View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 49 of 576 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149549 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,067 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    With the way some of the top prospects haven't blown anyone away, I think it's becoming more and more likely that Grant will shock the Cavs fanbase and pick Gobert like I predicted.

edit: not saying it's the right pick... Just that it's such a Grant pick.
    If we get the number 1-3 picks, and he picks Gobert then I want him fired. Seriously.

Gobert's got all of the measurables to be great, but my god he is not at his current level of play worthy of a top 10 pick, let alone a top 5.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Get me Alex Len...end of story.
    Are you giving us hints that the organization is high on him? I have Len and Muhmamad 1A and 1b. Len reminds me a Rick Smits Z clone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    With the way some of the top prospects haven't blown anyone away, I think it's becoming more and more likely that Grant will shock the Cavs fanbase and pick Gobert like I predicted.

edit: not saying it's the right pick... Just that it's such a Grant pick.
    That won't be happening. He's averaging 7 & 5... in France.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,995 Times in 3,122 Posts

Rudy Gobert- He has a massive wingspan and is very athletic. Is he the next Alexi Ajinca? Or will become a dominant force? I think people forget how much potential Ajinca had. Gobert's size and athleticism are enough to make a lot of scouts drool. He just screams player that rockets up draft boards once he measures in and works out. Given the Cavs extensive scouting in Europe I'm sure they are looking at this kid. Will they take a swing for the fences? Grant has shown he doesn't do what the pundits predict, so seeing Gobert in a Cavalier uniform is entirely possible.

Alex Len- Perhaps the most polished all around big man prospect. That Kentucky performance was something special. Looks a lot like Zydrunas pre-foot issues meaning he has all the tools to be a franchise center. The Cavs passed on Jonas. Given the chance, I doubt they pass on Len. Len would be a great fit and could pretty much play on the court with any of the Cavs current bigs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Soar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,989 Times in 779 Posts

Len would REALLY help our floor spacing, giving Irving and Dion more room to operate.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

My dream draft right now looks like this:
    Alex Len 7'1" C Maryland--Is he what Zydrunas should've been pre foot injuries? Certainly looks that way. My only concern is his strength against NBA centers. He can score and rebound.
    Tony Mitchell 6'8" SF North Texas--Probably won't be able to draft him, but he's physically imposing as a SF with the mental aspect being the only reason he isn't a superstar.
    Nate Wolters 6'4" PG South Dakota State--Should be a solid backup PG. Can help get the 2nd unit the ball where they need it, but can also score on his own.
    Joffrey Lauvergne 6'10" PF France--Young version of Andy. Great hustle, awesome rebounding and defense.

Other players I'm keeping an eye on:
    Steven Adams 7'0" C Pittsburgh--still think he's the best long term center in college, but don't think he'll come out.
    Otto Porter 6'8" SF Georgetown--he's more Tayshaun Prince than anything else. If the Cavaliers get a bona fide post scorer somehow, Porter could be a good fit, not otherwise.
    Ben McLemore 6'5" SG Kansas--he's a prototypical SG. He can shoot, has above-average athleticism and good size. He'd be higher if they they didn't spend #4 on Waiters last year.
    Isaiah Austin 7'1" PF Baylor--I think he could be good, but he's absolutely a PF in the League. He's got more Byron Mullens in his game than Tyson Chandler. Could he be a better Dirk?
    Dario Saric 6'10" SF Croatia--Solid playmaker. Mix of Danilo Galinari and Manu Ginobilli. Not very athletic, but gritty and smart.
    Rudy Gobert 7'2" C France--the longest player in basketball. He'll remind of Ryan Hollins until you see his toughness. Still needs to get stronger and more polished on offense, though.

There are others I'm keeping tabs on, but these are the tops on my list right now.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

You guys are crazy if you think they (at this point at least) should draft Lynn, let alone Gobert with a top-3 pick. I would be much happier with Noel.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stoike View Post
    You guys are crazy if you think they (at this point at least) should draft Lynn, let alone Gobert with a top-3 pick. I would be much happier with Noel.
    Who is this "Lynn" you speak of. And if you think Noel has proved himself (in your words "at this point at least") to be a top 3 pick and LEN hasn't, then you're crazy.
    Last edited by BimboColesHair; 12-03-2012 at 02:13 AM.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BimboColesHair For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I wouldn't draft Lynn with a top 3 pick either. Mostly because I have no idea who he is, how tall he is, or what position he plays.

