View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 59 of 576 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159559 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

He reminds me a bit of another UNLV PF, Larry Johnson. Not gonna put him anywhere near that category yet, but who knows if he can keep up this level of play.

Should clarify that. They're similar in that they're both thick, undersized PFs from UNLV with a diverse game and a ton of athleticism, but Grandmama was a much much better prospect based on what people say about him in college (way before my time, but I've seen him in some ESPN classic games).
    Last edited by howler1313; 12-17-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    He reminds me a bit of another UNLV PF, Larry Johnson. Not gonna put him anywhere near that category yet, but who knows if he can keep up this level of play.

Should clarify that. They're similar in that they're both thick, undersized PFs from UNLV with a diverse game and a ton of athleticism, but Grandmama was a much much better prospect based on what people say about him in college (way before my time, but I've seen him in some ESPN classic games).
    I was in Charlotte when Larry came to town. There was a lot of speculation he would not translate into an NBA player because he was short. But he was insanely strong, and he did have a diverse game. Before he hurt the back he was every bit the elite player he thought he was. But even after the back took away some of the speed and lift he was still pretty good, just could not get past being a$$hole..
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleveRocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 527 Posts

would be great if somebody could post this article:

edit: thanks a lot drewz05
    Last edited by *L-Train*; 12-17-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

Ask and you shall receive. It's very long BTW.

The discussion: Who are the top 10 prospects in the NBA draft?

Jay Bilas: I have said many times this season that there are no truly "great" teams in college basketball. I see this season much like I saw 2010, as a season of some very good teams, but no great ones. Of course, there are those who push back against that judgment, suggesting that a comparison of records clearly indicates that there is greatness in teams.

Yet when I also say that this is not a "great" NBA draft class, there is far less pushback. The No. 1 pick and the lottery are of differing levels of quality and future potential each year; some years are better than others, some are historically great and some are just plain ordinary. This season, it appears to be more ordinary than great. I believe the same holds true for teams, and the two things are directly linked.

Today, college basketball is like a pond that has been systematically overfished for many years. Every season, we attempt to re-stock the pond with a new freshman class, but the quality of play and the quality of the college basketball pond is, in large measure, determined by the quality of the freshman class. This season, we have a good freshman class, but not a great one.

That stated, there is some value in this year's class -- it's just harder to find. We have some potential starters, but there look like few All-Stars.

1. Nerlens Noel, Kentucky Wildcats: Noel does not have an offensive game nor the body type that indicates he will bulk up and carry greater weight. However, he can impact the game with how active he is, how hard he consistently plays and how he blocks shots, runs and rebounds. Noel is only 18 years old, has a 7-foot-3 wingspan and continues to blossom. He is not -- nor will he ever be -- Anthony Davis, but he is a willing passer and an outstanding athlete who may very well be the best risk to take in this year's draft.

2. Alex Len, Maryland Terrapins: Len will be a starting center in the NBA, and has the best potential as a pivot man in the league. A true 7-footer, Len has size and skill along with the best offensive game among centers available in this year's draft. Len also has good hands, can pass out of the post and can face up and hit perimeter shots. He is a productive rebounder and shot-blocker, and is gaining strength and confidence in his first full season at Maryland. Len is a worthy selection at No. 1 this year.

3. Cody Zeller, Indiana Hoosiers: Zeller is not an NBA All-Star, but he is going to be a good player in the NBA, and I believe he has the tools and the drive to continue to get better. Zeller is the most skilled of the big men in this year's class, is the best runner among big men, can shoot the ball with touch and will continue to develop as an offensive player. The drawbacks for Zeller are his lack of lower-body strength and assertiveness; he does not get and hold position, can get pushed off of a spot and is not a high-volume rebounder. He also needs to show more of a killer instinct to demand the ball when he has a matchup advantage. Still, he is very good, and I believe he will continue to get better.

4. Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse Orange: Carter-Williams is the best point guard prospect in this year's draft, and has the best passing instincts, court vision and imagination. He can score and distribute the ball, and has the size (6-6, 185) to both deliver the ball over bigger defenders and shoot over them. On the defensive end, Carter-Williams has size, length and excellent anticipation skills. In a game in which the point guard position is the closest equivalent to the quarterback position in football, Carter-Williams is worth taking this high.

5. Archie Goodwin, Kentucky Wildcats: Goodwin is very young (18), but has tremendous tools and an aptitude for the game. He is super-athletic and excels in transition. His ability to find openings and seams in the open floor will be a great asset in the NBA, as will his ability to get to the basket or in the lane off the dribble. Goodwin is not a great shooter, but he is streaky. His shot will need to be refined, but I believe improvement in shooting consistency is not only possible for Goodwin, but probable.

6. Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA Bruins: Muhammad is a competitor, but he has not had the chance to show it yet. I believe that Muhammad is still behind from sitting over a shoulder injury and the NCAA investigation, and it will take him some time to catch up -- and to figure it out when his team is going through a tough transformation. Muhammad is not a superior athlete, but a very good one. However, his value comes in his ability to attack the basket, score and compete on both ends. I compare Muhammad more to an O.J. Mayo-type player who is better defensively. He will do well in the NBA.

7. Alex Poythress, Kentucky Wildcats: Poythress is an overpowering athlete who can rebound really well on the offensive glass and get to the rim. His strengths are his slashing ability and how hard he plays and goes after the ball. As a shooter, Poythress needs work; right now, he is not capable of consistently hitting perimeter shots -- or getting his own shot. However, he is very productive and will continue to improve.

8. C.J. McCollum, Lehigh Mountain Hawks: McCollum was the best guard at the Nike Skills Academy this summer, and won almost every matchup he had against other quality players in this year's draft class. He is not a superior athlete, but has good quickness with the ball and is an excellent perimeter defender. McCollum is very smart, can really score in the open floor or in half-court sets and is a good rebounder for a guard. At 21 years old, McCollum is mature and closer to who he will be in the future than some of the other NBA prospects. But he is still pretty darn good right now.

9. Ben McLemore, Kansas Jayhawks: In the future, I may look back on this and think I had McLemore too low. This young player is just scratching the surface of how good he is going to be, and you can see his growth almost game by game under Bill Self. McLemore is a fluid athlete who can really rise, and he is one of the rare players who can jump out of the gym with the tools to be an excellent jump-shooter. McLemore has the ability to defend, and he is a good rebounder for a guard. As he matures and gets more court time, he will get better and better.

10. Anthony Bennett, UNLV Rebels: Only 6-7, Bennett is productive and active around the basket and has shown the ability to change ends. Plus, he is an outstanding rebounder, especially on the offensive boards, and he is aggressive. It was a tough call to put Bennett ahead of Mason Plumlee as Plumlee is bigger, more athletic and just as productive right now. However, Bennett gets the nod because he is a better offensive player who can shoot to 3-point range, and he has a better offensive skill set.

Chad Ford: Jay's list points out the challenge and opportunity for NBA talent evaluators this year. If you are looking for a franchise-changing superstar at the top of the draft, you're going to be disappointed.

In a normal draft, the guys at the top of this list would go somewhere between Nos. 5 and 10. In a great draft, they all may be late lottery picks. Unfortunately, this is what we have this season. This draft reminds me a lot of the 2006 draft; there was no clear No. 1 pick and virtually every player on the board carried significant red flags coming into the draft. Andrea Bargnani went No. 1, and at the time, it was hard to make a serious argument that there were players clearly better than him. Of course, in hindsight, a player like LaMarcus Aldridge or Rudy Gay would've made more sense for the Raptors to take at No. 1. But at the time, there were major questions about those guys, too. The best player in that draft may have been Rajon Rondo, who went No. 22 overall.

But before Wizards, Cavs and Hornets fans start feeling sorry for themselves, they should remember that while this draft class isn't great at the top, it is fairly deep. All of the players in our top 10 have the potential to be great NBA players -- and one or two of them probably will be.

Here's my take, after talking with a number of NBA scouts and GMs, on what the top 10 looks like right now. It's still very early in the process and a player or two could still emerge. The players on the list are virtually the same as Jay's -- it's the order that's a little different.

1. Nerlens Noel, Kentucky Wildcats: Jay and I both agree that Noel remains the default No. 1 pick. The biggest reason is upside; he's a super-athletic 18-year-old who already looks like he can be a defensive presence in the NBA. He needs to get stronger and improve his offensive game, but his development under Coach Cal has impressed scouts, as has his consistently high motor. He's far from a sure thing, but he may have the most star potential of any player in the draft.

