Page 89 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2382
    Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 699 Posts

Default Re: Anderson Varejao

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCavs View Post
    Here is an interesting question: Who is more likely to make the All-Star team, Kyrie or Andy? or neither?

To me, there is no way that Cleveland gets two all stars because of how shitty our team is. But it is hard to deny how good Kyrie Irving is, and how amazing Andy is playing, considering that there aren't many all star caliber forwards in the East.

It's almost more likely for Andy to make the team than Kyrie because of the pool of PGs in the east, and Kyrie's injury.
    Considering Kyrie can't stay on the court for more than a handful of games at a time, I'd give the nod to Andy over Kyrie at this point.

Thanks

Posted this in the andy trade thread, thought it would probably be more appropriate here:

Andy is playing like an all star right now. Consistently grabbing 15+ rebounds every night, finishing plays with both his inside scoring and a vastly improved outside shot. It makes me wonder if Andy had that good of a shot for a while now, but he was never allowed to use it during the game. Fred keeps mentioning during the game that coach Scott told Andy to basically not hold back, and take any open shot you get. Now that he is, he seems to be making them more often than not.

I remember the first thread I ever made. It was during the Lebron years when we were looking for a "stretch 4", before we acquired Jamison. I wondered if it was possible for Andy to improve his jumper and become that stretch four. Most people thought his crooked looking shot would never amount to anything. Funny how things turn out. Makes you wonder how things may have turned out differently during that era if Andy was playing at the level he is now.

Oh ya, and here is a piece on what Barkley said:

from: http://cleveland.sbnation.com/clevel...y-varejao-cavs
    Andy always put up points for the Brazil team, yet we never let him shoot. Andy was probably misused a bit in the Lebron era, but considering the coaching, so was everyone else.
    I was raised by a cup of coffee.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah Andy can stretch to 3 spot up. But we dont want himat 3 because his rebounding is so important. But I mean Andys jumper wasnt super solid in the Lebron era, but hes improved it alot and thats all on his hard work.....And it makes it 10x easier when your coach tells you to fire it up

Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mds View Post
    Andy always put up points for the Brazil team, yet we never let him shoot. Andy was probably misused a bit in the Lebron era, but considering the coaching, so was everyone else.
    I agree and would even remove the "probably" before "misused". Mike Brown was a good defensive coach with no mind for offense whatsoever. That much does not need to be rehashed... and the Lakers fiasco this year has only solidified that point. Lebron's unique transcendence as both a maybe-best-of-all-time caliber scorer in isolation and a wildly gifted distributor covered for a lot of Brown's deficiencies, but even then his ineptitude was far from completely masked. So while Varejao was clearly capable of being more involved in a legitimate offensive gameplan even early in his career, he didn't have much of a place in Brown's revolutionary version of the dribble-drive motion offense, which innovated in that it only featured one attacker and little motion.

Varejao's offensive ability even then wasn't completely stifled, though, simply due to how effective and smart he is at playing off of a primary ballhandler, along with the fact that he and Lebron often seemed to just be winging it. Indeed, this Barkley soundbite isn't the first national praise from a divisive figure he's received above and beyond the old "he's scrappy" type of bullshit; who could forget when that basketball genius Skip Bayless proclaimed in all sincerity that we had found our Scottie Pippen in Varejao during the playoffs of what I believe was our Finals run of 2007?

Thanks

Here is an interesting question: Who is more likely to make the All-Star team, Kyrie or Andy? or neither?

To me, there is no way that Cleveland gets two all stars because of how shitty our team is. But it is hard to deny how good Kyrie Irving is, and how amazing Andy is playing, considering that there aren't many all star caliber forwards in the East.

It's almost more likely for Andy to make the team than Kyrie because of the pool of PGs in the east, and Kyrie's injury.
    Well if the ASG was actually about the best players with the best all-around games, I'd say Andy.

But since it isn't at all, probably Kyrie. Although this year Andy almost has to make it...

Season Ticket Holder 3 Ball...GOT IT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 427 Posts

AYEEEEEEE
    ANTHONY BENNETT > TRISTAN THOMPSON

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Anderson Varejao now has 7 straight games with 10+ pts, 15+ reb, 5+ off reb. Only other player with a streak like that was Moses Malone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 839 Posts

It's really fun to watch him play and I really can't imagine not having on the Cavs but a part of me is hoping we cash in this lottery ticket before something happens.

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,074 Posts

and this is what brings a tear to the basketball purist when people want to move the real deal for a promise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 787 Posts

He truly is the Chosen 2

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cavatt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

He's just something special... damn I love him. Trading him would be the biggest mistake.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to "Boobie" Gibson For This Useful Post:

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    He's just something special... damn I love him. Trading him would be the biggest mistake.
    The package offered would have to be considered before a deal is labeled a "big mistake," and his age may (not an absolute, but may) prohibit him from being this kind of player on a really good team in Cleveland... But damn. I love watching this guy play and I almost wish it made less sense to deal him. It would take quite a bit. He has been arguably the best center in the entire NBA through 16 games.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RedBlackAttack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,544 Posts

Ugh, my heart wants Andy to finish his career in Cleveland and at this point he's so damn good you're almost guaranteed not to get equal value for him at least in the short term.

That being said, at this rate, no one is going to give Chris Grant a funny look when teams come asking for Andy and he answers unprotected lottery pick or bust. So conflicted as Andy's low altitude game and his lack of floor time thru the years (via injuries and playing behind Z/Gooden) makes it a not unreasonable possibility that he'll play at a high level for a few more years
    Last edited by Pioneer10; 12-01-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,544 Posts

M.S. Boyer/J. Valade@PDcavsinsider
    Coach Byron Scott after #Cavs beat Hawks, 113-111: "Well, tonight Andy Varejao was again fantastic and everybody else didn’t suck.''
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,178 Posts

Andy's last 5 games

16.8 points, 18.0 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.6 steals, .550 shooting, .857 from the line

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KI4MVP For This Useful Post: