Page 359 of 726 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409459 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,385 of 10876

Thread: Kyrie Irving

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,555 Posts

Default Re: Kyrie Irving

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    Exactly. Teams are doubling Kyrie as soon as he crosses half court, forcing him to find an open teammate. Most of the time, he does...but that doesn't mean said player finishes.
    That didn't stop Kyrie here when he was pressed full-court by 2 superstars and an all-star level player.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Working the media SpanishCavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

He did finish with 7 assists and only two turnovers, which is something I want to see more of. He knows how to score, but he needs to work on his playmaking if we want to get anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

He's definitely got an on-off switch just like LeBron did. Early in the game he's deferring. It's fine to try to get teammates involved, but he needs to actively do it an not passivle do it...and that means setting guys up rather than just staying out of the play.
    i like jorts

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 681 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAKouki View Post
    He's definitely got an on-off switch just like LeBron did. Early in the game he's deferring. It's fine to try to get teammates involved, but he needs to actively do it an not passivle do it...and that means setting guys up rather than just staying out of the play.
    Like giving the ball to Thompson before he even crosses half court?

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,375 Posts

Not trying to make excuses for him, but how many NBA players don't have "on/off" switches throughout the season?

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,555 Posts

Although I don't think LeBron's off-switch is as bad as Kyrie's, you're right that Kyrie needs to be active in getting other teammates involved instead of giving up the ball and sitting on the perimeter. LeBron was great at doing that so he was at least being passive in a good way. He needs to be penetrating and racking up assists. This will open things up for him later when the opposing team is also worried about the passing lanes, so they'll give Kyrie more room to operate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

He's human. I thought it might've been because he quit, but he can't become a machine like LeBron. Stop prepping him to be like one. Or I'll show you stats of all the players that could spend their entire careers having double digit point games on back to backs since 1987. Most of you guys have never played competitive basketball. How would you know the mental or physical energy it takes to push yourself to produce on a superstar level day in and day out?
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,339 Times in 1,435 Posts

I don't understand when a player lets the game come to him, instead of playing it reckless and careless, it means he's passive and not playing hard. Just ridiculous to nitpick at Kyrie like this. I didn't have a "problem" with how he played last night. He struggled with his shot, teams pack the paint against him, giving him virtually NO WHERE to go. Knowing he's without a doubt the only real threat out on the floor, teams defend him, and dare others to beat them. Kyrie could become careless, selfish, and start taking really bad shots that don't really help the team, nor his teammates. But he doesn't.

I saw Kyrie actually giving effort, and fighting hard defensively. Yeah, he had some miscues, but Kyrie was definitely playing hard defensively last night.

There's going to be nights you don't score the ball. Common, he's 20, he still has flaws. It's too much to ask a guy that young, to do it all, and everything every single night. It's too much for any player, and basically that's what is needed out of him. And he can't do it every single game. No one can.

He's only leading the league in scoring as a point guard with that being said. I say give him a little slack, he's definitely one of only few very bright spots on this team. I'll judge him more as a playmaker when we get better offensive talent on this team. Without a real force to score the ball down low, and inconsistent scoring on the perimeter, his playmaking skills have to come second.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I don't understand when a player lets the game come to him, instead of playing it reckless and careless, it means he's passive and not playing hard. Just ridiculous to nitpick at Kyrie like this. I didn't have a "problem" with how he played last night. He struggled with his shot, teams pack the paint against him, giving him virtually NO WHERE to go. Knowing he's without a doubt the only real threat out on the floor, teams defend him, and dare others to beat them. Kyrie could become careless, selfish, and start taking really bad shots that don't really help the team, nor his teammates. But he doesn't.

I saw Kyrie actually giving effort, and fighting hard defensively. Yeah, he had some miscues, but Kyrie was definitely playing hard defensively last night.

There's going to be nights you don't score the ball. Common, he's 20, he still has flaws. It's too much to ask a guy that young, to do it all, and everything every single night. It's too much for any player, and basically that's what is needed out of him. And he can't do it every single game. No one can.

He's only leading the league in scoring as a point guard with that being said. I say give him a little slack, he's definitely one of only few very bright spots on this team. I'll judge him more as a playmaker when we get better offensive talent on this team. Without a real force to score the ball down low, and inconsistent scoring on the perimeter, his playmaking skills have to come second.
    Criticizing =/= nitpicking. I think we are all pretty impressed with his game, but pointing out things that we don't like about his game is still......fair game.
    i like jorts

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,882 Times in 984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    Like giving the ball to Thompson before he even crosses half court?
    I don't know what the hell that is about but it seems it's what Scott wants. In recent games the G crosses halfcourt and then passes off to Thompson or Zeller out past the middle of the 3 point line in many halfcourt possessions. Makes no sense. You're taking the ball out of the hands of a player who can create and putting it in the hands of 2 players who can't dribble or pass. Does nothing but slow down the offense. Varejao can pass if you give it to him out there but these two can't at all.

I'm not worried about Kyrie now but I do sense some frustration starting. Another reason why the Cavs organization needs to step it up a little after the season.

Kyrie's teammates also need to realize that he's the #1 player and option now. Waiters, Gee, and Miles need to tone it down sometimes and not go 1 on 1, force shots, and/or ignore their 4 teammates on the floor with them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You guys are kidding right? Being critical of Kyrie because of a bad shooting night? It is not like he shot his team out of the playoffs like Kobe basically did last year. Every time the kid turns around, he has a new line-up to work with and every team gunning at him knowing Waiters is going to shoot 20%. I thought he did a good job chasing Williams around the court and is showing slight improvement on defense. Defense is not easy and if he is burning energy trying to get better, then great! He will learn to put it all together and we will have nights like this. BTW, I never thought we would make the playoffs this year anyways so I am enjoying the effort by every player on his team. We have been close so often with 78 different lineups and still are looking at a top pick. I will begin to worry if we are playing crappy towards the end of Feb or early March after all the home games and practices. Unless Kyrie begins to have 10 turnover games, I have NOTHING to say about him.
    WHEN WE FINALLY WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.......WE WON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Thanks

no jesus christ no people, some of us are actually making valid points and just mentioning small things that we would like to see him get better at

he isn't immune to criticism and we are allowed to point it out without thinking he's a terrible player my god

it's a god damned message board, if we can't talk about what players need to do to get better then what can we talk about
    i like jorts

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 705 Posts

no jesus christ no people, some of us are actually making valid points and just mentioning small things that we would like to see him get better at

he isn't immune to criticism and we are allowed to point it out without thinking he's a terrible player my god

it's a god damned message board, if we can't talk about what players need to do to get better then what can we talk about
    Exactly. As polished as he already is, Kyrie still has areas of his game on which he can improve in. Nothing wrong at all in discussing that.

I would hope this thread would be a little more than a constant stroke fest over Kyrie.
    "You drew a picture of my morning, but you couldn't make my day."
    -Naughty by Nature

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biw View Post
    constant stroke fest over Kyrie.
    I'm down

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    I don't know what the hell that is about but it seems it's what Scott wants. In recent games the G crosses halfcourt and then passes off to Thompson or Zeller out past the middle of the 3 point line in many halfcourt possessions. Makes no sense. You're taking the ball out of the hands of a player who can create and putting it in the hands of 2 players who can't dribble or pass. Does nothing but slow down the offense. Varejao can pass if you give it to him out there but these two can't at all.
    I think the idea is to pull an opposing big out of the paint ... at least partially ... and encourage some movement in the offense because at the very least one of the guards is going to swing around and get the ball back.

Mostly it's how the offense is supposed to work, and if all the bigs don't get used to working out of the high post, then it's just not going to.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post: