Page 79 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2134
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,444 Posts

Default Re: Diet and Workout Routines

Quote Originally Posted by DJTJ View Post
    Easy enough for a beginner in a dorm room?
    Yes, but you will be sore for a couple days, after.
    Yoga is not easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,721 Posts

People putting on weight on different parts of their bodies, while true, is irrelevant to the point that working a muscle does not burn the fat around it. Theres no science to back that up. WHile I applaud you on your improved physique, I would not be as quick to jump on the cause of your fat disappearing to be working out ab muscles and the fat around them subsequently burning off, but rather a caloric deficit created by your exercising.

I havent worked out my legs in forever. My legs arent some monstrous bodies of fat compared to my upper body. In fact, theyre the exact opposite. Theyre normal person legs and I have a larger than normal persons upper body, because Im working those muscles out and feeding them the correct energy (protein, with carbs for synthesis of muscle) to make them grow.

A caloric deficit, regardless of the source (protein, carbs, fat) will cause a drop in fat. See also: Twinkie Diet, created by a highschool teacher to prove that loss of fat is specifically reduced down to intake vs. output of calories (or energy).

Now, that being said, the second part of that last paragraph is SOMEWHAT true.. While the source of your calories is not necessarily important to the amount of weight you lose, it is absolutely important to the overall appearance of your physique. Protein is absolutely the most important of the three macros for muslce; diets consisting of little protein will lead to lack of muscle. Carbs are second most important; best source of actual energy and help aid in the synthesis of protein. Fat is also important; depression is linked to diets without fat.

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Dave, I'm not even sure I'm totally disagreeing with your caloric thing, just believe in boosting metabolism over cutting calories as a more sustainable and effective means.
    No worries, im just laying around casually in my underwear waiting for a meeting, all skin is still atached to my nose. Its absolutely important to understand that all things related to nutrition have the propensity to shift towards the other side of the paradigm and conflict with previous studies regarding the same topic with practically every topic thats ever been discussed, but currently its generally accepted by the community that metabolism change due to low eating is remarkably overhyped, and frankly all that soccer should have his metabolism incredibly high already
    Last edited by David.; 02-20-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Things Dave K was right about:

Dion Waiters will be good
    Anthony Bennett will be good
    Mike Brown will be a fucking idiot, again
    The board sucks without DaveK

And thats practically all. Wrong about almost everything else

Thanks
    Thanked 8,523 Times in 3,394 Posts

I know I haven't shut up about swimming as of late but it's fucking incredible. I wish I started this when I was younger. I fucking hate cardio, but swimming burns me calories and gives me a good core workout as well. Not to mention I seem to go during the fat person and old people hour so it's basically me and the cute lifeguard plus a bunch of people who pretend to swim laps but mostly just hang out by the wall. Not to mention I look fucking amazing just because of the juxtaposition between me and these other people. Hell the lifeguard is probably actually like a 5 but she looks like an 8 because of all the other people around.

Anyway, I've been using a tape measurer to track my gut and it seems to suggest I've lost about 2 inches around my waist in just over a week. Is this possible? Am I measuring wrong? It doesn't seem like that should be legit.
    Ass pennies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

lol...you're obviously well versed on the subject, but as a guy who wrestled his entire life, I am all too familiar with cutting calories. But, i didn't necessarily correlate low metabolic activity to small eating. It's more my belief that it is what you eat...quality over quantity, that will spur metabolism. I've done some studying on this. Not as much as you, and probably not as much recently either, but I really do believe each person's body responds differently to different stimuli. It's really knowing your body that gets the best results, imo.

And of course your legs aren't all fat....all that up and down from your knees is a fantastic leg workout.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalou View Post
    I know I haven't shut up about swimming as of late but it's fucking incredible. I wish I started this when I was younger. I fucking hate cardio, but swimming burns me calories and gives me a good core workout as well. Not to mention I seem to go during the fat person and old people hour so it's basically me and the cute lifeguard plus a bunch of people who pretend to swim laps but mostly just hang out by the wall. Not to mention I look fucking amazing just because of the juxtaposition between me and these other people. Hell the lifeguard is probably actually like a 5 but she looks like an 8 because of all the other people around.

Anyway, I've been using a tape measurer to track my gut and it seems to suggest I've lost about 2 inches around my waist in just over a week. Is this possible? Am I measuring wrong? It doesn't seem like that should be legit.
    Swimming is awesome, dude. One of the best total body workouts you can get. 2 inches sounds ridiculously extreme, but who knows???

And, yes Doc, you're doing that thing that those semi-attractive girls do in bars...surround themselves with a bunch of heffers and they automatically look like dimes. Props for that one. Getting good work in and timing it nicely for the cute LG. Well played.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalou View Post

Back when i did the math, I figured that an inch on the stomach was the equivalent to about 5 lbs for me.. Take into account the fact that everyones hip ratio, height etc. are different, so this is really a rough estimate... Question; when did you start your swimming? Because when first cutting weight (or jchanging diet) the digestive system clears out and makes the stomach smaller.. Also water weight is a contributing factor to quick reduction in size of waist.. This is why whenever someone says 'oh i lost 10 lbs and Ive only been at it for 2 weeks), theyve really lost about 4 or 5 lbs and the rest was waste.. Or if I say "Oh, im on steroids and I gained 10 lbs and its only the third week)', i've really just started eating with an excess and probably consuming foods with higher sodium content and am absolutely retaining more water, and have a more full digestive system.

Take a laxative, bet nothing happens

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post

And of course your legs aren't all fat....all that up and down from your knees is a fantastic leg workout.
    NOW youre getting it!

Thanks

Doc gets me jealous with all his talk of swimming. That resistance that it gives you is incredible. I remember reading somewhere that you can burn 1000+ calories in about an hour, just swimming.

I'm thinking of getting a pass, to a gym, just so I can go swimming, on the weekends.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
    Back when i did the math, I figured that an inch on the stomach was the equivalent to about 5 lbs for me.. Take into account the fact that everyones hip ratio, height etc. are different, so this is really a rough estimate... Question; when did you start your swimming? Because when first cutting weight (or jchanging diet) the digestive system clears out and makes the stomach smaller.. Also water weight is a contributing factor to quick reduction in size of waist.. This is why whenever someone says 'oh i lost 10 lbs and Ive only been at it for 2 weeks), theyve really lost about 4 or 5 lbs and the rest was waste.. Or if I say "Oh, im on steroids and I gained 10 lbs and its only the third week)', i've really just started eating with an excess and probably consuming foods with higher sodium content and am absolutely retaining more water, and have a more full digestive system.

Take a laxative, bet nothing happens

NOW youre getting it!
    I started swimming a while ago, but have really only been doing it hardcore for a couple weeks. I eased back into it because I was nervous about hurting my back, the last two weeks I've been going everyday and swimming sprint laps for about an hour.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

I mean, two inches is a lot... I actually equated 4lbs per inch of fat, but most sources online say its even more lbs per inch than that.. Not sure for sure. I know that stuff isnt all that linear either. Like I dropped my first 6 inches in a heartbeat and then this last inch or two took 2 months of 3 hour daily visits to the gym and a strict diet to cut off

Thanks

I mean, two inches is a lot... I actually equated 4lbs per inch of fat, but most sources online say its even more lbs per inch than that.. Not sure for sure. I know that stuff isnt all that linear either. Like I dropped my first 6 inches in a heartbeat and then this last inch or two took 2 months of 3 hour daily visits to the gym and a strict diet to cut off
    Yeah it seems like an awful lot to me as well. I measured it multiple times to make sure I was right so the only way I'm wrong about it is if I got the number wrong in the "before" measurement.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

Just finished my DDPYOGA "Mix Tape"

DJTJ, here is what to expect, if you decide this is what you want to do:

There are longer ones, The Double Black Diamond workout is 110mins, I believe. I've done that one, once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post

There are longer ones, The Double Black Diamond workout is 110mins, I believe. I've done that one, once.
    Respect to you for being able to do yoga as much as you do. I did P90X for when I was younger and the yoga days were the ones I dreaded the most. I can crush out pushups and pull ups no problem, yoga killed me though.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post

Have you seen the video for DDPY with the former paratrooper who gained all kinds of weight, suffered multiple injuries, and ended up being able to barely walk? Incredibly inspiring. After like 6 months or so doing it he looked like a new man. Walking and running freely like nothing had ever happened.

The yoga X is like over an hour and a half. I still can't do the whole thing. It really frustrates me sometimes(even though I feel good when I'm done doing it).

I just finished back and biceps on P90. It's one of the most intense bicep workouts I've ever done. Can barely type right now.

Thanks

Huh, seems like you were kind of right on the money. I just got back from the gym and weighed myself in the locker room. I'm down 10 lbs. Just gotta be water weight, right? I mean, I do eat healthy and I do swim hard but that just seems extreme.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

Are you weighing yourself at the same times? significant change in diet? If its 10 lbs in a couple weeks, thats a lot.. like 5 or so of fat is understandable, the rest is (hopefully) water or possibly muscle if youre swimming like a fucking fish