2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silky Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,525 Times in 4,822 Posts

Default Re: Kyrie Irving (All-Star)

From the PD:

---
    Kyrie Irving claims NBA's 3-point shootout title: All-Star Insider
    Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer

HOUSTON -- Kyrie Irving identified himself as the dark-horse candidate in the Three-Point Shootout, but he rode off with the trophy.

"I just want go out and prove a point that I was one of the premier shooters out there with all these guys," said Irving, who beat San Antonio's Matt Bonner in the final round, 23-20. "Steve Novak and Matt Bonner, I never thought I'd beat those guys."

In the first round, Irving had 18 points, while New York's Novak had 17 and Indiana's Paul George 10 among the entrants representing the Eastern Conference.

Irving's winning total was two points off the record of 25 set by Craig Hodges in 1986 and tied by ex-Cav Jason Kapono, who was with Toronto when he won in 2008. Mark Price is the only other Cavalier to win the contest, and he did it twice -- in 1993 and 1994.

Price, of course, was lauded for his shooting. Irving admits people don't give him enough credit for his 3-point accuracy.

"I feel like I'm a better off-the-dribble shooter than a spot-up shooter," he said. "I'm not sure how many threes I have on the year [82], but not as many as the guys I was shooting against out there. I try to be as efficient as possible."

Irving missed just five of 25 shots in the final round and hit three of five moneyballs. With LeBron James up and cheering from his front-row seat, Irving hit all five shots from the left corner and the top.

On Friday, Irving scored 32 points in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, and on Sunday he'll make his All-Star debut.

"This weekend was just basically about earning everybody's respect and people getting a chance to see me that don't usually see me," Irving said. "We're not nationally televised. This weekend is to show my face to the fans and get everybody acclimated to my face in the league.

"Every award and everything that I do, the All-Star Weekend is dedicated to the Cavaliers organization, trying to be a great representative for our team."

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 590 Posts

whelp, my attempt to post a ron burghandy meme with "stay classy kyrie" upon reading how everything is dedicated to the Cavs was an utter failure.

You get the idea though.
    Last edited by MGMT; 02-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,654 Posts

Check out the interviews on the nba.com cavaliers site. Good stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zips View Post
    Not showing off the Cavs jersey this year.
    ZOMG, HE'S TOTALLY LEAVING CLEVELAND IN THREE YEARS!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,116 Posts

I heard the interview on ESPN, they interview all the all-stars. Too lazy to look it up, but check it out. For anyone worrying about Kyrie and his loyalties, you'll feel good after listening to it. Stein brings up some point, about playing on a 15 win team, and how hard is that. The way Kyrie answered it, he sees the big picture. He mentions the process, and learning experience of it, but most importantly he sees the Cavs going in the right direction.

Basically takes a negative Stein throws at him, and turns it into a positive.

He could have said "yeah it sucks, part of the learning process". But he mentions OKC, and what they went through. Mentions the good young talent around him. Kyrie seems to be on board and really excited to be here. Excited about the young players surrounding him, the organization. You could tell he felt really strong about the direction we're heading.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,654 Posts

The "Kyrie is going to leave" speculation is pointless. First off, he'll almost definitely will be here for at least 7 years. That is what all the young stars do these days. I guess it makes the most sense financially given the current system. Why bother to speculate any further than that right now? He's 20 years old lol. He says all the right things so that is all we have to go by right now. If he does leave, oh well. It would suck. But I can't sit here and say that he should have to (or that I expect him to) play his entire career in Cleveland.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I heard the interview on ESPN, they interview all the all-stars. Too lazy to look it up, but check it out. For anyone worrying about Kyrie and his loyalties, you'll feel good after listening to it. Stein brings up some point, about playing on a 15 win team, and how hard is that. The way Kyrie answered it, he sees the big picture. He mentions the process, and learning experience of it, but most importantly he sees the Cavs going in the right direction.

He could have said "yeah it sucks, part of the learning process". But he mentions OKC, and what they went through. Mentions the good young talent around him. Kyrie seems to be on board and really excited to be here. Excited about the young players surrounding him, the organization. You could tell he felt really strong about the direction we're heading.
    Same with Dion from last night i think it was a tweet he said look out for cleveland comming up. The you guys are seeing the peices are starting to fit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,511 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post

here if you wanna listen, the way the guy asks the question makes him sound like a douche

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8949358

Rookie
    Thanks

-1st pick in NBA Draft
    -MVP of Rising Stars Challenge (1st year)
    -NBA ROY
    -2nd best player in Rising Stars Challenge (2nd year)
    -NBA 3-pt Contest winner (2nd year)
    -NBA All-Star (2nd year)

Are you kidding me? At every point, he has shown that he's even better than I thought.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akhan786 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,525 Times in 4,822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Are you kidding me? At every point, he has shown that he's even better than I thought.
    The Taco Bell Skills Challenge would like to have a word with you.

I agree that he has piled up the awards, and for good reason.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For those of you who, like me, had to miss it for some reason:

Thanks

That's only the second round, but I figured I'd only post that because it was the more exciting part.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,306 Times in 938 Posts

I browse the high school / college forums just to keep up with what's going on in that level of play. It's hilarious to read through because these guys all have bias & favor kids no matter what due to their backgrounds. Whether it's a Adidas or Nike kid , region or backed up by former/current players.

So they're still arguing when John Wall is gonna bust out and be better than Rose

But reading their convo's what they all agree on and have said is that Kyrie is one of the best shooters they've seen coming up. Even the one's that hate on him with the "not a real pg" talk

Obviously it's translated well to the league

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Da Hard Way For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevalier View Post
    ZOMG, HE'S TOTALLY LEAVING CLEVELAND IN THREE YEARS!!!
    Not sure why my post garners this reply. I don't think I've ever suggested anywhere in my posting history that I am even concerned about that. Everyone else in the contest seemed to take their warmup top off, so it was just odd he didn't (especially with how big he focused on the Cavs jersey last year at this weekend). That's all.
    2013 Dream Draft 4/19
    12- T.Eifert, TE, ND
    42- J. Banks, CB, MSU
    54- J. Pugh, OT, 'Cuse
    77- L. Bell, HB, MSU
    82- C. Lemonier, DE, Aub
    111- T. Simon, CB, LSU
    146- G. Hodges, LB, PSU
    156- E. Watford, OL, JMU
    217- R. Miles, S, Cal(PA)
    224- T.Hawkinson, OL, KU
    250- C. Jones, DT, BGSU