Page 388 of 726 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 10876

Thread: Kyrie Irving

Thanks
    Thanked 30,664 Times in 9,775 Posts

Default Re: Kyrie Irving (All-Star)

It's so, so early...but he does have the POTENTIAL to be one of the greatest scorers of the last 30 years or so.

The weapons he has in his arsenal are unrivaled at his age. I cannot think of a single scorer, that at 20 could score in EVERY single way there is. He can score on jumpers off the dribble, he can make layups in traffic, he has a floater, he can post, he can use the glass and he's one of the best three point shooters in the league. In addition to that he has some of the best ball-handling skills in the league.

I just can't think of anyone that could do ALL of that at his age. I don't even know what the next step is for him scoring-wise, because he already has all of the tools and he's both efficient and performs well late in games. I'd think the next step would have more to do with passing and defense, because you can't ask for more scoring-wise. It's unreal.

The thing that always blows my mind is that spin he puts on the ball when he lays it up in traffic.

We're watching a guy that really could end up one of the greatest scorers of all time. It's pretty fun.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

20 years ago there was a guy in the league by the name of Michael Adams. He played point guard for the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets at this time were a horrendous team and Adams had the green light to shoot as much as he wanted. While he could definitely put some points on the board with the ability to shoot and drive, he was nowhere near efficient. He averaged 27 points and 11 assists a game one season, probably one of the best statistics a guard has put up in those categories. But then you look at the finer details and you see that he shot under 40% from 2, under 30% from three and had almost four turnovers a game. With his team finishing a dismal 20-62, it is clear he wasn't helping his team win despite the tremendous numbers.

What's scary about Kyrie is that he the potential to put up even better numbers, perhaps 30 points a game, and not at the poor efficiency of Adams but actually lead leading efficiency. I can't think of the last time a PG averaged more than 30 points a game or lead the league in scoring. Derrick Rose is the only guy of recent memory that comes close.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baseline Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 25,342 Times in 1,905 Posts

The Cavaliers scorekeepers are suspect. Only a handful of PG's in the league average less assists, less steals and more TO's at home then on the road and Irving is leading the pack.
    Questions or Problems? Text me at (216) 395-4RCF
    I'm currently really busy so I can't answer every PM sent. If it something really important that will effect RCF please PM any Mod or Admin

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    Kyrie is now 4th in the league among PGs in PER, 6th in the league among all guards. Only Paul, Westbrook, Parker, Wade and Kobe have better PERs.

The numbers are (before tonight's game)

Paul - 26.12
    Wade - 23.52
    Kobe - 23.44
    Westbrook - 23.09
    Parker - 22.95
    Irving - 22.30

I wish they had splits for PER because I suspect he has a better PER than most of that list this month. Only two players in the whole league are scoring more points per 36 minutes than Kyrie in January, that's Durant and Carmelo, and Kyrie is s far more efficient scorer than Carmelo.
    updated numbers that include last night's games

Paul - 26.11
    Wade - 23.88
    Kobe - 23.65
    Westbrook - 22.98
    Parker - 22.96
    Irving - 22.80

Kyrie is one good game away from having the 2nd best PER by a PG this season.

Thanks

I LOVE that he has added that teardrop floater to his arsenal, haven't seen him use it much but it is such a great weapon if you are consistent with it and it prevents him from getting blocked so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
    I mean 90% of the posts in here don't even make sense. Banning anyone who's posted within a three page period in here would be like carpet bombing a Wal-Mart.

Yeah, there'd be some collateral damage, but you'd solve a good chunk of the problem.
    Proud Danish Cavs fan and a bigger smile than Andrew Wiggins on draft night. long live the Cleveland Canadians!

Thanks

As to Kyrie potentially putting up another 6-7 ppg. I'd rather see Kyrie's assists go up 2-3 more per game and get those extra 4-8 points by creating for others.

At the moment, he is a bit of a chucker whether we want to admit it or not. He just so happens to be one of the best chuckers in the league...at 20.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    As to Kyrie potentially putting up another 6-7 ppg. I'd rather see Kyrie's assists go up 2-3 more per game and get those extra 4-8 points by creating for others.

At the moment, he is a bit of a chucker whether we want to admit it or not. He just so happens to be one of the best chuckers in the league...at 20.
    I actually wouldn't call Kyrie a chucker. A chucker seems to mean that you are inefficient at scoring and just jack up a ton of shots. He averages 18.5 shots per game, which while is definitely going to lead the team, doesn't actually mean he's a chucker.

But I'd agree, I'd rather see Kyrie stay where he is in scoring and instead see his assists rise. That would mean much more good for the team, for a multitude of reasons.

Rising out of the ashes

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amherstcavsfan View Post
    I actually wouldn't call Kyrie a chucker. A chucker seems to mean that you are inefficient at scoring and just jack up a ton of shots. He averages 18.5 shots per game, which while is definitely going to lead the team, doesn't actually mean he's a chucker.

But I'd agree, I'd rather see Kyrie stay where he is in scoring and instead see his assists rise. That would mean much more good for the team, for a multitude of reasons.
    We're not real far apart in our definition of a chucker. My definition of a chucker is a guy who shoots a lot more than he passes and would pass up an assist for a forced shot. It just so happens that when he forces shots...they go in more often than for chuckers like Jennings and Westbrook.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 841 Posts

Kyrie is the type of player that you must earn the respect before he can really pass to you. Only AV and TT have earned his respect with that regard that he usually gives up a shot to pass to them. We have seen it once with Dion in the Clipper game where he continuously looked for Dion in those drive and kicks.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mAo_mAo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We're not real far apart in our definition of a chucker. My definition of a chucker is a guy who shoots a lot more than he passes and would pass up an assist for a forced shot. It just so happens that when he forces shots...they go in more often than for chuckers like Jennings and Westbrook.
    I agree I'd rather see him increase the assists instead of ppg. Regardless of your definition of a chucker, I don't think chucking is bad if you make them. For instance, I read something that said LA is like 12-3 when Kobe shoots under 20 times this year. His chucking hurts because he has other weapons he's ignoring. It doesn't bother me how much Kyrie shoots when he makes about 48% of them, especially because we don't have Dwight Pau and Nash to pass to.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    The Cavaliers scorekeepers are suspect. Only a handful of PG's in the league average less assists, less steals and more TO's at home then on the road and Irving is leading the pack.
    The crappy schedule doesn't help.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,586 Posts

Kyries assists will go up when he has real Nba players around him that can shoot.

Kyrie sure knows the right things to say. Kinda like Lebron at one point. Hopefully hes genuine though. Not sure if posted or if you could see it on tv but in his postgame on court interview they asked what it means to make the ASG. He said all that matters is that everyone will see Cleveland across my chest (which they wont.... they'll see "East").

Thanks
    Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,510 Posts

There have been a few times this year where Kyrie forced bad shots, but in general he just does a very good job of creating his own shots. On our current healthy roster, only Tristan has a better FG% than Kyrie (and Tristan's efficiency has surged lately), and Kyrie has the better eFG% and TS%. Just on the current passes he makes, his assist numbers are down 10 to 20% over where they should be just because his teammates miss so many shots. I suspect that as he gets better shooting teammates, his assists will go up along with his scoring and shooting efficiency.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KI4MVP For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    There have been a few times this year where Kyrie forced bad shots, but in general he just does a very good job of creating his own shots. On our current healthy roster, only Tristan has a better FG% than Kyrie (and Tristan's efficiency has surged lately), and Kyrie has the better eFG% and TS%. Just on the current passes he makes, his assist numbers are down 10 to 20% over where they should be just because his teammates miss so many shots. I suspect that as he gets better shooting teammates, his assists will go up along with his scoring and shooting efficiency.
    I am getting tired of the "bad teammates excuse". Luke Walton had 7 assists with worse team mates than Kyrie. Kyrie had the same amout of assist as TT, which is 2! I don't think I have ever seen a PG play 35 min and only get 2 assists. By the way, his assist numbers are down from last year which would indicate that he is developping bad habits.

This team is not going to win with a Kobe clone playing PG. He needs to get his team mates involved and make the team better as a whole. He is a PG, that's his job first and foremost. Now, I am okay with him taking over in crunch time if needed, but I want to see him involve everybody during the first 3 quarters.

He was crazy efficient last night, but it's bench that won us the game, not him. We were getting killed when he was in. As for him outplaying Jennings, I don't think it was that obvious. Jennings had 10 more assists than Kyrie, which is worth between 20 and 25 points by itself...

I want Kyrie to up his APG to at least 6,5 before the end of the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,160 Posts

at 20.
    I forget he's 20. Gives me chills. Kids not even out of puberty yet.

Can anyone do a comparison of PER or Stats in general for star players when they were 20 in comparison to Kyrie?