Page 98 of 181 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2708
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,518 Times in 5,382 Posts

Default Re: The Brandon Weeden Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post
    If he averages 160 yards over the next three games, he'll be 3rd for a rookie behind Peyton Manning and Cam Newton (not including RG3 or Luck). He's on pace to throw 568 passes, which is more than Cam, but less than Bradford and Manning. Not bad.
    Different era of football, really. How many QBs historically have put up this many passing ATTEMPTS as rookies? I'd imagine not that many, it's a small group to compare him to so being near the top of that list isn't really that impressive when considering he's third among rookies this year.

With that said, he's exceeded my expectations, despite being relatively mediocre numbers wise. Not that the Browns schedule has been that tough, but he's improved his decision making to only lobbing one or two up per game that should be intercepted.

He's been the fourth most impressive rookie QB this season, with a woefully poor YPA and sluggish completion percentage. I don't see how anyone can make an argument for him over Luck, RGIII or Russell Wilson.

His yards are nice, but since when has anyone used that as the barometer for success from the QB position?
    Manziel's reps also insist it's a hoax -- and he's never made a penis video on "It's a Small World" or any other Disney ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,841 Times in 2,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    Different era of football, really. How many QBs historically have put up this many passing ATTEMPTS as rookies? I'd imagine not that many, it's a small group to compare him to so being near the top of that list isn't really that impressive when considering he's third among rookies this year.

With that said, he's exceeded my expectations, despite being relatively mediocre numbers wise. Not that the Browns schedule has been that tough, but he's improved his decision making to only lobbing one or two up per game that should be intercepted.

He's been the fourth most impressive rookie QB this season, with a woefully poor YPA and sluggish completion percentage. I don't see how anyone can make an argument for him over Luck, RGIII or Russell Wilson.

His yards are nice, but since when has anyone used that as the barometer for success from the QB position?
    Granted, QB pass attempts is way up, but it is looking like Weeden will be more efficient than Bradford, Dalton and potentially P Manning, whom I would consider this current era of QBs.

Also, Weeden is 2nd in yards gained passing this year, not 3rd. His "woeful" average is 6.6 yards per completion and Luck's is 7.1. You're exaggerating.

Russell Wilson?

Sorry, but I don't see that really at all. I think that is based upon the fact that you don't want to be on Weeden's side. Less than 2500 yards passing. Marshawn Lynch already has over 1,200 rushing yards this season. That helps.

Russell Wilson will not sustain anything he's been able to do for any longer than Weeden will be in the NBA. Just like Garcia and Flutie.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

Thanks

How can anyone possibly say Wilson hasn't been better?

No, he hasn't thrown as much as Weeden...but he's been superior in almost every aspect of the game.

Not sure how anyone can claim he lacks sustainability at this point.
    Manziel's reps also insist it's a hoax -- and he's never made a penis video on "It's a Small World" or any other Disney ride.
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Thanks
    Thanked 7,374 Times in 2,183 Posts

I agree actually. One thing that can be said for Weeden is most of his other offensive skilled players are rookies or 2nd year players. There really is no veteran for him other than Ben Watson. RG3 gas Santana, Fred Davis and Garcon. Luck has Reggie Wayne, Avery and Donald Brown. And Wilson has Lynch and Rice.

Also, i think RG3 has been better than Luck. I know Indy has won more, but there schedule was far easier and RG3 has only 4 turnovers and more touchdowns. When you throw in RG3's rushing yards, his total yards are close to Luck's total yards too.

Thanks

How can anyone possibly say Wilson hasn't been better?

No, he hasn't thrown as much as Weeden...but he's been superior in almost every aspect of the game.

Not sure how anyone can claim he lacks sustainability at this point.
    Agreed, but Weeden has been close to Wilson. I look at it with 2 tiers. RG3 and Wilson have been far better than any other rookie qb, while Wilson, Weeden and even Tannehill have been in a 2nd tier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Agreed, but Weeden has been close to Wilson. I look at it with 2 tiers. RG3 and Wilson have been far better than any other rookie qb, while Wilson, Weeden and even Tannehill have been in a 2nd tier.
    The way Russell Wilson has been playing over the last half of this season, it's hard not to put him in the top tier.

Since week eight, he's thrown 12 touchdowns to only 2 INT, completing 62 percent of his passes or more in all but one game (this past Sunday vs. ARI: 7-for-13).

Add to that, his opponents have been pretty good at defending the pass, so he's not doing this against shit competition. Detroit, Arizona, New York and Chicago all rank among the top 13 in pass defense in the NFL.

He's really taken off and elevated himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,933 Times in 907 Posts

There is no way to prove this or even validate this prediction, but you have to think Russell Wilson is in for a colossal drop-off next season. Defenses adjust. And a 5'11 rookie averaging 191 yards/game with some miraculous (emphasis on miraculous) last minute finishes, just doesn't scream sustainable to me.

Seahawks are good for 21st best total offense. He has managed games while the running game establishes itself and their defense locks down.
    Last edited by Binkster; 12-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Binkster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think that Weeden is the best QB we've had since Cleveland got the Browns back. He can make all of the throws and I have seen some improvement from him as the season has gone along. I do think is just an average NFL starter, but that is still better than the collection of backups we've been trotting out there for years. I have actually been impressed with his mobility the last few weeks. I really thought he would be a statue back there but he's been getting better moving around in the pocket and even taking off and picking up some yards. I'd like to see him improve his accuracy and decision making more, he has improved on hitting guys in stride on slants, but sometimes when he's hurried he'll just make a terrible throw into traffic. He also holds onto the ball a little too long for my liking. It seems that he's develop that clock in his head when he is in his pocket but you can still see him being unsure of where to go with the ball. I don't think he completely trusts what he sees just yet, so that causes him to hold onto the ball when he needs to be getting rid of it or moving on to a check down.

Overall I have been happy with his work, I think there is reason to believe that he can be a solid starter for us. Of course this does depend on what happens with our GM and Head Coach situations. Weeden seems to be a pretty good fit for what we are doing now, but if we make some changes he may become a guy we look to replace.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 713 Posts

Weeden has had a good rookie year. He needs to evolve and take the next step next year though, because he isn't good enough to run a contender yet. But he's certainly done enough in my mind to garner another full year of development.

I might be in the minority on this, but I'd take Weeden over Tannehill or Wilson. There is no doubt RGIII and Luck will be franchise QBs, but the other 3 aren't guarantees. But I'd rather take an older QB than a short one, the Drew Brees' of the world are few and far between, and I just sense that Wilson has higher bust potential than Weeden. As far as Tannehill goes, I think he's got the furthest to go out of any of them, and he might be on the Christian Ponder track in a year or two. None of this is to say Weeden doesn't also come with some issues, most notably the short shelf-life, but the Browns have a limited window with Richardson in the wing, so the shorter window on a QB is something that can be stomached so long as Weeden continues to improve.
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MalTalm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Weeden has had a good rookie year. He needs to evolve and take the next step next year though, because he isn't good enough to run a contender yet. But he's certainly done enough in my mind to garner another full year of development.

I might be in the minority on this, but I'd take Weeden over Tannehill or Wilson. There is no doubt RGIII and Luck will be franchise QBs, but the other 3 aren't guarantees. But I'd rather take an older QB than a short one, the Drew Brees' of the world are few and far between, and I just sense that Wilson has higher bust potential than Weeden. As far as Tannehill goes, I think he's got the furthest to go out of any of them, and he might be on the Christian Ponder track in a year or two. None of this is to say Weeden doesn't also come with some issues, most notably the short shelf-life, but the Browns have a limited window with Richardson in the wing, so the shorter window on a QB is something that can be stomached so long as Weeden continues to improve.
    I think Wilson is over rated too. Tannehil has proven nothing to me, and I see flashes in Weeden.

The one thing I hate is I always thought it was worth paying the asking price to get RG3, and i might have been correct. He really has looked every bit of the future MVP level player.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think Wilson is over rated too. Tannehil has proven nothing to me, and I see flashes in Weeden.

The one thing I hate is I always thought it was worth paying the asking price to get RG3, and i might have been correct. He really has looked every bit of the future MVP level player.
    If we could trade Schwartz, Weeden, Richardson and a 1st next year for RGIII right now, I'd absolutely do it. Though I do worry about RGIII's long term potential in the NFL, at least in a Shannahan system. He's taking a serious beating every week right now.
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MalTalm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 841 Posts

If we could trade Schwartz, Weeden, Richardson and a 1st next year for RGIII right now, I'd absolutely do it. Though I do worry about RGIII's long term potential in the NFL, at least in a Shannahan system. He's taking a serious beating every week right now.
    it would have taken more, we already know that much. chances are it would have meant gordon as well.

that said if the browns game on sunday was a win or die, and it was offered for a healthy RG3, i would take it. in 3 years i think the easy decision is schwartz, weeden, richardson, gordon and whoever the browns end up with this year

Thanks

No way id take Weeden over Wilson,im not going to get into numbers because i dont think they'd be in Weedens Favor(Id also factor in draft position).....I would take Tannehill over Weeden as well he was a College WR at Texas A&M before turning into a QB and i live in SWFL and have to watch alot of Dolphins games and ill just say that Tannehill isnt to shabby and i see more there than i do in Weeden....This is all my opinon but i wouldnt take Weeden over Wilson or Tannehill..

One of the biggest factors in why i would want Wilson or Tannehill is because i would let them develop,granted they havent looked bad out there starting already but if i had to id let them sit and learn the playbook and get a feel for the game before throwing them out there ala Aaron Rodgers....With Weeden you dont have this option you basically have to say hey sink or swim your 29...

Thanks
    Thanked 26,561 Times in 4,018 Posts

Weeden is a 33 year old rookie...he will still start more games in his career than RG3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Weeden is a 33 year old rookie...he will still start more games in his career than RG3.
    started the season at 28, he is now 29