Default Re: Kyrie Irving

Quote Originally Posted by apolo29 View Post
    I'm down
    I lol'd.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think the idea is to pull an opposing big out of the paint ... at least partially ... and encourage some movement in the offense because at the very least one of the guards is going to swing around and get the ball back.

Mostly it's how the offense is supposed to work, and if all the bigs don't get used to working out of the high post, then it's just not going to.
    The Cavs have a lot of token movement. Its movement for the sake of movement. Their cuts aren't really hard, there's no purpose. Its as if they run through the motions waiting for Kyrie or Dion to get the ball back to run a PnR.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    The Cavs have a lot of token movement. Its movement for the sake of movement. Their cuts aren't really hard, there's no purpose. Its as if they run through the motions waiting for Kyrie or Dion to get the ball back to run a PnR.
    agreed the cavs offense is just '50 ways to start a pick and roll'
    'The truth is in the middle' apparently

Thanks
    Thanked 3,352 Times in 1,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAKouki View Post
    Criticizing =/= nitpicking. I think we are all pretty impressed with his game, but pointing out things that we don't like about his game is still......fair game.
    I don't have a problem with that. I don't care if someone, or anyone wants to criticize a player's game. However, I do think it's beyond unfair to "question" his desire, work ethic, effort, etc, when a player has an off game.

I think when someone goes that far, they're not just calling out a player's game, but their character too. Not every play Kyrie will be involved in. Sometimes Kyrie has this "let the game come to me mode". Maybe he has it too much, but bottom line, he's never been the kind of player that forces the issue. The way the Nets, and lots of teams are guarding Kyrie, they're almost forcing him to give the ball up, and let someone else beat him. It's design that way defensively. Kyrie is seeing different respect defensively this year, compared to last year.

He could be selfish, and just turn into a chucker. But he's too smart, and too good of a team player to do that.

The biggest problem lies that Kyrie just needs more talent around him. It's hard for a 6-2 guard, to take it upon himself to win games himself every night. And he almost has to without Andy. It was hard for a 6-9, 265 pound guy to do it here.

Kyrie is definitely flawed, and there are lots of things he needs to clean up on. His shot selection, and choosing when to shoot is definitely not one. He's one of the smarter basketball players I've seen. He doesn't take stupid, ridiculous shots the way LB is prone to. And Kyrie understands what his game is, what isn't better than 99% of the young players in this league.

He's special, we have nothing to worry about with him. It's the rest of the team we should be concern about. Because we're pretty bad.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

i hope he doest turn into a kevin love and produce empty stats

for as good as he has played, the cavs have one of the worst records in the league.

that said he is only 20. i will give him a couple of years to see if he can be a legit franchise players like rose or cp3

Thanks
    Thanked 3,352 Times in 1,443 Posts

Kevin Love is on a terrible team. Basketball is a team sport. There are four other players on the floor. One guy can't do it all.

Rose's team is still floating above .500. It's not fair to do that to Kyrie, when it's obvious guys like Rose, Rondo, CP3, all have much better teams surrounding him.

We have to hit big time this draft. I am not sure Waiters will be anything but a decent player. I really don't like Waiters that much to be frank. I know he's young, I know he needs time. I just don't see anything that stands out in his game. He's not that explosive, inconsistent shooter, and just has an absolutely HORRIBLE feel for the game. He's just OKAY to me. I don't even think he's a starter at all going forward. I'll give him more time before I judge the pick, but so far, I just don't see anything that good about him.

Tristan is finally looking to at least be a quality role player at least. But the way this team looks like now, I fear we'll be the Cleveland Kyrie's. They got to hit home in this draft on a big time impact player.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    Kevin Love is on a terrible team. Basketball is a team sport. There are four other players on the floor. One guy can't do it all.

Rose's team is still floating above .500. It's not fair to do that to Kyrie, when it's obvious guys like Rose, Rondo, CP3, all have much better teams surrounding him.

We have to hit big time this draft. I am not sure Waiters will be anything but a decent player. I really don't like Waiters that much to be frank. I know he's young, I know he needs time. I just don't see anything that stands out in his game. He's not that explosive, inconsistent shooter, and just has an absolutely HORRIBLE feel for the game. He's just OKAY to me. I don't even think he's a starter at all going forward. I'll give him more time before I judge the pick, but so far, I just don't see anything that good about him.

Tristan is finally looking to at least be a quality role player at least. But the way this team looks like now, I fear we'll be the Cleveland Kyrie's. They got to hit home in this draft on a big time impact player.
    I wouldn't call the Wolves a terrible team. They've had a ton of injuries, yet they're still just a game back of Houston for that 6th spot. Minnesota is pretty solid.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

David Thorpe's The top 20 second-year players
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...d-year-players

The Superstar
    1. Kyrie Irving, Cavaliers

There is Irving and there is everyone else. This class didn't look like it would produce many stars when it entered the NBA, and because Irving played only 11 games in college because of injury, there was doubt that even the top pick was going to be special. Pretty quickly, though, Irving proved that he was going to be very good, then he proved to be even better than that.

Recently, we wrote about (and discussed on TrueHoop TV) the different types of elite point guards in this league, and Irving was mentioned as the player with an incredible skills game -- he ranks amongst the league's best as both a ballhandler and shooter, while doing the same as a shotmaker/scorer. He's basically an offensive machine who is matched by few of his peers.

Put it another way: If he had the athleticism of Russell Westbrook or Derek Rose, Irving would be right up there with LeBron James and Kevin Durant in the running for the "World's Best" title. As it is, he's clearly someone who can compete for an MVP award once his franchise catches up to him and surrounds him with better and more experienced talent.
    Irving's the only one in the superstar category. And in case you were wondering TT didn't make the cut.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhi For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,919 Times in 4,154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhi View Post
    David Thorpe's The top 20 second-year players
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...d-year-players

Irving's the only one in the superstar category. And in case you were wondering TT didn't make the cut.
    How in the world was Thompson not on that list? He's playing better than most of the guys Thorpe listed right now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Team Player Gin Rummy Champion Scrote Squad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 514 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    How in the world was Thompson not on that list? He's playing better than most of the guys Thorpe listed right now.
    He did...

7. Tristan Thompson, Cavaliers
    If you have followed the careers of J.J. Hickson, JaVale McGee and DeAndre Jordan, you can better understand why some people, including myself and the Cavs' brass, are still so high on TT. He is just now learning how to read the game, and he's averaging almost a double-double (9.2 points, 8.5 rebounds a game). Thompson is also a good defender who shows potential to be great. He still struggles with finishing, because he's not taking his time to explode and he's always been weak. But as he gets stronger, he'll be able to muscle his way through contact, and thus be able to slow down and gather sometimes before finishing.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scrote Squad For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

My bad. I scrolled through the article but completely failed to see Thompson's name. Ugh.

Team Player
    Thanks

My bad. I scrolled through the article but completely failed to see Thompson's name. Ugh.
    Me too, did he just plug him in after the fact or something ?

EDIT: Actually I think that's exactly what happened, because the pictures for "best of the rest" were also added post-publication.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhi View Post
    Me too, did he just plug him in after the fact or something ?
    I think he might have. Glad someone else can confirm that.

Edit: Looking through the comments, Thompson was definitely added in after. Several comments complained about his absence.

Team Player
    Thanks

I think he might have. Glad someone else can confirm that.

Edit: Looking through the comments, Thompson was definitely added in after. Several comments complained about his absence.
    Yep. He has this to say:

coachthorpe: No one forgot about Thompson, I just scratched one "Thompson" off my final list and forgot I had written about two. He is well deserving of his ranking-sorry if my mistake made anyone think otherwise.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,793 Posts

Irving has no nerves. I've never seen a more composed player in crunch time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to shoes22 For This Useful Post: