View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 40 of 576 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    I said it last year and people got on me for that then, but I still don't see how Cody Zeller could be a star in the NBA. The way I look at it, just about all dominant bigs have some combo of elite strength, length/height, and athleticism to go along with good skills. I just don't see Zeller being anything more than average to slightly above average in any of those areas. Added to which he'll offer little to no shotblocking and average rebounding, and I struggle to see why he should be a top 5 pick when there are many more high upside bigs below him.
    So, he's like Tyler.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,333 Times in 2,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coc Rhakalu View Post

"It felt like anything I tossed up was going in." As it takes him 108 shots to score 138.
    Well, if you read the article, the quote makes sense in the context since this nugget came right before that:

Taylor was 32 of 58 from the field — including 18 3s — in the final 20 minutes and averaged an astonishing four points a minute in the second half.
    Either way that story still boggles my mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 876 Posts

I still think Muhmmad will start to distance himself from the pack as the year goes on. A SF who plays with energy, who plays defense and can average over 20 p a night in the NBA demand close to max money when they hit the FA market. Even though his jumper is still developing I see a mix of Micheal Redd and Latrell Sprewell. He has some of the qualities we liked in MKG but with an advanced offensive skill set. I think he would have gone number 2 last year. I have a feeling Grant really wants to find his center of the future, so I am really hoping put some assets together so we can move back into the bottom of the lottery and grab a center, (in case we strike gold and get into the top 2 and have a chance at Shabazz. I think the two guys that will challenge him for the number 1 spot are Len and Noel. I agree with some of you about Zeller in some ways. I think Zeller will average 16 a night and still get you 8 boards. but you wont get superstar production.

Thanks

Good info from SI about Kentucky prospects

Nerlens Noel, Center

Western Conference executive: "He plays hard. He competes all the time. He has all the intangibles that you like in a big guy. Most big guys don't have the passion. He has a passion for the game. He's limited offensively and needs a lot of work on post moves, but he has all the tools to play in the NBA next season."

Eastern Conference executive: "The first time I saw him was last summer and he was obviously gifted. You could see that he was so quick off his feet. But you could see he doesn't have a wide body. And I didn't see much else from him. I saw a kid that didn't have a high motor, that was maybe an overhyped kid. I have seen him since. And it's a total change. I'm talking about a night and day difference. When he is out there, if he doesn't block a shot, he challenges it. Cal has clearly gotten to that guy and got him to buy into his way of playing. He was too cool this summer, too laid back. There has obviously been a transformation. Defensively, he is pretty special. The only thing that will hold him back is his body, which needs another 15-20 pounds."

Eastern Conference scout: "I like him. ... I know he is a better offensive player than he has shown. He uses both hands pretty well around the rim and he passes the ball well from the high post. He's too unselfish at times. There have been some opportunities for him to score that he doesn't take advantage of. Part of trying to fit in, maybe. But he is athletic, a legit shot blocker and he plays so hard. He gets on the floor after loose balls. He's a top-five pick, for sure."

Western Conference GM: "Noel impacts the game so much from the defensive end of the floor. He's more skilled than people realize. His thing right now is consistency. The other thing that is impressive is he seems to embrace what it is that he does versus trying to prove what he can do outside of his box. You don't see that from a lot of young guys."
    Alex Poythress, Forward

Western Conference executive: "He's a beast. He has a good body and I think he will eventually play outside and shoot the three. He's a definite first-round pick and he should rise on most people's boards quickly. He has a tendency to try to make too many plays, but he will get better with coaching."

Western Conference GM: "I think he has a tremendous tool set. He is the type of guy Calipari does well with. He's a guy who is going to get better as the year goes along. He plays like a 4 but in the NBA, he's a 3, no question."

Eastern Conference executive: "For his age, he has a phenomenal body. But he doesn't have much of a game. He can go get rebounds, but he doesn't have a small forward game. He is a little limited in that way. Against Duke, he was going up against the same caliber of an athlete, and he struggled. He has been a power player I'm sure since high school; now he has to develop a perimeter game."

Eastern Conference scout: "I haven't seen him do anything off the dribble. He doesn't have the ball handling skills of a small forward right now. He's a freak athlete with a great body and a great offensive rebounder who can score around the rim. He puts up points, but he's a power forward. Maybe as the season progresses he will get more comfortable at the 3 spot."
    Archie Goodwin, Guard

Eastern Conference executive: "He makes things look easy on the court. He needs more consistency on his stroke. He is so good athletically and so quick. But in the games I've seen he has made spectacular plays and really dumb plays. He just has to be more of a team leader. He's not a natural point guard, but there are a lot of guys like that in the NBA. He could play two positions for some teams. But his athleticism is so good, I can see real All-Star potential."

