Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Smartest Gm of all time! qaws23's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: The decline of JJ Hickson

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    Trolling is a ban-able so is grave digging. I am glad that a guy who was sent to waivers has found a way to turn it around. I appreciate you comparing him to a second year guy who zero offensive skills who is putting up better numbers than Hickson's career numbers.

How am I trolling? I always liked Hickson and felt he should have stayed with the team. But everyone here hated him so Im happy that he's proving all the doubters wrong. It's not his fault that he was traded to that terrible organization in Sacramento.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,120 Times in 2,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qaws23 View Post
    How am I trolling? I always liked Hickson and felt he should have stayed with the team. But everyone here hated him so Im happy that he's proving all the doubters wrong. It's not his fault that he was traded to that terrible organization in Sacramento.
    He's not proving anyone wrong. He, along with Drew Gooden, have always had the capacity to put up good numbers. The problem is that he is clueless when it comes to the defensive end of the floor. He put up stellar numbers in his late career with us...it just didn't matter because of his defensive liabilities.

Plus, before the trade, being cut, and trying to find his way on waivers, Hickson was going to demand a huge chunk of salary that he most definitely did not deserve. Sorry, but I would not be willing to strain our cap flexibility that we have preserved so well to this point on JJ freaking Hickson.

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not everyone... yes, Hickson had his flaws, especially on defense, but I think it could have worked out with another coach...
    Byron Scott basically threw him under the bus in the media before the season even started... Of course he often made some dumb plays on the court, but there were also games in which he dominated offensively...
    From a financial standpoint it was propably the right move to get rid of Hickson though...
    I hope the friggin Kings could turn it around, but right now the chance of ever getting that pick is pretty low

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 921 Posts

Don't mind me i'm cranky today...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 521 Posts

Hasn't Hickson shown in the past that with good teammates, you can actually look very good on the court since most of the action isn't on you. Most of his minutes are with guys like LaMarcus (who always compliments him very well), Batum, Matthews, and Lilliard. Of course he'd look just like old times, but he still only plays 28 minutes compared to the big hitters despite a less than stellar record. And what about his true net numbers at 82games.com?

Some on here just like to drool over stats, and while I was one of those, I did that between 11 and 18. Sooner or later, you'll understand it's not the damn numbers that makes players significant, otherwise Bruce Bowen has no place in history on championship teams.

Also, if it's just a pick, we will get it from them, first OR second round. Doesn't matter much.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

Wish there was a way we could combine Hickson and Thompson and take the strengths of each player. We'd have a pretty solid PF then. Right now one is clueless on the defensive end and the other is clueless on the offensive end.

Cavs didn't believe Hickson could be a part of the future so it made sense to move him. I do think he's grown some and accepted what he needs to be as a player.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 650 Posts

To be honest I'd rather have Hickson than Casspi and a pick we may never see. I don't see the point in LOLing because he's putting up good numbers now. We're all Cavs fans here so at the end of the day Hickson potentially breaking out is a slap in the face to us all. You kind of look like a cunt when you ROFLCOPTER at his haters.
    "You drew a picture of my morning, but you couldn't make my day."
    -Naughty by Nature

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biw For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Eventually, Hickson will turn out to be a first rounder. Even as bad as the Kings organization is, you can't be that bad for so long to have top 10 picks 5 years in a row. Even the worst Clippers teams never did that. Once it does, everybody will remember how great of a trade it was.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biw View Post
    To be honest I'd rather have Hickson than Casspi and a pick we may never see. I don't see the point in LOLing because he's putting up good numbers now. We're all Cavs fans here so at the end of the day Hickson potentially breaking out is a slap in the face to us all. You kind of look like a cunt when you ROFLCOPTER at his haters.
    I would have rather had Casspi and the pick then overpaying for Hickson, which is what we would have needed to do to retain him.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,068 Times in 3,548 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biw View Post
    He's put up good numbers in stretches before, his problem has always been on the mental side of things, and keeping those stretches of greatness consistent.

His previous 9 games before this 5 game burst, he averaged a pedestrian 10.4 Points & 7.7 boards, including games of: 2 & 0; 3 & 7; 10 & 4; and 11 & 3.

Over his last 44 games with us, he averaged 16.3 Points & 11.1 Rebounds. Let's see how he finishes the season before praising his stretches of play.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

Season Ticket Holder 3 Ball...GOT IT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaNewCavs View Post
    I would have rather had Casspi and the pick then overpaying for Hickson, which is what we would have needed to do to retain him.
    Really? Not sure if this is true. I know that was the word around the last season he was here, but he went for 15-8 and really carried their team on both ends of the floor in about 20 games at the end of the season, and partially because of the new CBA, only signed a one year 4 million deal.

Hickson has been playing decent defense lately as well. Last night Anthony Davis only had 15-5 against him, and a few of his points were in garbage time. The game before Duncan had 16-6, both below his season averages. The game before that he held Cousins to 35% shooting, the game before that Roy Hibbert - 10 pts and 7 reb on 23% shooting, the game before that Byron Mullens shot 36%... And we all know he's put up great offense numbers too in an offense without any plays ran for him.

I've also watched a good amount of him on League Pass, and he's become better with his jumpshot. He goes to it much less often, but has also been knocking them down much more often.
    AYEEEEEEE
    ANTHONY BENNETT > TRISTAN THOMPSON

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,069 Posts

JJ hickson is certainly superior offensively than Tristan but Tristan has a deifferent role defensively and handles more responsibility.

In portland JJ hickson primarily defends the post and spot up shooters. Tristan meanwhile defends iso plays, pick and roll much more frequently.

Hickson also plays primarily center where he can take advantage of his speed offensively but defensively his counterparts have an amazing high per and his defensive "successes" have mostly been when the opponenet has find a better matchup to exploit.

22% of Hickson score attempts stem from posting up so im not sure how one can say he doesnt have designed plays.

Hickson has matured. he is being more consistent but overall it was best for him and Cavs to part ways.

letting a guy start for 2 years on a championship caliber team and not ever forcing thim to actually earn his minutes gave hism a sense of entitlement and an inflated ego. it was good for him to have an oppurtunity to come down to earth. I dont beleive he starts for the current cavs roster and he certainly would of ended up gng elsewhere his contract year because the cavs wouldnt of paid it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,436 Posts

So happy for Hickson after everyone shitted on him, said he was garbage and would never get it. Had 24 and 16 boards last night and has average 16 & 13 boards the last 5 games. lol hope everyone enjoys Tristan!
    Why would you even compare JJ with Tristan? We could have had Tristan regardless of whether or not we traded Hickson. If anything, you should be saying, "have fun with Casspi and the Sacramento pick!"
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    Hasn't Hickson shown in the past that with good teammates, you can actually look very good on the court since most of the action isn't on you. Most of his minutes are with guys like LaMarcus (who always compliments him very well), Batum, Matthews, and Lilliard. Of course he'd look just like old times, but he still only plays 28 minutes compared to the big hitters despite a less than stellar record. And what about his true net numbers at 82games.com?

Some on here just like to drool over stats, and while I was one of those, I did that between 11 and 18. Sooner or later, you'll understand it's not the damn numbers that makes players significant, otherwise Bruce Bowen has no place in history on championship teams.

Also, if it's just a pick, we will get it from them, first OR second round. Doesn't matter much.
    There is a handful of Bruce Bowens in the world though...today's NBA has about 3-5 pure defensive stoppers.
    JJ can hold his own in the low post now-a-days at a mediocre level (average NBA post), I'd say him and Tristan are about the same player with JJ having more offensive ability and Tristan with better hands.
    Can't harp on the past though, but if I had to pick one today I take Hickson.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 968 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    He's put up good numbers in stretches before, his problem has always been on the mental side of things, and keeping those stretches of greatness consistent.

His previous 9 games before this 5 game burst, he averaged a pedestrian 10.4 Points & 7.7 boards, including games of: 2 & 0; 3 & 7; 10 & 4; and 11 & 3.

Over his last 44 games with us, he averaged 16.3 Points & 11.1 Rebounds. Let's see how he finishes the season before praising his stretches of play.
    That's considered a good week for Tristan.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to elcheato For This Useful Post: