Page 334 of 726 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 10876

Thread: Kyrie Irving

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Default Re: Kyrie Irving

Quote Originally Posted by The Human Q-Tip View Post
    The burden of running our offense rests almost entirely on Kyrie, which means he's expending serious energy out there on the offensive end. So he takes it easier on the defensive end, and it shows. But if the other guys on the court (whoever they may eventually be) step up to take some of that burden off him, and as he physically matures and gets better endurance, there is every reason to believe that his defense will improve significantly as well.
    Having not played in weeks, he did great. If he can stay healthy, he should be able to build up his endurance this season - and then we can see how he uses it.

The advantage Kyrie has over guys like MJ/Kobe/LBJ is he's not pushing as much mass up and down the court. He should be able to sustain a higher energy level.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    That shot was.... there are no words for that shot. Maybe the most impressive shot I've ever seen him take/make. The degree of difficulty on that shot was astounding, and he banked it ON PURPOSE. Defended, off the dribble, from a nigh impossible angle, and placing perfectly on the backboard? Lord have mercy...

The kid understands the nuances and geometry of scoring so well, and at such a young age. Its a gift, really.

And you can tell his overall floor game is catching up. He made several plays in that first half that I hadn't seen him make all of last year that were legitimate floor general plays. Seriously, the sky is the limit.

Now, if we could just get him to fix his PnR defense...
    Thank you for that very unique and depictful description. I'm not sure I've ever heard someone's shooting described in such a manner...but man oh man is it fitting. I've always loved how Duncan uses the square. But, KI seems to use it in a different kind of way. Whereas Duncan is great at using it on his jumpers and just normal lay ins, we see KI use it with crazy english...with trees all over the place and guys draped on his back. It's astounding.

Banned
    Thanks

he plays like deron williams so much

should be a superstar. i wanna see him get you to the play offs. Derrick Rose got the bulls into the play offs after his like 3 season, so i am hoping irvings takes the cavs to the play offs next year.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    That shot was.... there are no words for that shot. Maybe the most impressive shot I've ever seen him take/make. The degree of difficulty on that shot was astounding, and he banked it ON PURPOSE. Defended, off the dribble, from a nigh impossible angle, and placing perfectly on the backboard? Lord have mercy...

The kid understands the nuances and geometry of scoring so well, and at such a young age. Its a gift, really. ...
    "I get...buckets"

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Having not played in weeks, he did great. If he can stay healthy, he should be able to build up his endurance this season - and then we can see how he uses it.

The advantage Kyrie has over guys like MJ/Kobe/LBJ is he's not pushing as much mass up and down the court. He should be able to sustain a higher energy level.
    You're right -- he should have more endurance that he does. But the kid hasn't played a full season of basketball in a long time, and the game looks like it has always come easy for him. Realistically, we're probably looking at a few years -- and likely a major playoff loss -- before the light bulb goes on and he realizes the importance of having the stamina for defensive effort. I wish he'd just "get it", but that higher level of intensity/effort required to get in that kind of condition seems to take a bit longer with some of the offiensive marvels out there. LBJ is a pretty good example. It wasn't until he realized that championship-level basketball required real effort on both ends that he became the defender he is today. And again, it sometimes takes a painful loss and some harsh criticism before it happens.

As for the mass, you're right as well. But it's a bit of a trade-off. Larger guys generally guard larger players who don't move as quickly as the smaller guys, play more positional/body-up defense, and have a longer wingspan. Small guys have to do a lot of running around, with their feet constantly moving, to keep up with the smaller, quicker guys they're supposed to be guarding. So it is less mass to move, but also a lot more movement.
    Last edited by The Human Q-Tip; 12-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quit talking out of your ass, John. First off, Kobe (205) is only 9 lbs heavier than Irving (191 + 5 lbs he gained = 196). Jordan was only 216. Also, longer legs mean less strides, i.e. less energy. But none of that really matters. What it comes down to is VO2MAX. It's the body's ability to use oxygen based off of body weight (in a minute). Also, the body's ability to clear lactic acid and where one's lactic acid threshold is important. Those two factors outweigh weight. Hell, Wilt Chamberlain played every minute of one game one year, and he was over 300 lbs (Jerry Lucas told me this in person).
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Quit talking out of your ass, John. First off, Kobe (205) is only 9 lbs heavier than Irving (191 + 5 lbs he gained = 196).
    Bleh, you can go with all that physiology stuff, I'll stick with physics. F=MA! ;P

I'm not sure where you got your weight figures from, but maybe Kyrie is getting tired because he put on too much bulk.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,700 Posts

NBA weight stats are a farce anyways.
    i like jorts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Bleh, you can go with all that physiology stuff, I'll stick with physics. F=MA! ;P

I'm not sure where you got your weight figures from, but maybe Kyrie is getting tired because he put on too much bulk.
    I highly doubt that. If anything, the guy needs to put on a little more weight especially if he wants to post up and finish better traffic. He just needs to get in better shape overall. He was actually in better shape in college than he is now.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Team Player
    Thanks

Dude is a pleasure to watch. One of the most aesthetically pleasing players I have seen in a long time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amil99 For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAKouki View Post
    NBA weight stats are a farce anyways.
    Yeah, it's hard to have a comparative weight discussion when there seems to be little rhyme or reason to their official measurements.

Thanks

Yeah, it's hard to have a comparative weight discussion when there seems to be little rhyme or reason to their official measurements.
    Like how nba.com still has LeBron listed at 250.... lol

Thanks

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, internet voting and through ESPN.

But that's what's up!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heights View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know, internet voting and through ESPN.

But that's what's up!

A second-year player who's already toeing the line of stardom versus 2 kids who won't be in the NBA until at least 2 years from now, a white chick, and a third-year, insanely erratic headcase who just got suspended for seed-slapping an opponent?

Hmm... decisions, decisions...

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to narbar32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amil99 View Post
    Dude is a pleasure to watch. One of the most aesthetically pleasing players I have seen in a long time.
    That's the keyword.
    Were it not for the presence of the unwashed and the half-educated, the formless, queer and incomplete, the unreasonable and absurd, the infinite shapes of the delightful human tadpole, the horizon would not wear so wide a grin. - Frank Moore Colby