View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 41 of 576 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,555 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    He has displayed great strength around the basket. The problem is he is only 6'8 in shoes. He has yet to show any outside game and has not had to show any ability to create from the peremiter. Perhaps, he is the second coming of Larry Johnson, but I am very hesitant to draft a sf who relies on brute strength and bulk in the NBA. Now if he develops a solid jumper and shows the ability to beat his man off the dribble, then we are talking! I think our SF of the future needs to be able to knock down open jumpers at a high rate, since Dion and Irving will be breaking down the defense at a high rate. I am not saying he would not be a good fit, but right now he looks like a very strong built undersized 4. Again if he can display more "guard skills" than Larry Johnson in his prime could be a decent best case scenario comparison. However, that is a huge if.
    Really, it's not height that matters. The guy has a what, 7'3" wingspan last time I heard? He might have a standing reach close to 9 feet, which is above average for a power forward. Blake Griffin's standing reach is only 8'9" or 8'10" and he's 6'10". With that standing reach and wingspan combined with his strength, I don't see why he couldn't play PF.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,978 Times in 3,117 Posts

Poythress is Jeff Green/Thad Young. A good player. Not a great one. 6th man type imo.

3 ball... got it!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 678 Posts

Anyone else like Hardaway Jr.? The big three at the school up north all intrigue me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJTJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 841 Posts

Poythress and Tony Mithcell have the kind of potential I want TT to have. I hope we take those guys if they are available to us notwithstanding we have TT.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJTJ View Post
    Anyone else like Hardaway Jr.? The big three at the school up north all intrigue me.
    I'm a fan of Tim Hardaway Jr and Glenn Robinson Jr. I don't know where TH2 would play on this team with Coach Scott in love with Waiters (who I'd bring off the bench). If Lil Big Dog ends up at 6'8" instead of 6'6", I'd be happy picking him with our second 1st round pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam81king View Post
    I'm a fan of Tim Hardaway Jr and Glenn Robinson Jr. I don't know where TH2 would play on this team with Coach Scott in love with Waiters (who I'd bring off the bench). If Lil Big Dog ends up at 6'8" instead of 6'6", I'd be happy picking him with our second 1st round pick.
    Please tell me this really is his nickname. If its not, it needs to be.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 1,597 Posts

If Poythress can be a true SF I'd love to have him. If he's a tweener.... no thanks. I haven't seen enough of him yet to determine if he truly has a position.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    If Poythress can be a true SF I'd love to have him. If he's a tweener.... no thanks. I haven't seen enough of him yet to determine if he truly has a position.
    Poythress may be the rare tweener that can actually do well at both SF and PF. Like Josh Smith, I think he is better suited to play PF, but will be able to SF as well.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts

NCAA: Top Five Freshmen NBA Draft Prospects
    By Yannis Koutroupis
    Senior NBA Writer & College Basketball Editor

Every year a new freshmen class comes into the NCAA. With youth being valued so highly in the NBA Draft, the top first-year players have a lot to gain in their initial evaluations. With most teams playing anywhere from 3-6 games we’ve had the opportunity to see a lot of the top freshmen in action and five players have separated themselves from the rest from a NBA Draft perspective:

Nerlens Noel, Kentucky, Power Forward/Center
    Looked at by many as the top recruit in the 2012 freshmen class, Noel has shown serious flashes of how good he can be. He’s contributing across the board, showing the ability to seriously impact the game in multiple ways. Noel is notching 11 points a night along with eight rebounds, two assists, two blocks and three steals.

Given the impossible task of replacing last year’s NCAA Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player Anthony Davis, Noel is definitely intriguing in his own right even if he’s not as good as his predecessor. As he develops physically and becomes a more viable threat on the offensive end Noel’s stock will get back into the top five status it used to be in. Currently he has slipped, but that’s due to some excessive expectations being set for him on the outset. He’s still very high on everyone’s draft board, though.

Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA, Shooting Guard
    Outside of potentially winning a national championship, Muhammad’s biggest victory came last week against the NCAA when his appeal earned him immediate eligibility. The Bruins fell in his debut to a talented Georgetown Hoyas team, but Muhammad helped guide them to a bounce-back win over Georgia in his first start. He chipped in 21 points on 50 percent shooting from the floor and the three point line to go along with his four rebounds.

All it took was a modest debut for questions about how well Muhammad fit into the discipline-oriented UCLA attack to start circulating. Some felt he would be better suited for the free-flowing style of Kentucky, but Muhammad is the kind of player who can thrive in any system. His status as the number one overall prospect on HOOPSWORLD’s 2013 mock draft has only been strengthened with his opening-season performances.

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Point Guard/Shooting Guard
    No single player has rocketed up the draft boards since the beginning of the season more than Smart. Taking over the point guard position for the Cowboys, Smart has led the program to a 4-0 start that is highlighted by their recent victory over sixth ranked N.C. State. Smart is second on the team in scoring at 14.8 a contest and leads the team in rebounds (8.0), assists (5.0) and steals (3.0).

He’s struggled with his jump shot out of the gate. It wasn’t his strength in high school and it still remains a work-in-progress. What’s made Smart such an impact freshman is his competitive spirit and work ethic. He never lets up when he’s on the court, always appearing a play or two ahead as well. Smart is just a natural leader who is mature well beyond his years. He originally seemed like the kind of player who could be around for a couple of years, but with the way he’s playing right now the NBA is going to be hard to pass up come April.

Isaiah Austin, Baylor, Power Forward/Center
    Due to his size and skill set, Austin has been on the NBA radar for the better part of the last few years. Big men are always looked at as late bloomers, but Austin appears to have found a nice groove early on in his career as a Bear. He’s finishing offensively and stretching the floor with his shooting ability. Most importantly, though, he’s aggressively hitting the boards and getting the most out of his length.

Big men far less talented than Austin have been selected in the lottery in the past, making him a near lock for the top 14 should he maintain his current level of play and be interested in leaving school early. It’s up to him on how ready he wants to be for the NBA when he gets there. A full offseason in the Bears’ strength and conditioning program could put him in the first overall pick discussion for 2014. There’s still enough time and the race is wide open to the point where he could still work his way into that spot in this year’s draft too, although 2014 seems more likely at this point.

Alex Poythress, Kentucky, Small Forward/Power Forward
    Narrowly edging out teammate Archie Goodwin for the final spot on our list is Noel’s teammate on the frontline, Poythress. We talked about him at length in our last NCAA notebook. To summarize, Poythress is highly effective with a motor that only knows how to operate at its highest level. He’s a load inside with a first step on the outside that makes him difficult to contain out there as well.

Poythress always plays within himself and capitalizes on the opportunities that present themselves within the Wildcats’ system. He fits in perfectly with the team-first mentality and is the main reason why the Wildcats have to be looked at as a serious threat to defend their national championship despite the fact that six of the top seven players from last year’s championship team are in the NBA.

Honorable Mention: Archie Goodwin (Kentucky), Steven Adams (Pittsburgh), Rodney Purvis (N.C. State), Glenn Robinson (Michigan), Willie Cauley-Stein (Kentucky) and Ben McLemore (Kansas).

link: http://www.hoopsworld.com/ncaa-top-f...aft-prospects/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidduck For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Not to sound like Eli did with p.jones cause ive stated my love for alex len before but i just put together some defensive stats and his offensive rebounding that translate to the pros. Now on defense ive seen him play and he is good at hedging the pick and roll and returning back to his man i really belive he has great defensive potential being 7'1 and rumors have his wingspan at 7'5

this is how Len compares to prevous big men drafted before that were hailed game changing defenders, and im using his freshman stats
    Len: 21minutes, 5.4rpg(3.8off), 0.2spg, 2.1bpg. When you average his mpg to 29 it was 7.2rpg(5off), 2.8bpg which he is averaging more in both rebounds and blocks this year as it seems he has taken a huge step foward with his game. Also last year he was suspended the first 10 game and started playing right away vs ACC teams and he still did good for a freshman.

Drummond: 28min, 7.6rpg(3.4offensive), 0.8spg, 2.7bpg
    Leonard: 31min, 8.2rpg(2.3off), 0.5spg, 1.9bpg
    Henson: 29min, 9.9rpg(2.5off), 0.6spg, 2.9bpg (3.2 best as a soph)
    Melo: 25min, 5.8rpg(2.7off), 0.5spg, 2.9bpg
    Tristan Thompson: 30min, 7.8rpg(3.8off), 0.9spg, 2.4bpg
    Favors: 28min, 8.4rpg(3.0off), 0.9spg, 2.1bpg

When you look at this and watch his games you will see how agile he is on defense coupled that with a jump shot that goes to 18ft and you got yourself a players. Tristans offensive rebounding and defensive boards has translated to the league really well, Len averaged the same amount of offensive rebounds as him while playing 9 less minutes. That is amazing considering TT has been labled a great offensive rebounder comming out of college and he is a good one now in the nba. We see how well our offense does having TT and AV rebounding on offense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Can someone with insider post the Ford/Bilas article on the #1 pick?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The discussion: Who's the early favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft?
    Chad Ford: It's been nearly five years since NBA general managers faced the dilemma they do right now. In the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 drafts the choice was clear.
    This year? Not so much.

