View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 34 of 576 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,743 Times in 2,035 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

I was looking for a comparison. I would say Jeff Green at Georgetown. Id bet that if he stayed at UNC all four years, he would strongly be compared to him. But his handles arent as good.

He has a quickness advantage on traditional 4's, and he is a quick leaper, but he doesnt really use his size that well when back to the basket. So he tends to really only post up smaller guys/3's.

Roy has a true freshman and Hubert who are both 210 pounds soaking wet, playing next to him at C, so that has something to do with McAdoo getting his stats. But I just dont get a presence for him on the court. Last year, his energy and being 4th option most nights, he was able to really change the tide in some games like Marv Williams in his freshman year when we won the title. Maybe by the time ACC play starts, he will feel more comfortable as the primary post guy.
    Last edited by RchfldCavRaised; 11-17-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RchfldCavRaised View Post
    I was looking for a comparison. I would say Jeff Green at Georgetown. Id bet that if he stayed at UNC all four years, he would strongly be compared to him. But his handles arent as good.

He has a quickness advantage on traditional 4's, and he is a quick leaper, but he doesnt really use his size that well when back to the basket. So he tends to really only post up smaller guys/3's.

Roy has a true freshman who is 210 pounds soaking wet, starting next to him at C, so that has something to do with McAdoo getting his stats. But I just dont get a presence for him on the court. Last year, his energy and being 4th option most nights, he was able to really change the tide in some games like Marv Williams in his freshman year when we won the title. Maybe by the time ACC play starts, he will feel more comfortable as the primary post guy.
    I think if he's going to be an impact player in the NBA, he'll have to do it as a 4. I don't see the SF skills that will translate unless you try to play a big lineup like Utah and just post him up against the smaller perimeter defender. From what I've seen he gets up really quickly and has pretty good touch around the basket, with a good jumper I think he could be a pretty effective face-up PF in the NBA. He seems to be a bit stronger and longer than the Morris twins (not to mention a better athlete) so I think he could hold up on defense better. He doesn't have the profile to ever be an elite defensive big though.

Keep in mind that I haven't watched him enough this year, so what I'm saying could be completely off-base.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,874 Times in 3,101 Posts

My issue with McAdoo is not a talent issue. It is a fit issue. Unless he play the SF position, and I don't believe he can, he is a bad pick for this team. I really don't like SF/PF combo type players. Derrick Williams, Antawn Jamison, Jeff Green, Shawn Marion. Are they decent players? Absolutely. Are they what will make us a championship team? No.

Looking at our current bigs, we lack two obvious components. A great shot-blocker and a post-up player. If we don't obtain one of those, it is unlikely a championship will ever be obtained. The Cavs need to be scouting the hell out of Zeller, Noel, Len, and Adams. If they believe one of those guys is a franchise big man, they have to do everything to obtain him. I truly believe that obtaining a dominant post player is the most important thing regarding our development.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soar For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,743 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    I truly believe that obtaining a dominant post player is the most important thing regarding our development.
    As do I. I think Kyrie is THAT good already. I think this is the last year to get more than a retread/castaway with a lottery pick.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

This is a damn good year and the best season a tanking team can ask for. A contender is gonna have a 3-8 pick and is in dire need of a big since there 2 centers are having career lows seasons and it just happens that AV decides to have his career year this year. Good thing we held on to AV this long cause with the amount of bigs in the top 8 we will be in good shape.

Also do you guys think Grant would trade thompson at draft time to move up for a SF (shabaazz).... if we had our pick and torontos pick (lets say 2 top 6 picks) and package TT with the lower pick to get to number 1 and pair shabazz with another big in the draft (noel.mcadoo.len.zeller). Do you guys think grant would bite?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

My issue with McAdoo is not a talent issue. It is a fit issue. Unless he play the SF position, and I don't believe he can, he is a bad pick for this team. I really don't like SF/PF combo type players. Derrick Williams, Antawn Jamison, Jeff Green, Shawn Marion. Are they decent players? Absolutely. Are they what will make us a championship team? No.

Looking at our current bigs, we lack two obvious components. A great shot-blocker and a post-up player. If we don't obtain one of those, it is unlikely a championship will ever be obtained. The Cavs need to be scouting the hell out of Zeller, Noel, Len, and Adams. If they believe one of those guys is a franchise big man, they have to do everything to obtain him. I truly believe that obtaining a dominant post player is the most important thing regarding our development.
    the current future front line is tyler zeller and tristan thompson.

so ya, hard to argue with that conclusion. tho some range on his shot is important...

Team Player
    Thanks

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...rica-nba-draft

Every year, the incoming freshman class has a major impact on the draft. This year won't be any different.

Our 2013 NBA Draft Top 100 has a whopping six freshmen projected as one-and-done lottery picks and another seven potential first-rounders. Freshmen have been the rage for NBA scouts since high school seniors were banned from entering the draft in 2007.

In 2007, a record six freshmen -- Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Mike Conley Jr., Brandan Wright,Spencer Hawes and Thaddeus Young -- were drafted in the lottery.

In 2008, seven freshmen -- Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Jerryd Bayless and Anthony Randolph -- broke that record.

But since 2008, GMs have cooled a little on the freshman class. In 2009, just two college freshmen -- Tyreke Evans and DeMar DeRozan -- were drafted in the lottery. The 2010 draft had four freshmen going in the lottery: John Wall, Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins andXavier Henry.

The 2011 class had a ton of elite freshmen, but four of them -- Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger and Terrence Jones -- all decided to return for their sophomore seasons. That left just three freshmen drafted in the lottery -- Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knightand Tristan Thompson.

Last season saw a bit of a resurgence. The first three players selected in the draft were freshmen, with Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal going in order. A total of five freshmen went in the lottery, with Moe Harkless falling just one pick short of the lottery.

The top 12 freshmen

Nerlens Noel, C, Kentucky
    Top 100 Rank: 1

Patience, everyone. Noel is often compared with Anthony Davis. Yes, they're both long and athletic and can block shots. But the comparisons really end there. Noel doesn't have the same motor nor does he have the offensive skills of Davis. So why is he ranked No. 1?

For starters, Anthony Davis isn't in this draft class. Right now, there doesn't appear to be a player like Davis who could win multiple MVP awards in his career. This is just a weaker draft. Second, scouts predict Noel could be a dominant shot-blocker in the NBA, regardless of whether his offensive skills ever come around. And the smart money says his offensive skills will improve.

Lastly, people forget that freshmen who turn into great NBA players don't always dominate every game. Derrick Rose got off to a very slow start at Memphis. Blake Griffin was very shaky in his first two high profile matchups his freshman year at Oklahoma. Davis had three points against Penn State in his third game. He scored just six points in a December contest against North Carolina. At the time, my inbox was filled with people saying "Anthony Davis is a poor man's Marcus Camby." "He's too skinny for the NBA." "He has NO offensive game," etc.

To which I say: Remember, we're talking about freshmen.

So when Noel starts the season with just four points and nine rebounds against Maryland we might just want to chill. In his next game, against Duke's Mason Plumlee, a seasoned senior, he had 16 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists and 4 steals. Not too shabby for an 18-year old kid playing in the second college game of his life.

So yes, he's not going to look like the No. 1 pick for a while ... but scouts can afford to be patient. You should be, too.

Shabazz Muhammad, F, UCLA
    Top 100 Rank: 3

On Friday, the NCAA ruled that Muhammad was ineligible for the start of UCLA's season. Whether that ban continues all season is anyone's guess. Even if Muhammad doesn't play one game all season, every NBA scout I spoke with still believes he's a top-three pick. He's got a terrific motor, is a great scorer and is versatile.

In fact, if Noel doesn't improve, I wouldn't be shocked to see Muhammad go No. 1. Plenty of scouts have concerns about Cody Zeller's long-term upside in the NBA. They may feel Muhammad has more sizzle. At this point, I'm not sure it behooves Muhammad to play for UCLA. His draft stock may be better off sitting the season out.

Isaiah Austin, F/C, Baylor
    Top 100 Rank: 7

Austin got off to a terrific start in his first game for Baylor, dropping 22 points on Lehigh in just 17 minutes. That's giving scouts hope that Austin won't be the sort of positionless, passive player that both Perry Jones and Quincy Miller were during their freshman seasons at Baylor. One scout I trust says that Austin has a lot of Jonathan Bender in him. If he plays with this aggressiveness all season, he too could have a shot at the No. 1 pick.

Alex Poythress, F, Kentucky
    Top 100 Rank: 8

Poythress is a tweener right now, but he's such a special athlete and has so many positives that scouts are willing to overlook his flaws.

If you watched Kentucky's first two games, you saw both his potential and his weaknesses. Against Maryland, he struggled to get into any rhythm, was forcing the issue and didn't seem to really have a position or a role on the team. Against Duke, he was everywhere. He was battling on the boards, making major athletic plays in the paint and stretching the defense with his jumper. If the Poythress we saw against Duke shows up on a regular basis, he's going very, very high.

Steven Adams, C, Pittsburgh

Top 100 Rank: 9

Adams is a tough, physical big man who is still learning the nuances of the American game. The Kiwi import is earning big minutes from Jamie Dixon right away and already looks like he could step in and play defense in the NBA. His defense alone might get him drafted in the lottery. If he can show some offensive game as well, he's got the talent to be a top-10 pick.

Archie Goodwin, G, Kentucky
    Top 100 Rank: 10

Calipari has been comparing Goodwin to a young Russell Westbrook. He has a ton of athletic ability, and no one in college basketball can stay in front of him. But he also seems to have inherited Westbrook's penchant for making bad basketball decisions when he's pressured. Some of the shots Goodwin has taken have been inspired dropped jaws, head shaking or both. Still, Goodwin has elite NBA athlete written all over him. If Calipari can rein him in? Again, top-10 pick.

Anthony Bennett, PF, UNLV
    Top 100 Rank: 14

Bennett may be a bit of a tweener, but few freshmen have his offensive skills and the opportunity to use them. Bennett can score from anywhere on the floor and he's an elite athlete. He scored 22 points in 20 minutes in his first game for the Runnin' Rebels. If he can lead UNLV deep this year and prove he has a position, he's another player who could easily end up in the lottery

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

I'll agree with everyone you mentioned except Shawn Marion. I think his role in Phoenix was a bit ahead of the curve in today's downsizing NBA. Difference between him and everyone else on the list was that all the others are talented offensive players who are too slow to guard 3s and too small/weak to guard PFs; Marion could lock down both positions, and was also one of the best rebounding PFs in the game despite being undersized. And he was an absolute freak athlete in transition to boot. I would absolutely love a Shawn Marion who we could play at PF since he'd be a perfect fit in our offense, but much easier said than done. Still, our biggest need at this point should be a shotblocking athletic freak of a center; as raw as Noel is, the Cavs probably have him high on their board.

Another thing about the sophomores (McAdoo, Len, etc) is that they're supposed to be looking much better than the freshmen at this point with a year of college experience under their belt. At this point last year, Len and McAdoo barely played. First time I saw Len this year I noticed that he seemed to have put on a lot of muscle over the season. I'll be looking forward to seeing a lot of these elite bigs match up later in the season once they get acclimated, I think the next bigs matchup is UK vs Baylor (Noel vs Austin) on Dec. 1

14. The Following User Says Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,582 Posts

I would hate drafting McAdoo for the same reasons I would have hated drafting Derrick Williams.... He doesn't have a true position. Another perfect definition of a SF/PF tweener. You don't draft those guys early on. We need a REAL PF or SF before we get a tweener.

Thanks

Do we wanna hook up the Zeller brothers??

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    I would hate drafting McAdoo for the same reasons I would have hated drafting Derrick Williams.... He doesn't have a true position. Another perfect definition of a SF/PF tweener. You don't draft those guys early on. We need a REAL PF or SF before we get a tweener.
    This is faulty logic. A person who can play both the small forward and the power forward positions (or any combination of positions for that matter) does not automatically default them into the category of being incapable of doing both at a high level in the NBA. It all boils down to the player, not some category into which we can fit them such as a power forward or a small forward.

LeBron James can play any position he wants. Does that make him anything other than the most desired player in the game right now? Being able to play multiple positions is not a problem or deficit by default. If the player is talented enough, it's considered a plus. It comes down to talent, not whether or not he's a pure PG/SG/SF/PF/C.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    This is faulty logic. A person who can play both the small forward and the power forward positions (or any combination of positions for that matter) does not automatically default them into the category of being incapable of doing both at a high level in the NBA. It all boils down to the player, not some category into which we can fit them such as a power forward or a small forward.

LeBron James can play any position he wants. Does that make him anything other than the most desired player in the game right now? Being able to play multiple positions is not a problem or deficit by default. If the player is talented enough, it's considered a plus. It comes down to talent, not whether or not he's a pure PG/SG/SF/PF/C.
    I've been doing some thinking about this for the last couple years and am asking this seriously (since it fits in this post). Is there a player in recent memory (since 2000, say) that has been purely a forward (capable of only playing SF and PF) that has been a true star? Yes, there are wing "tweeners" that play SG/SF (Manu Ginobilli, Andre Iguodala, Joe Johnson). There are big men "tweeners" that play PF/C (Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, LaMarcus Aldridge). There are combo-guard "tweeners" that play PG/SG (Allen Iverson, Russell Westbrook, James Harden). However, I can't think of one top-notch stud that plays just SF and PF. LeBron came into the League as a PG, and can play any position on the court holding his own (other than center), so I don't count him.

I'm not challenging you, but can you (or anyone else) think of a player that bucks this trend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adam81king View Post
    can you (or anyone else) think of a player that bucks this trend?
    Paul Millsap is the only one that comes to mind - Utah loves to run the Millsap/Favors/Jefferson frontcourt. KD arguably plays the PF slot at times, but beyond that, no idea. Very few players both fit the mold and succeed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcm226 View Post
    Do we wanna hook up the Zeller brothers??
    (strictly for me) Yes and no.

Yes, because I believe he'll be a great offensive big man in the league. This is something the Cavs desperately need in the worst way. (I think he could actually be a PF, but that doesn't really matter nor contribute to my opinion)

No, because I believe he'll never be a dominant big man in the league. But it's tough. Who from the class will be a star? We'll have to watch this college season to figure it out.

I think you can tell a lot about how a player will perform in the NBA (or NFL) solely by looking at their name
    Shabazz sounds like a player who will be a stud
    Otto (Porter) does not
    I'm only slightly kidding..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adam81king View Post
    I'm not challenging you, but can you (or anyone else) think of a player that bucks this trend?
    Quote Originally Posted by brooksfosho View Post
    Paul Millsap is the only one that comes to mind - Utah loves to run the Millsap/Favors/Jefferson frontcourt. KD arguably plays the PF slot at times, but beyond that, no idea. Very few players both fit the mold and succeed.
    I agree with brooks 2 examples, Millsap and Durant, with Kevin Durant being the only 'star' to do so. Josh Smith would be another, but again, he's not a star.