Page 61 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,476 Posts

Default Re: Diet and Workout Routines

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    Lol, so I was gonna dive in here and see what kind of stuff people were doing... Didn't realize it was like a full on steroids discussion in here. Looks like I'm out of my league.

But anyway, just wanted to see what programs / nutrition people were running in here.

I've always been an average sized guy, but just started getting sloppy and sedentary as I was hittin' the late 20's and the body fat started getting stupid, so I'm wrapping up on 9 months of full overhaul.

Started by losing 20 lbs doing weight watchers with the wife (lost over the course of 6 months), and now I'm three weeks away from finishing Insanity. Haven't missed a day yet, cut out all sugar drinks/sodas, been eating 75-85% whole food / whole grain / non-processed diet and been keeping up on my protein intake. Pretty stoked to say it's working pretty well. I've lost 30% of my body fat just doing Insanity alone, and it seems to be picking up even faster this second phase.

Anyone else tried that program? I'm not any kind of fitness head or anything, but stoked it's working. Went from 6'1" two-hundo even to 180 lb and actually getting kinda lean.
    Do Starting Strength. It will provide much better results, especially if your diet is in check.

also, you should keep track of total calories (priority #1!) and then the macros (protein, carbs, fat). don't worry about the sugar, sodium, vitamin, etc shit too much so long as you're a) active and b) eating a well-rounded diet.

i'd suggest tracking your calories with something like myfitnesspal, fitday, or whatever. many have smartphone apps too, some for free (myfitnesspal is for sure).

also, i'd suggest a protein powder as well. you should be eating like 150g of protein per day. that can be difficult to reach without powders unless you're a massive meat eater.

also also, notice you neglected to mention fruits and veggies. dunno if you eat them or not, but you should. lots. more veggies than fruits. if you're not much a cook or into raw veggies, buy those frozen vegetable packs and eat one per day. just try to avoid the cheese sauces and stuff that come with them, get a more plainer version.

try kale too, it's hugely nutritional. roasting it is great (google around a bit for recipes and test them), especially with nutritional yeast sprinkled on prior to (or after) roasting. it's like vegan crack. super healthy + low cal + relatively high protein.
    Last edited by Triumph36; 11-14-2012 at 05:18 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,830 Times in 2,832 Posts

The only thing I'd disagree with out of that whole thing is the protein powders.. There's lots of refuting evidence against the synthesis of powders and the innaccurate assumption that you will digest what it says on the back of the tub. Plus it tastes like shit and isnt filling. Id stay away

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,476 Posts

i don't necessarily disagree about not digesting the entire amount listed on the tub, and some companies use inferior products that make the total digested amount even lower. but, i think if you go with the most reputable brands, you'll come closest to the amount listed on the tub. a guy on reddit actually tested some of the more popular brands (link here).

not suggesting they are at all perfect, but like i noted earlier eating sufficient amounts of protein can be difficult (and expensive). powders can be a decent, relatively cheap low-cal option even if they don't necessarily provide the exact amount listed on the label.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am not so much of a protein powder guy, but a meal replacement drink guy. It also helps me make two meals per day pretty much fool-proof, in terms of nutrients etc. As for my post-workout drink (which is the most important meal you can have while training, in terms of increased performance IMO), I'm usually a 2% chocolate milk; pretty solid macronutrient ratios for post-workout growth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DCunleaded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_K View Post
    The only thing I'd disagree with out of that whole thing is the protein powders.. There's lots of refuting evidence against the synthesis of powders and the innaccurate assumption that you will digest what it says on the back of the tub. Plus it tastes like shit and isnt filling. Id stay away
    I've also read the evidence against the powders. Personally I have a really hard time getting over 100g of protein a day from eating because I don't like to eat meat at every meal, so I eat a protein bar (30g for 330 cal), which is absolutely fantastic in taste. One thing I try and do every other day is eat a can of tuna for lunch, but realisticallly it is about 12 times a month not every other day.

As for the powders they are shit. I've tried blending them, shaking them, stirring them, putting in a half a scoop at a time and shaking/blending, but nothing works. I can't stomach the chunks, and I refuse to drink them. One thing I found that makes the proten powders actually feasible for me is in cold coffee over ice. No cream/milk/sugar just black coffee and a vanilla protein. If you don't like it black then you might want to put in what you usually do...

Protein powder pancakes are great also, I actually stole your recipe for that Dave.

Anyways i've taken a slight break from working out because I was so sore all over, and in my tendons so I was afraid of injury. I'm going to start back tomorrow though, and i'm between 18.25-18.71% bf (depending on the calculator) at 225, so i've almost reached my goal. Big step from where I was.

Edit: As for the absorbtion rate of protein powders i'm not sure if it is similar to that of creatine monhydrate, but I have read that not everyone can sythesise (sp?) it. If you are one of those people then you're basically drinking a super expensive glass of milk, and a lot of empty calories. I found a great powder, not sure of the name, but it's 60 grams of protein (2 scoops) for 260 calories, which is fantastic. I usually get in two scoops a day with coffee, so i'm off to a great start if I am absorbing all of it...
    Last edited by Mdog1; 11-15-2012 at 06:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdog1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Vanilla protein, 2 tbs of peanut butter, 1 banana, and 1 immersion blender. I love my protein shakes now, albeit they are more of a meal replacement because of their size, but mine taste great and don't have any chunks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Funny Man Rocco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Had a really bad day. Dealing with Carl, cleaning out my friends stuff out of his car, tracking down his family. Some dickhead hit my car, all the way up the side. It is fucked. So I Started the tren. IMMEDIATE post injection pain. Like FUCK. never shooting that shit again without grapeseed oil. Im not lean lean, but Im going to supercut this week while the tren starts to kick in and then go balls to the wall and hopefull gain 15 lbs lbm or so. And since im on a good amount of test right now, I can keep my cal pretty low without losing much muscle

Thanks

Also, My Fitness Pal is a god send. Its free and makes counting calories and everything else so easy and fast.

Thanks

Its go time.. all juices are running at full force in a few days.. Im going to up tren to 125mg eod and Im going to run calories around maintenance to do a body recomp. I would be very happy if I lost 12lbs fat and gained 12 lbs muscle. I'd fucking have to be at 10% at that point, and at 190 Id be at Taylor Lauttner status. Bumping up test and tren at the 6 week mark to continue to see quick gains, running tren at least 8 weeks, hopefully 10-12.

I got really lucky and found a random article on hpta and kickstarting your nuts. Im honestly still shut down from last cycle. No sex drive. Anyways, after this cycle its adhering strictly to that regimen (2500iu hcg every other day for 15 days, 45 days of clomid/nolvadex) and then bloodwork to confirm Im good to go and then back on cycle. If I dont have to wait fucking 12 -16 weeks to go back on cycle, im going to be ecstatic. The article suggests you only need 1-2 months off.
    Last edited by David.; 11-21-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

I've been slacking on the diet and training. I had some great gains over summer just naturally.. had a lot of people asking me what type of juice/supplements I was taking.. but I've shrunk down a tad .. 2 weeks and a controlled diet should get me back to where I was if I can stay focused.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Fuck being sick. Goddamn. This is day 4 of being at peak levels of all juice and my first day where Im following my diet. Thank god diet is forgiving while on tren. Thanksgiving was a massacre, both days. Im not doing a fucking recomp. I just feel like if my science is off, i've wasted a cycle and another 12 weeks spinning my wheels. So Im going to bulk for like 5 weeks (hopefully shoot up 10 lbs) and then cut for the remainder. And then cruise instead of coming off, and cut the rest of the fat off until im at 10%.

Really taking a hard look at my diet. Losing fat is fucking boring, i'd rather not go through this again. I cant believe the shit I was eating my last two cycles, especially my first. Leaning up my meats and following macros religiously, protein at a 50% clip. Im already up a few lbs.. I thought I was getting fatter because of thanksgiving but I took like a 5 lb shit this morning (no exaggeration) and my stomach is a little more defined than it was on Tuesday. So idk, still too early to tell how good tren is but I just got back from the gym and im looking massive and looking more athletic than I have in a long time.

Thanks

try mixing the protein powder with milk and greek yogurt in the blender..Tastes great

Thanks

ive tried the greek yogurt thing as part of another mixture of foods, I forget the other ingredient, but I wasnt a fan. I cant get into any high protein dairies

Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 3,486 Posts

So I actually lost a lot of the weight I put on while injured without really trying. I had problems standing for extended periods of time so I didn't cook much and ate crap. Now that I can stand again I've been cooking more. I haven't exercised that much because I'm still kind of hurting, but I'll get on that soon. Still, I've lost about 20 pounds just from being able to walk/stand and cook for myself again. I've basically been doing chicken, a baked potato, and a vegetable for dinner. I knew I'd lose some weight doing this, I just didn't expect it to be so much so fast.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

keep your protein up, muscle is hard to come by, dont wanna lose it.

I must have hit a vein today, coughed so hard I almost vomitted. Dog_K staring at me, cockheaded. Still dont know what Im doing with my diet for this cycle, but I'm at least on the right track. my macros are in much better shape.