At least three players -- Kentucky's Nerlens Noel, Indiana's Cody Zeller and UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad -- came into the season with a legit shot at going No. 1. Two others -- Kentucky's Alex Poythress and Maryland's Alex Len -- have been mentioned as possible No. 1s as well by GMs I've spoken with since the season began.

Right now scouts are pretty evenly split among the three. Zeller is off to a somewhat underwhelming start. Muhammad didn't really wow anyone in his first two games. He's aggressive, but teams do have questions about how his game will translate. Noel was billed as being the rawest of the three and for the most part, that's proven true.

Obviously it's very early and things will change. Muhammad has just three games under his belt. Noel has five. And Zeller? He's still adjusting to the fact that he now has a huge target on his chest. In other words, I think we'll see all three get better as the season progresses.

So whom would I take No. 1 if the draft was held today? Zeller's more polished right now and Muhammad has the potential to be a 20 ppg scorer at the next level, but I'd take Noel. I've had him atop my Big Board since July 1 and I've seen nothing to persuade me he isn't the best prospect in this draft. Of the three, Noel has the biggest upside and is the most likely to fit a need on the handful of teams we've already identified as potential NBA lottery teams.

And for the record, Noel hasn't been nearly as raw as we had anticipated. For the first five games at Kentucky, Noel has a college PER of 30.04 -- better than the PER scores of Zeller and Muhammad. He's averaging a respectable 12.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 3.0 apg and 2.6 spg in a little more than 30 minutes a game. He's shooting better than 60 percent from the floor, and despite his aggressiveness on the defensive end, he's managed to stay out of foul trouble.

I think the comparisons to Anthony Davis are unfair. However, he's almost exactly on par with Davis' averages in his first five games and not that far off from where Davis ended the season: 14.2 ppg, 10.4 rpg. 4.6 bpg ,1.6 apg, 1.4 spg on 62 percent shooting.

For someone who was supposed to come in and struggle out of the gate, Noel has been more than solid and is getting better with each game. I still believe he has the inside track on the No. 1 pick, with so few legitimate centers in the league who can really control the paint.

Jay Bilas: This is not a great draft, with an overall talent level that is relatively low compared to past years. This year's class reminds one of 2011, when we all lamented how bad the draft talent crop was (and we were correct, in my judgment), yet there is always good value in any year. The same is true this season. However, there appears to be no Kyrie Irving-caliber player to top this year's draft.

As Chad mentioned, the top three prospects in this year's NBA draft are Noel, Zeller and Muhammad, and each is different.

Noel is long and athletic with a live body and the ability to run, rebound and block or change shots on the defensive end. He has great feet and mobility, and is leading Kentucky in steals as well as blocks and rebounding. He is playing more than 30 minutes per game and is averaging 12 points on only eight shot attempts per game, almost nine rebounds and more than 3.5 blocked shots. Noel is valuable for his ability to change ends and finish plays, but he is very raw on the offensive end and his offensive skill set needs to be refined, and he needs to be able to make free throws. But, because of his size, athletic ability and shot-blocking, he is a worthy top selection. His offense will develop over time, and his instincts and passing ability are impressive for his age.

Zeller is the superior offensive player to Noel, but does not impact the game on the glass or on the defensive end in the same manner. Where Zeller can match or beat Noel is in changing ends of the floor. I don't know whether the Zeller family put the dinner plates 94 feet from too little food, but the Zeller boys can all run the floor. Cody has a good array of post moves and does a nice job out of pick and rolls. He is a much better shooter than he has shown, and is developing a driving game as well. Zeller can hit a face-up shot, but needs to be more assertive in that area. But, while Zeller is going to be a top-five selection and a good pro for a long time, he does not appear to be a future All-Star.

Muhammad is a left-handed, transition-oriented wing who is a worker. He has missed significant time due to a ridiculous NCAA suspension, and he also missed time due to a shoulder injury. Muhammad has not yet impressed to the level of his talent, but I believe he will. Yet, in just 53 total minutes of playing time, he is averaging 18 points per game on 50 percent shooting, and he has gotten to the line 15 times. Muhammad is not a Russell Westbrook athlete, but he is an NBA athlete and can be very good. He still needs to work on his handling and passing, and must become a more reliable perimeter shooter. In the snapshot culture, Muhammad's stock is up and down, but he simply needs some time. He is playing on a young team that is trying to figure it out. Give him another 10 games or so, and Muhammad will prove to be the best player in the Pac-12.

Prospect on the rise

Bilas: Brandon Paul, G, Illinois Fighting Illini
    Paul was outstanding in the Maui Invitational, and not only played to his talent, but played with consistency. Paul has always had the ability to score, as evidenced by his career numbers and his 43-point performance last year against Ohio State. He has very good size for a guard, and he has the ability to bring the ball upcourt and initiate offense. Paul is athletic, and an outstanding long-range and intermediate-range jump shooter who can play in transition or in the half-court. Paul also has the tools to be a really good defender, and he did a nice job defensively in Maui. He clearly has worked on his handle, and has matured as a player and a leader. He needs to continue to improve as a driver and not settle for jump shots. His demeanor is very good, and he has stepped into a leadership role for Illinois.

Ford: Otto Porter, F, Georgetown Hoyas
    Porter absolutely wowed scouts last week at the Legends Classic in New York with his strong play against UCLA and Indiana. His line against UCLA was a box-score stuffer: 18 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks, 3 steals and 2-for-2 on 3-pointers. He struggled in the first half against Indiana the next night before putting the team on his back and carrying it into overtime. Porter had five points and a rebound in the last 30 seconds of regulation.
    What's clear from watching both games is that Porter is now the leader of this team and he's markedly improved his jump shot from last year. Porter's long-range jumper and his leadership abilities were the two biggest questions scouts had about his game.
    Porter's been ranked as a potential top-11 pick on our Big Board since July 1 and hasn't actually moved up in the rankings much, but it's nice to see so many others recognizing what a talent he is.

What to watch for this week

Ford: I actually have a ton of games to watch on my TiVo this week, thanks to the challenges between the Big Ten and ACC, and the Big East and SEC.
    I'm tuning into the North Carolina State-Michigan and North Carolina-Indiana doubleheader Tuesday. I've been disappointed in both North Carolina and NC State so far, but Michigan and Indiana both look like the real deal.

Wednesday has a stellar Ohio State-Duke matchup. I'm much more sold on Duke than I am on Ohio State right now.
    Thursday I'm watching Marquette-Florida and Kentucky-Notre Dame. Florida has been terrific coming out of the gate, but will face a very gritty Marquette team. Notre Dame should be another strong test for Kentucky.

Finally, I'm really looking forward to Friday's Syracuse-Arkansas game. There are a lot of scouts crossing their fingers that Arkansas' B.J. Young is the real deal. With no real point guards in the draft, they need him to be good.

Bilas: I'll be dialing in on Ohio State at Duke. Duke has played a difficult schedule, and Ohio State is on the back end of an NBA-worthy six games in 10 days.
    Duke has played Kentucky, Minnesota, VCU and Louisville, and has been playing a hobbled Seth Curry a ton of minutes. Ohio State has not played the same difficult slate, and will enter Cameron Indoor Stadium Wednesday night as the fresher team. The Buckeyes have an elite scorer in lefty Deshaun Thomas, an elite on-ball defender in Aaron Craft, and a tough all-around performer in Lenzelle Smith Jr.

Duke has gotten great play from Mason Plumlee, who has performed as a first-team All-American, and Quinn Cook, who has been steady and has made great decisions at the point guard spot. Cook was the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis, even though Plumlee was Duke's best player.

Duke comes into this game still smarting from an 85-63 thrashing at Ohio State in last year's ACC-Big Ten Challenge, and will be looking for a little payback. But, to get it, Duke has to dominate the glass and win the frontcourt battle. Ohio State will have a difficult time matching Plumlee and Ryan Kelly inside, and Amir Williams and Evan Ravenel must avoid fouls and play big inside.
    Per your request...

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TopGun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Good night for basketball tonight. Cavs game should finish at 9:30, just in time to flip over to UNC vs IU (McAdoo vs Zeller). Two of my less-liked projected top 5 picks, but it'll be interesting to watch them nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,820 Times in 3,485 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    Good night for basketball tonight. Cavs game should finish at 9:30, just in time to flip over to UNC vs IU (McAdoo vs Zeller). Two of my less-liked projected top 5 picks, but it'll be interesting to watch them nonetheless.
    I really like McAdoo. I haven't seen him much this year as I've been busy. From what I've heard he hasn't been as good this year. He impressed me when I watched him last year though.

He may be a bit undersized to be a 4, but I think he could actually develop the skills to be a perimeter player. He has the quickness and athleticism to do it and his handles are pretty solid.
    Ass pennies

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 681 Posts

Zeller needs to step up as he has been underwhelming thus far this season.