Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    6th Man
    Thanks

Default Re: Greg Oden interview (plans to come back for 2013)

The other thing to consider is that part of Oden's fall was due to his partying/alcoholism, which he opened up about in the past year. He said himself that this set him back both in terms of development when healthy, and rehabilitation; as well as his passion for playing the game. Last interview I read about this he claimed to have rekindled his passion for playing and gotten himself straight.

Players do recovery from this injuries - Kenyon Martin comes to mind. He may never be the dominant big man everyone imagined, but if he could play 20 mins a night in the role of defensive enforcer, that'd be great. As I see it, sign him to a partially guaranteed contract for 2013-2014 and give him the next year to see how he recovers.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,388 Times in 1,250 Posts

This is passive wording from Amico.

Some teams are rumored to have worked out Oden already, including Cleveland, Atlanta and Memphis. But the teams, nor those close to Oden, will confirm those reports.
    Could be teams are trying to keep a low profile before a bidding war breaks out.

Luke, I am your Father Bill Walton.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 677 Posts

Shoulda been a dentist.....
    Read this:
    As I've said before, I never repeat myself

Got something you want me to say? Post it here: http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...lton-Post-1000

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Walton. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 775 Posts

He is still better than any of the bench bigs we got. Sign him up.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Thanks
    Thanked 8,243 Times in 2,479 Posts

Per Celtics blog
    Depending on the contract, it could be a low risk, high reward wager for the Celtics. However, with every positive, there's a negative. He's only 24, but he's already had three microfracture surgeries on his knee. Several teams, including the Spurs, Heat, and his hometown Cavaliers, also have him on their radars, so he'll have many suitors to choose from, but for Oden, it'll be a matter of weighing the importance of opportunity vs. money

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Per Celtics blog

Depending on the contract, it could be a low risk, high reward wager for the Celtics. However, with every positive, there's a negative. He's only 24, but he's already had three microfracture surgeries on his knee. Several teams, including the Spurs, Heat, and his hometown Cavaliers, also have him on their radars, so he'll have many suitors to choose from, but for Oden, it'll be a matter of weighing the importance of opportunity vs. money
    Um, he grew up in Indiana, his hometown team is the Pacers. I hate bad journalism.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Three more teams eyeing Greg Oden
    January, 17, 2013
    4:42PM ET
    By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

Last week, ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein reported Greg Oden's desire to return to the NBA next season, possibly with Miami. Since then, it has been reported that Dallas inquired about Oden, and we've been left to speculate on other teams that might be interested. Today, three more teams popped up on the radar.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com writes:
    "Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in 2007 who hasn't played in an NBA game since 2009 due to a litany of knee injuries, is aiming for a comeback. Part of Oden's plan is to sign with a team in the next month and get into a training and conditioning program with an eye toward returning to the floor next season. The Celtics are among the teams monitoring Oden's progress, and sources tell CBSSports.com's Jeff Goodman that the Spurs and Cavaliers have expressed interest, too."

Wouldn't that be something if there was a bidding war for Oden, who hasn't played in a game in over three years (Dec. 5, 2009)?! Based on how well Oden looks in workouts, that might end up being the case here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SanduskyCav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SanduskyCav View Post
    Three more teams eyeing Greg Oden
    January, 17, 2013
    4:42PM ET
    By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

Last week, ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein reported Greg Oden's desire to return to the NBA next season, possibly with Miami. Since then, it has been reported that Dallas inquired about Oden, and we've been left to speculate on other teams that might be interested. Today, three more teams popped up on the radar.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com writes:
    "Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in 2007 who hasn't played in an NBA game since 2009 due to a litany of knee injuries, is aiming for a comeback. Part of Oden's plan is to sign with a team in the next month and get into a training and conditioning program with an eye toward returning to the floor next season. The Celtics are among the teams monitoring Oden's progress, and sources tell CBSSports.com's Jeff Goodman that the Spurs and Cavaliers have expressed interest, too."

Wouldn't that be something if there was a bidding war for Oden, who hasn't played in a game in over three years (Dec. 5, 2009)?! Based on how well Oden looks in workouts, that might end up being the case here.
    Well we do need to reach the floor next year right? Why not do a big first year and team options for years after. We have nothing to lose other than money in this, and we all know how deep DG's pockets are.

Dazed and Confused FlatulenciaRoar's Avatar
    Thanks

Last week, ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein reported Greg Oden's desire to return to the NBA

Matthew 26:41
    (King James):

the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
    Last edited by FlatulenciaRoar; 01-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    The problem with doing nothing is that I never know when I'm done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FlatulenciaRoar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,204 Posts

You would have to think, considering his history, that being close to the Cleveland Clinic can be a good selling point.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BimboColesHair For This Useful Post:

Smartest Gm of all time! qaws23's Avatar
    Thanks

If he's smart he would sign with the Phoenix Suns.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qaws23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 787 Posts

I wonder if he can transition to a style of play that would be easier on his body. Z would be a good guy to show him how to play while not overtaxing his body. He has good athleticism, but his body can't take him jumping out of the gym for blocks. He needs to play grounded positional defense.

A long term contract would be insane, but something short and big would be worth it. I think that a team like the Cavs with potential, but no pressure to perform right away would be attractive to Oden as opposed to a team like the Celtics or Heat. What exactly will he do if his knee starts bothering him in a finals game? It's easier to go to a place like the Cavs where he can get playing time if he is up to it, but doesn't have to play if he isn't ready.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 607 Posts

It's good to hear that the Spurs are also interested. They always seem to know an opportunity when it arises. Lets me know the Cavs are on the right track.

Luke, I am your Father Bill Walton.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 677 Posts

not going into details. but I heard a rumor about Oden and possible drug addiction. I'd rather not go into details because I have no clue if the source is legit.. just thought I'd let it be known
    Read this:
    As I've said before, I never repeat myself

Got something you want me to say? Post it here: http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...lton-Post-1000

Thanks

im no nba contract guru, but what about outbidding everyone else w a 2yr deal, 2nd year team option

we have space to burn, if he sucks after 1yr, we can dump him, if hes good we have him for 2014 if we try to lure a certain free agent back