Page 111 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2428
    Rising Star
    Thanks

Default Re: Anderson Varejao (surgery Thursday, out 6-8 weeks)

On the bright side, this pretty much guarantees no chance of a resurgence, a high draft pick, and a fresh Andy for hopefully a breakthrough season next year. Plus TZ might be good to start by then so we could hold Andy to 20-25 minutes a game as an energy big, game closer rather than a 40 minute starter.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,362 Times in 2,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pl4tinum View Post
    shabazz here we come.
    One can hope. I think the kid is going to be something special.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,407 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhi View Post
    Players have to pass physicals when they get traded. Am sure the potential for further damage would have been apparent in the medical tests.
    Well I'm sure the Cavs were banking on this being an injury that would heal on its own, and not require surgery. Hence why, if their press release is to be believed, they waited a week to get a second opinion on it.

Guardian of the Cavaliers Green Lantern's Avatar
    Thanks

Can we just get this seaon over with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Andy for hopefully a breakthrough season next year. .
    I am sure that Andy will definitely break something again next year. He is very consistent.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to B3team For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Another battle wound earned by Andy fighting to earn the Cavs a victory.

He gets hurt a lot because he's going all out for us, the team, all the time. There is a cost. His body. Let's keep that in mind instead of trashing the guy for sustaining an injury again, or trashing the front office for not getting rid of the heart and soul of this team just because they can.

It's an honor that he puts his body at risk all the time for the sake of the team. Thank you Anderson Varejao.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RTrees For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 476 Posts

There goes Andy the all-star. Sigh.
    Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king. - Tywin Lannister

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lionheart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,735 Times in 1,302 Posts

That's three straight years of Andy getting severly injured when trying to win games, while the franchise is actively trying to lose them. Has to be a record.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noonan For This Useful Post:

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd be seriously pissed if I was a season ticket holder paying to watch this garbage. Luckily I'm not..

Looks like there will be no big trade deadline deal now to look forward to unless the Cavs take on a big contract with their capspace. At least there will be many UK, Maryland, and UCLA games on national tv the next few months to get us thru. Of course as Browns fans we have a ton of experience watching draft prospects by the time the season is half over.

Thanks

meh who cares. It's not like this squad was on the path to the playoffs or anything. I could care less about the cavs not being honest or trying to conceal the seriousness of the injury. It's professional sports. Teams do it all the time.

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
    Looks like there will be no big trade deadline deal now to look forward to unless the Cavs take on a big contract with their capspace.
    A deal for Gay could still be in the making as I do not see Varejao being an outbound piece in a such as deal.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 945 Posts

I guess we really have to ask the question now: Is Varejao ever going to get traded now?

My answer is a quick no. I'll say it again for clarity, but Varejao is not an injury prone player per se. It's not like he's got bad knees, arthritis, degenerating cartilage, or a bum back.

Is Anderson Varejao prone to getting injured? Yes, freak injuries find Andy. You can argue that it's his hustling bustling style of play, but in reality this particular injury happened in slow motion. It happened after a rebound, when he accidentally took another man's knee right into the center of his kneecap, right in the junction where the knee attaches to your upper thigh (quadriceps).

If you want to talk about a player who plays a similar hustlers game, but is hurt directly because of his speed and recklessness, then look no further than Gerald Wallace. G-dub, as he's affectionately referred to, plays the game so fast that he appears out of control. His style of play directly causes the injuries that he sustains to his body. He was one concussion away from being out of the NBA. Andy used to play this way, but he's smarter now, there's no need for Andy to even play like that any more. Yet, the reputation has followed him for years that he's still the same flopper and reckless player.

Varejao's injury last season happened when Drew Gooden came down upon his wrist with a Karate chop from hell. It's not like his joints are failing him, he's simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad Luck, nothing more, nothing less.

I just can't help but feel that any GM that tries to trade for Varejao is gonna try to swindle Chris Grant for pennies on the dollar. Andy has a great knowledge of the game, work ethic, heart, defense, perpetual motion etc, I don't think Chris will ever trade the big Brazilian now. He just has too much intrinsic value to this team full of young bloods. He missed his chance to trade him, but we have to wonder how serious the talks ever got.

People have always been trying to pry Andy away from us on the cheap, yet we always turn them away because nobody will give us a fair offer for him. It's not like their offers will be better in the future.

I think it's good that we're going to keep him. Would have loved to get a guy like Rudy Gay, but that seems far fetched and those things rarely happen in real life. It's easy as fans to sit back and say "do this Chris" "trade for this guy CG" but we don't hear the phone calls, we don't know the other teams demands.

I'd like to see this mans jersey in the rafters, and we have to wonder how much good basketball he has left in that body. He's effectively played around one whole season in three years, but, it's not even a direct comparison, it's not like Andy endured the rigor of an entire NBA season on his body. His game is continuing to grow and flourish, and he could play into his 30's. I hope he's still here when we make our title run. I'd keep him on the team and play him only in practice, if it means our young players start to emulate his game.

Really unfortunate news, but however you chop it, I see a lot of good still happening with the Wild Thing in Cleveland. As for the people who wanted to trade Andy for another all star, lottery pick, or bus full of honeys, get real, you don't know the real skinny on what Chris Grant's been listening to.

We're probably back in the lottery now, solely because of Andy's extended absence. Could once again be a blessing in disguise.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 590 Posts

I'm pretty much over Andy now. This is the third straight year where he will miss significant time. Let him get healthy for next year and then either trade him at the deadline or let him go altogether after the season and decline the option. Who cares if you're the greatest guy in the world, but when you play half of the games you shouldn't earn a big paycheck.

whatever
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    We're probably back in the lottery now, solely because of Andy's extended absence. Could once again be a blessing in disguise.
    Uhh, yeah, because we'd be making a real playoff push with a healthy AV coming back...

Team Player
    Thanks

Instead of shutting him down for the yr, I think they should bring him back for two weeks before the end of the season and then trade him on draft day.