View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 56 of 576 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156556 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Can This Bennett kid play SF?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LNance View Post
    Can This Bennett kid play SF?
    Maybe in a "Paul Millsap for 6 minutes a night" sort of way, but he is definitely a PF.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 841 Posts

Bennett reminds me of Shawn Kemp.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STAT View Post
    Maybe in a "Paul Millsap for 6 minutes a night" sort of way, but he is definitely a PF.
    Need to watch more of Bennett for sure, but I found myself thinking last night "is there any reason why he can't do the same things Millsap is doing in the league?" He seems much more explosive than you'd think for a guy with his bulk, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    Need to watch more of Bennett for sure, but I found myself thinking last night "is there any reason why he can't do the same things Millsap is doing in the league?" He seems much more explosive than you'd think for a guy with his bulk, that's for sure.
    I agree and that's a large part of why I really like Bennett. I'm not sure Bennett has the natural rebounding ability of Millsap, but a bit more defensive upside considering his superior athleticism. He's definitely one to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

Situational Stopper Halloween Runner Champion Jellyfish Invaders Champion Cheesy Pizza Designer 2 : Cheddar Madness Champion Worm Happy Champion Escher Champion Snake Champion Snake Champion Fishenoid Champion Turbospot Champion Bullet Blocker Champion Jigsaw: Grapes Champion Cuboy Facebutt Champion Imbossible Champion Jigsaw: Purple Decoration Champion Jigsaw: Mushrooms And Wine Champion Skedaddle Champion BubbleWrap Champion Bridgit Mendler Puzzle Game Champion Cascade Champion Displacer Champion Track the Ball Champion Jigsaw: Old Stone Bridge Champion Jigsaw: Evening Light Champion Hidden Ambers - Nature 3 Champion Water Man Champion Sweet hearts Champion Jigsaw: Guacamole Champion
    Thanks

Suck azz for Shabazz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to polklop1 For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mAo_mAo View Post
    Bennett reminds me of Shawn Kemp.
    Sonics version Kemp
    Or
    Cavs version Kemp
    ?
    If we call an older woman chasing after a younger boy a "Cougar"....... Is it safe to say that we can call an old man chasing after a younger boy a "Nittany Lion"???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhard View Post
    Sonics version Kemp
    Or
    Cavs version Kemp
    ?
    Was wondering the same thing, lol

Thanks

I know we have a bunch of Brazilian Cavs fans over here, but does anyone know what happened to Lucas Nogueira? I'd love to throw a pick at him whenever he declares, you could do much worse than a 7 footer with that kind of athleticism.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,886 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    I know we have a bunch of Brazilian Cavs fans over here, but does anyone know what happened to Lucas Nogueira? I'd love to throw a pick at him whenever he declares, you could do much worse than a 7 footer with that kind of athleticism.
    From the Adidas camp in 2011.

But, the buzz isn't all warmth and fuzz, with one GM saying, “[he's] So raw… So raw… and he's out there on the court laughing with all the guys – it's like, ‘get serious,' ”

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2En65Vx4E

I think his attitude in interviews at camps really rubs GMs the wrong way and I think some just think he lacks passion and drive to get better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    From the Adidas camp in 2011.

But, the buzz isn't all warmth and fuzz, with one GM saying, “[he's] So raw… So raw… and he's out there on the court laughing with all the guys – it's like, ‘get serious,' ”

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2En65Vx4E

I think his attitude in interviews at camps really rubs GMs the wrong way and I think some just think he lacks passion and drive to get better.
    Exactly what I mean though. He was big and raw and athletic a year ago, so where's the news on him? Is he planning on declaring for next year's draft?

Thanks

Would anyone with access to ESPN Insider be kind enough to post this latest draft-related blog from Chad Ford? Muchos gracias.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevalier View Post
    Would anyone with access to ESPN Insider be kind enough to post this latest draft-related blog from Chad Ford? Muchos gracias.
    De Nada...

As chronicled all season, NBA scouts and GMs aren't in love with any of the top 3 players on our Big Board as potential No. 1 picks.

Two weeks ago, Jay Bilas and I wrote about Kentucky's Nerlens Noel, Indiana's Cody Zeller and UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad as potential No. 1s.

I wrote then that a handful of scouts were beginning to consider other possibilities. In the past few weeks, the chorus of NBA scouts and GMs open to alternative choices to Noel, Zeller and Muhammad has grown considerably louder.

In Noel, Zeller and Muhammad's case, they have rivals who play the same position and who may offer even more upside.

So who else is in the picture for the No. 1 pick? Here's a look at three players that scouts and GMs are giving serious consideration:

Alex Poythress | F | freshman | Kentucky

Poythress was gaining a lot of momentum toward the No. 1 pick early in the season when he rattled off four consecutive 20-point games for the Wildcats. A head scratching three-point performance against Notre Dame, where he took just one shot from the field, stopped the momentum a bit, but scouts still feel he could replace Muhammad as the winger of choice come draft night.

To date, Poythress is having the better season. Muhammad is scoring slightly more points per game (16 ppg to 15.5 ppg), but Poythress is doing it much more efficiently. Poythress is also a better rebounder and defender. He is an inch taller than Muhammad and has a longer wingspan.

Both Muhammad and Poythress have incredible motors. Both players are strong and have games that translate right away. Muhammad is a more aggressive scorer, and Poythress is much more efficient. But the biggest reason scouts are infatuated with Poythress is that he is a better athlete. In fact, he may be the most athletic player in the draft.

"When both players were in high school, it was really clear to me that Muhammad was the guy," one NBA scout said. "But Poythress really came on his senior year, and I feel like perhaps Muhammad is peaking athletically while Poythress is still just scratching the surface of who he could be. I'm a little worried that Poythress may never have that killer instinct that Muhammad has. I also think that Poythress has considerably more upside. It would be a really tough choice for me if our team is picking between the two."

With concerns mounting about Muhammad, Poythress has the chance to overtake him on draft night and could be the No. 1 pick if a team needed a forward at No. 1.

Alex Len | C | sophomore | Maryland

Zeller came into the season as the nation's elite offensive big man, but he is getting a run from Len.

Len and Zeller are putting up similar numbers. Zeller is scoring more (15 ppg to 14 ppg) and shooting a higher percentage from the field, but Len is a better rebounder (9 rpg to 7.6 rpg ) and shot-blocker (2.5 bpg to 1.4 bpg).

Len has a significant height advantage over Zeller. He is 7-foot-1 to Zeller's 6-11 and has a longer wingspan. Both players run the floor well and can score around the basket. Len has a better face-the-basket game, and on defense, his additional size and length gives him an advantage at the next level.

The biggest thing going for Len is a feeling among scouts that he is just now tapping into his potential, whereas Zeller may be close to reaching his ceiling.

"I love Zeller," one NBA GM said, "but I see him as a complementary player in our league. He'll play a long time, but I just don't see him being the type of player that turns around your team. That's what you're looking for with a No. 1 pick. Len isn't as far along, but you look at his size and abilities and it's not hard to imagine him as a credible starting center in the NBA. I think that gives him the advantage."

Rudy Gobert | C | France

Gaizka Iroz/AFP/Getty Images
    Rudy Gobert could develop into a No. 1 pick by next summer.
    Noel has the most athletic tools of anyone at the top of the draft, but many scouts feel Gobert might be equally talented.

The early returns from France don't scream No. 1 pick. He is averaging 7 ppg, 4.5 rpg and 2 bpg in around 20 mpg for Cholet. But his play in last summer's Eurocamp, combined with some ridiculous measurements (7-1 with a crazy 7-9 wingspan) has teams intrigued.

Gobert's best attribute, like Noel, is his explosive leaping ability and mobility for a player his size.

Like Noel, Gobert is primarily a defensive presence at the moment. He is a dominant shot-blocker and a good rebounder. And like Noel, he needs to add a lot of strength and more offensive moves.

Why would a GM take Gobert over Noel -- especially when you factor in that Noel is playing huge minutes for Kentucky while Gobert is playing a supporting role in France?

"I wonder how big Noel really is," one GM said. "Gobert, on the other hand, is huge. Both guys are great athletes and defensive minded, so you have to ask if a couple of inches and four or five extra inches of wingspan make up the difference. In my mind, they might. No one has that sort of length in the NBA. That could be a game-changer."

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jlegg21 For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 680 Posts

I gather that Poythress is being evaluated as a 3 by at least some GMs then? Interesting. Very very interesting.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,797 Times in 949 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    I gather that Poythress is being evaluated as a 3 by at least some GMs then? Interesting. Very very interesting.
    I'm just not a fan of Poythress, he screams Terrence Jones to me.

No good comes from having a 3 that cannot dribble, just ask Alonzo Gee.

Shabazz Muhammad is going to be the next James Harden. He's a Kobe Bryant like competitor, and that is what separates you from the pack. Nothing about Poythress seems special to me. He's definitely not a slouch by any means, but his ceiling seems to be Harrison Barnes.

Really, please, someone tell me what is so different about Alex Poythress compared to Harrison Barnes and Terrence Jones. He's probably a better shooter than Jones, but he's got the same CRITICAL flaw as Barnes, he can't dribble for shit!

He'll probably do very well on advanced metrics and CG is going to fall in love with him. Grant will also probably pass up Shabazz because we already have Dion......

Wrong wrong wrong! Shabazz is going to be much better than Dion, he's got a post game, a solid solid jump-shot and some really nice athleticism. Bazz is also a lefty, just like Harden.
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 12-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.