the post. He's catching the ball and going into his offensive move. He's not getting as many shots blocked, either.

"The one thing we're trying to tell him this year is even if you catch it on the post, go quick," Scott said. "Use your speed and athleticism. Don't try to bang with these guys. Even though we know you've been in the weight room and added some weight, if it's not that they're stronger, it's that they're 2 or 3 inches taller. So use your speed and athleticism."

Link: http://www.news-herald.com/articles/.../nh6540277.txt

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kidduck For This Useful Post:

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

For all the right handers out there, use your left hand! Science is showing that by forcing our brains into the uncomfortable zone (lefty) we actually strengthen the integrity of our brain's hemispheres and they say it could possibly help to prevent strokes and Alzheimers in the future.

Now that I remember, Thompson's jumper looked excellent when he shot it right-handed. I believe he's hit a right handed jump shot in a game before. He had that awesome right handed teardrop against Byron Mullens the other night.

It would be incredible if in addition to his "Texas tea-drop" shot he could also hit you with a right handed jumper from 15, as well as a counter spin move where he'd finish with the left hand on the left side of the board. How would you guard a guy like him who is quick footed and springy, as well as ambidextrous and not afraid to mix it up and draw fouls in the paint? How do you deal with a guy like that? Your best bet is to make him shoot jumpers, but if he can hit a jumper consistently you are screwed, he'll have his way with you.

A lot of early comparisons were made to Stromile Swift or Hakeem Warrick, but Tristan Thompson seems thicker in build to me than both of those guys. In 3-4 years when Thompson is considerably stronger, I think he'll be able to root bodies out of the paint and snare a lot more rebounds in the future.

There are only 3 shots he needs in his arsenal.

"Texas Tea Drop"
    "15 Foot Pop"
    "Counter-spin move to the left"

I'm thinking by year 5 he's going to be an absolute BEAST. He'll probably have 15 lbs more muscle, play much better defense, hit free throws routinely and generally look like an experienced player who still has room for improvement, but is nearing his physical prime.

It's a great thing that he's taking his lumps while he's still 21. I can't even believe that fact when I think about it. I also cannot believe that Kyrie Irving is not even legally old enough to drink alcohol, yet he's hit more walk off game winners than LeBron James has in his 10 years in the league.

I'm thinking about a prime time Tristan Thompson vs Chris Bosh. I think they are comparable talents even though Bosh is obviously more gifted offensively. Thompson will probably put Bosh to shame in his rebounding ability, FG% and his defensive ability (as he ages, I'm thinking when TT's around 25 years old) I wouldn't put it past Thompson to average around 16ppg, 10rebounds, 1 steal, 1-2 blocks per game.

When Chris Grant said they drafted Thompson for his character, we all freaked out when in reality we should have been rejoicing and applauding the selection. I rejoiced the moment I saw Drederick Irving hug his son before he became the new face of Cleveland.

Kyrie is a man raised by a man.

LeBron James is a bitch who was raised by a bitch.
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 02-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 772 Posts

From watching video of the Cavs for their recent game against Charlotte, Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap could see the influence of Cavs assistant coach Jamahl Mosley on Thompson.

"You can tell Mosley is working with him from watching tape," Dunlap said. "He's an explosive player from 15 (feet) and in."

Dunlap said he was an assistant coach with Mosley in Denver.

During a recent game against Oklahoma City, Thunder forward Kevin Durant revealed that Thompson was a focal point of their scouting report. That was a compliment to Thompson.

"It makes me hungrier," the Cavs forward said. "I have to add new things to my game. It's an honor."
    Should have went with "It's humbling".
    When in doubt, step up the defense

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mAo_mAo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,659 Posts

Really looking forward to seeing how Tristan bounces back tonight...he only had 11 and 4 last game shooting about 40%. Was his worst game in awhile.