Western Conference executive: "Archie is a freak athlete. The issue is he plays too wild. He can't play the point guard in our league because he looks to score every time. He needs to learn to play off the ball as a 2 more. There are too many times that I watch him and he is a little out of control."

Eastern Conference scout: "He has to develop his outside shot. I think it will come with reps because he doesn't have bad form. The kid can get to the basket. That is his skill; he will get fouled because he can create his own shot off the dribble. Cal has been playing him as a point guard, but he is not a point guard. He doesn't have a feel for the position. He has the athletic ability and the body to be a really good defender. Over time, because Cal stresses it, he will get better at defense. Right now he is poor. He falls asleep on the backside on defense. Sometimes when he is defending one-on-one, he stands up in his stance and that's when his man beats him. He has the tools, he just needs the mentality."

Western Conference GM: "Goodwin is very high end, in terms of talent. He has a good spin move in traffic but he is at his best in transition and in the open court. He can shoot the NBA three, I think, already. He looks lost on defense. He's a really bad pick-and-roll defender. That's a bread-and-butter play in the NBA that he is going to have to work on."
    Willie Cauley-Stein, Center

Western Conference executive: "I see him as a fourth big in the NBA. You have to watch him closely because he is not ready yet. He needs a lot of work. But he will probably come out. He is limited offensively. Right now he is a rebounder who alters shots, blocks shots. He is decent out of the post but he doesn't look like he has a good feel for playing there. And I didn't see any moves from him that stood out."

Eastern Conference executive: "I like him more than a lot of people. Calipari has yo-yo'd him in and out of games. But he comes off the bench, and is a 7-footer with low post capability. He has very good defensive instincts, too. Bringing him off the bench, he is only going to get better. He's a role player in the NBA next season."

Eastern Conference scout: "He has skills around the basket. I'd love to see him extend his range a little. He has a chance to be really special. You can tell right now that he could use another year in college. He needs to grow as a player before he jumps."

Western Conference GM: "His skills are underdeveloped because he has not not been playing that long. But he is very active and he has high NBA potential because of his length and mobility. I think he is the one in this group that is likely to have a tough decision to make at the end of the year. He could really explode or he could be so inconsistent that he may not have firm footing in the draft."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

So I have tried to watch UCLA games to see our future SF play, but since we changed cable providers I no longer get a lot of NCAA games like before. I get the big 10 though ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdog1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    So I have tried to watch UCLA games to see our future SF play, but since we changed cable providers I no longer get a lot of NCAA games like before. I get the big 10 though ...
    He is still very rusty and you can tell he is trying to shake off the rust, but the ability to score is already showing. I think his ability to beat Sf of the dribble and finish will force defenders to give him a cushion to continue to work his outside shot(which displays good mechanics) He will never be Lebon or Kobe, but he could end up being as good as Carmelo but in a different way. Tough to say what his upside is until we see another 10-15 games, but I think he has a higher apex then the crop of Waiters, Beal, MKG and and Barnes. I do think he has a chance to be a top20 NBA player that would set our big 3 of Irving, Waiters and SM to be comparible to what OKC had with Durant, Westbrook and Harden. (I am making a huge assumption that Dion develops into the player we saw vs the Clippers and Irving develops into a top 10 NBA player. Now we dont have anyone as good as Durant if that happens, but it creates one of the best offensive 1,23 combos in the NBA for many years to come. The bad news is, we will probably have to get a top 2 pick, and with the lottery the odds are probably against us. I would be very very interested to know what Grant has these guys rated 2 weeks into the season.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 839 Posts

How has Isaiah Austin looked? Somebody brought up a Lamarcus Aldridge comparison.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silky Smooth View Post
    How has Isaiah Austin looked? Somebody brought up a Lamarcus Aldridge comparison.
    Looked good. He is going to have to get stronger, but the skill set is there, and he has a good head on his shoulders. Aldridge is a good comparison, but i think he could really use 2 years in college instead of one. Some scouts feel he has a higher upside then Zeller.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    He is still very rusty and you can tell he is trying to shake off the rust, but the ability to score is already showing. I think his ability to beat Sf of the dribble and finish will force defenders to give him a cushion to continue to work his outside shot(which displays good mechanics) He will never be Lebon or Kobe, but he could end up being as good as Carmelo but in a different way. Tough to say what his upside is until we see another 10-15 games, but I think he has a higher apex then the crop of Waiters, Beal, MKG and and Barnes. I do think he has a chance to be a top20 NBA player that would set our big 3 of Irving, Waiters and SM to be comparible to what OKC had with Durant, Westbrook and Harden. (I am making a huge assumption that Dion develops into the player we saw vs the Clippers and Irving develops into a top 10 NBA player. Now we dont have anyone as good as Durant if that happens, but it creates one of the best offensive 1,23 combos in the NBA for many years to come. The bad news is, we will probably have to get a top 2 pick, and with the lottery the odds are probably against us. I would be very very interested to know what Grant has these guys rated 2 weeks into the season.
    My biggest concern with Bazz was his defense against NBA SF's. I saw very few games of his, but from what I saw, in HS mind you, he looked like his scoring potential was off the charts. Him being left handed could create some mismatches, and i'd like to see how he uses that to his advantage. I'm so pissed that I can't get any of these games... Boxscores just don't do justice for prospects. A player could have a poor boxscore game, but be a terror on defense, or have a great boxscore game, and be a revolving door. A boxscore also doesn't tell you if he is a chucker, or if he takes good shots, and works within the offensive system.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 697 Posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--uc...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Adrian Wojnarowsk
    11/20/2012

Too early to peg UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad as lock for NBA's top draft pick

NEW YORK – Privately, NBA executives had feared that the case of Shabazz Muhammad could present an unprecedented problem: Perhaps the best pro prospect in the draft class would never get his eligibility at UCLA, never giving them a prism to truly evaluate a possible No. 1 pick.

The NCAA had held him out of UCLA's summer trip to China, three games to start the season, but couldn't ultimately close on the leads that it had been chasing on illegal benefits for Muhammad and his family. For all the predictable – and legitimate suspicions – on the associations surrounding the most recruited high school star in America, the business of basketball's food chain needed Muhammad where he emerged on Monday night: Inside the Barclays Center for his college debut, with nearly 50 NBA executives beginning an intensive evaluation of him against high-level competition.

Muhammad let out a deep breath at the scorer's table on Monday night, checking into the UCLA-Georgetown game at the Legends Classic, checking into what promises to be one of the most scrutinized one-and-done college seasons in years. For this will be an unfolding drama about who will become the No. 1 pick in the June draft, and it started with Muhammad's understandably unsteady 15 points in a 78-70 loss to Georgetown.

The scouts had wanted to see Muhammad on Tuesday night, in the tournament final against the No. 1 Indiana Hoosiers. Nevertheless, Georgetown delivered UCLA a clinic on back cuts and zone defense, reducing these superstar Bruin freshmen into largely lost, confused kids. They need time together. For most franchises – for the well-regarded DraftExpress.com – Muhammad and Indiana sophomore power forward Cody Zeller represent two out of the top three candidates for the No. 1 overall pick in June.

"I wanted to get a shot at them," Muhammad said. "But we know we really aren't ready yet."

Not the Bruins, nor Muhammad. Truth be told, Indiana would've destroyed UCLA on Tuesday night. For all the starry All-America freshmen at UCLA – Kyle Anderson to Jordan Adams to Muhammad – the Hoosiers are a throwback program of pro prospects. Beyond the clear greatness of Zeller, a highly recruited prospect, Indiana has become a pure player development machine under coach Tom Crean. From juniors Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey, to seniors Jordan Hulls (think Travis Deiner) and Christian Watford, pro scouts marvel over the development of modestly recruited players into draft-able prospects.

"I think Muhammad is lucky they lost to [Georgetown]," one Western Conference executive said. "Indiana would've put Oladipo on him, and I'm not sure [Muhammad's] ready for that yet.

Muhammad has constructed his pre-college reputation on how fiercely he competes on the floor, how he uses that explosive and chiseled 6-foot-6 frame inside and outside. "His greatest talent is his competitiveness," said an assistant GM who spent several days watching Muhammad in national team practices at the Hoop Summit in the spring. "He's relentless. But does he have the skill level to be the No. 1 pick? I still need to see that out of him."

Muhammad has missed so much time since the summer, missed out on the preseason with a separated shoulder and the NCAA probe, that it was unfair to expect too much out of him in Brooklyn. Everyone knew that Kentucky's Anthony Davis would be the No. 1 pick in the 2012 NBA draft, as far back as his first few weeks in Lexington.

This year, it's different. As one assistant GM of a likely lottery team said, "Whoever is the No. 1 pick, he'll play himself into it this year. I don't think it will ever be a clear-cut choice."

As one Western Conference executive was leaving Barclays on Monday night, he knew he'd have to see Shabazz Muhammad over and over this season. After watching Zeller and Muhammad, he did have a suspicion about this spring's draft. "I think you're going to see a team who gets that first overall pick who will seriously think about trading down and moving out of it."

Muhammad had his moments Monday night – shooting from deep, getting to the rim – but it was far too soon for him to dominate these experienced, well-coached Georgetown Hoyas. Everyone had come to see the freeing of Muhammad and perhaps that will still take time for him. Everyone wanted to see him against No. 1 Indiana, see him against Zeller, but fate probably did him a favor.

Muhammad and UCLA could be terrific this season, the kid could be a superstar, and yet he's nowhere near there now. Even in these one-and-done times, the kid needs time on the practice court, needs time with his teammates. In Brooklyn on Monday night, this was too much, too soon.

Yet, this is the reality of his circumstance: The judging started at the Legends Classic, all these NBA eyes bearing down on him, and those judgments get only harsher from here. For whatever freeing the NCAA had done of Shabazz Muhammad, his next fight is against becoming a prisoner of the immense expectations that surround him.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Woj is always so dramatic. Jesus. The kid had a shaky start - ok. Would UCLA have lost to Indiana, yes - but don't act like they would've embarrassed them and shut down Shabazz completely when they night before they almost got beat by Georgia. There isn't a clear cut number 1 draft pick, we know, but in two games coming off essentially no practice and chemistry with his team Shabazz is shooting 50% on fgs and 3's. He has displayed a very high motor which scouts have boasted since high school. A high motor on both ends and an athleticism that is clear - the kid tries to throw down dunks on everyone in the gym when he gets in the lane. HE ATTACKS, and gets to the line doing so. Shabazz has done far less to remove himself from the #1 overall pick discussion than Zeller has done to remain the #1 pick.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YuenglingGator For This Useful Post:

Season Ticket Holder 3 Ball...GOT IT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CavsinFL View Post
    Woj is always so dramatic. Jesus. The kid had a shaky start - ok. Would UCLA have lost to Indiana, yes - but don't act like they would've embarrassed them and shut down Shabazz completely when they night before they almost got beat by Georgia. There isn't a clear cut number 1 draft pick, we know, but in two games coming off essentially no practice and chemistry with his team Shabazz is shooting 50% on fgs and 3's. He has displayed a very high motor which scouts have boasted since high school. A high motor on both ends and an athleticism that is clear - the kid tries to throw down dunks on everyone in the gym when he gets in the lane. HE ATTACKS, and gets to the line doing so. Shabazz has done far less to remove himself from the #1 overall pick discussion than Zeller has done to remain the #1 pick.
    I watched the Georgetown v Indiana game the other day for my first look at Cody Zeller this year, and he looked far from a dominant big that should be considered at #1. Although it is only one game, I've been much more impressed with Muhammad in the 2 games I've seen him play.
    AYEEEEEEE
    ANTHONY BENNETT > TRISTAN THOMPSON

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3 Ball...GOT IT For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Alex Poythress has been going off since his 1st game. He has had 20-8, 22-5, 20-8, 22-9 last 4 games while shooting no more than 12 shots. He is getting to the line and it seems he knows his limits as he isnt taking many 3's.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ate_To_Go_No_1

Alex Poythress Could Be Sleeper Candidate To Go No. 1
    Nov 21, 2012 2:18 PM EST

Chad Ford has identified Alex Poythress as a potential sleeper pick to go first overall in the 2013 NBA Draft.

The popular candidates to go first have been Shabazz Muhammad, Cody Zeller and Nerlens Noel.

"Of all the players I've seen so far, he's been the most impressive and I think many NBA scouts agree with that," wrote Ford.

Poythress is a freshman at Kentucky.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

21. The Following User Says Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 775 Posts

Poythress has been amazing so far. He would be a perfect 3 in our system since he will not be asked to create his own shots. But I like him more as a PF since he is ferocious around the basket.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Thanks

He has displayed great strength around the basket. The problem is he is only 6'8 in shoes. He has yet to show any outside game and has not had to show any ability to create from the peremiter. Perhaps, he is the second coming of Larry Johnson, but I am very hesitant to draft a sf who relies on brute strength and bulk in the NBA. Now if he develops a solid jumper and shows the ability to beat his man off the dribble, then we are talking! I think our SF of the future needs to be able to knock down open jumpers at a high rate, since Dion and Irving will be breaking down the defense at a high rate. I am not saying he would not be a good fit, but right now he looks like a very strong built undersized 4. Again if he can display more "guard skills" than Larry Johnson in his prime could be a decent best case scenario comparison. However, that is a huge if.

Quote Originally Posted by mAo_mAo View Post
    Poythress has been amazing so far. He would be a perfect 3 in our system since he will not be asked to create his own shots. But I like him more as a PF since he is ferocious around the basket.