Alex Len is all of 7+' with excellent footwork and face-up game, above average athleticism and post moves, a willingness to block shots and rebound and a work ethic to get better at all of those things. As I mentioned, his weakness is his strength to bang down low with NBA centers on a consistent basis. Strength is something that can be acquired, though, so I'm less worried about it with Len. The Cavaliers have no player they can give the ball to in the post that can score on their own. They need that as much as, if not more than, a player that can protect the rim. Len, as it happens, can do both of those things (even if he doesn't have as much natural athleticism to block shots as Noel does).

Rudy Gobert has the size to block shots from the bench. A 7'9" wingspan is ridiculous. A 7'9" wingspan perched on top of a 7'2" frame is even more ridiculous. He's still VERY light in the britches and struggles a bit with offensive moves, but he's shown the ability to contribute and protect the rim in the NBA from day 1. Will he be able to hold his own ground on offense and defense in the NBA? Will be be Tyson Chandler? Will he ever have an offensive game? Will he be Shawn Bradley? Those are questions that need to be answered. I don't think anyone would take him in the top 3 today, but he certainly has the ability to earn it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to adam81king For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 4,136 Posts

I just hate trying to figure out who I want the team to draft this early in college basketball. As with every year, players will see their stock rise and fall throughout the year, and we won't really know who is looking the best until around when the tournament starts.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I just hate trying to figure out who I want the team to draft this early in college basketball. As with every year, players will see their stock rise and fall throughout the year, and we won't really know who is looking the best until around when the tournament starts.
    Picking guys that only look good when the tournament starts is almost always a bad choice. That's fools gold. If a player gets hot, he'll rise up draft charts (Derrick Williams, anyone?) and if he cools off, he'll drop like a rock. You want to get the guy that has been consistently good, or good for a longer amount of time than just a hot streak. Yes, you want to watch the tournament and see how a player does when he's under pressure, but you can't watch that to base your scouting on without having the rest of the season as well.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 4,136 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam81king View Post
    Picking guys that only look good when the tournament starts is almost always a bad choice. That's fools gold. If a player gets hot, he'll rise up draft charts (Derrick Williams, anyone?) and if he cools off, he'll drop like a rock. You want to get the guy that has been consistently good, or good for a longer amount of time than just a hot streak. Yes, you want to watch the tournament and see how a player does when he's under pressure, but you can't watch that to base your scouting on without having the rest of the season as well.
    I think you misread my post. I said we'll only know who is who around when the tournament starts, as that is basically the end of the college season. I wasn't referring to guys who did awesome in the tournament, or else I would have said after the tournament.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Been a while since I've been on here, but I've been eying the following for the past few years:

Alex Len

Doug McDermott (6'8 SF from Creighton) <-----SF version of Varejao in terms of hustle & heart

Dario Saric (draft & stash?)

Nate Wolters (glad another poster mentioned him. Reminds me of Nash @ Santa Clara)

Special Mention: Anthony Bennett (Freshman PF for UNLV. A bit undersized, but reminds me of Z-Bo)

There's NO way Cavs would draft more than 2 rookies in 2013, but just putting my $0.02 in.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsCavelette For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Really want Len and Porter. Solves two big needs for us.

Thanks

Updated mock from DraftExpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Lottery
    1 Shabazz Muhammad SG
    19 years old; 6'6"; 223 lbs.
    UCLA, Freshman

2 Nerlens Noel C
    18 years old; 6'11"; 216 lbs.
    Kentucky, Freshman

3 Cody Zeller C
    20 years old; 7'0"; 240 lbs.
    Indiana, Sophomore

4 Rudy Gobert PF/C
    20 years old; 7'1"; 235 lbs.