2. Alex Len, Maryland Terrapins: Last week, we moved Len up from No. 5 to No. 2 in our Top 100 not because of a series of stellar games, but because scouts increasingly think that in a risky draft, you swing for size. At 7-1, Len has the size to be an NBA center. He's bigger and better offensively than Noel and is also a terrific shot-blocker and rebounder. Len will have to play consistently well in the ACC to keep this spot, but if he does, he could easily end up surpassing Noel for the No. 1 pick.

3. Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA Bruins: Jay has Muhammad a little lower, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a top-three pick. He hasn't been great in the early going, but most scouts lay the blame on a preseason shoulder injury and Ben Howland's "make every prospect look like a second-round pick" system. Scouts were so uniformly behind Muhammad in high school that it's hard to see them giving up on him even if his freshman season is a disappointment. He may be the only player on this list who is likely to average 20 points per game in an NBA season.

4. Cody Zeller, Indiana Hoosiers: Scouts have cooled a bit on Zeller the past few weeks. Though he's played well enough for Indiana, questions center on his fit at the next level. Is he big enough to play the 5? Does he have enough of a perimeter game to play the 4? What is he exactly? The basketball skills are all there, and no big man runs the floor better than Zeller. But scouts continue to struggle to find the right comparison, which hurts his chances of going in the top three.

5. Alex Poythress, Kentucky Wildcats: Poythress may be the most polarizing player on this list; some scouts love him while others aren't big on him. It reminds me a lot of the debates surrounding Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at this time last season. Poythress isn't MKG, but his playing style impacts the outcome of the game in ways that don't always show up in the box score. I still believe he has the chance to emerge as a top-three pick.

6. Anthony Bennett, UNLV Rebels: No player is seeing his NBA stock rise higher than Bennett at the moment. He's been the best freshman in the country, ranks seventh in the NCAA in PER and seems to get better every game. If he was two inches taller, he'd be the clear favorite for the No. 1 pick; however, at 6-7, GMs are still hesitant to move him higher on the list. I wouldn't be. With a 7-foot-1 wingspan, excellent athleticism and a versatile offensive game, I think he's got a very good chance at being the best player in this draft.

7. Archie Goodwin, Kentucky Wildcats: Goodwin is an electric scorer and acrobatic finisher at the basket. Like a lot of players on this list, his lack of a clearly defined position has created doubts about his NBA game. And so has his erratic shot selection. But if he settles down and plays to his strengths, there is some Russell Westbrook in him.

8. Otto Porter, Georgetown Hoyas: Porter is the only player to appear on my list that isn't on Jay's list. That's OK. I love Jay's pick of McCollum, but I'm skeptical that he goes in the top 10 just because NBA GMs and scouts are pretty adverse to selecting players his age (21) that high in the draft. Porter, to me, is the most underrated player in the country. John Thompson's offense is never going to highlight one player and the diversity of Porter's skills tend to make him blend in. He might be another Jeff Green clone and, if he is, he'll be a bit of a disappointment. But I see some Scottie Pippen in him. With the right team and the right coach, he could be a star at the next level.

9. Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse Orange: Carter-Williams is clearly the best point guard in the country and a player capable of going in the top five on draft night. But I'm hesitant to put him that high for a couple of reasons. First, he's already 21 years old and will be 22 before he plays his first game in the NBA. Many of the players in his class are two years younger than he is, and age really matters to NBA talent evaluators. Second, NBA teams are taking a wait-and-see approach with Carter-Williams; they want to see him play against a tough, physical Big East schedule before they write him into the top five.

10. Ben McLemore, Kansas Jayhawks: There are lot of players who could fit the bill here, but no one has more momentum right now than McLemore. His confidence seems to be growing game by game, and given the immense amount of talent he possesses, it seems like he's one huge Big 12 run away from becoming a top-five pick. Scouts worry a bit that he can be a wallflower, a la Brandon Rush, but given how he's played lately, I'm not sure that knock is going to stick much longer.

Prospect on the rise

Bilas: Rasheed Sulaimon, G, Duke Blue Devils

Every time I watch Sulaimon play or practice, I come away more impressed. He has good size (6-4, 185) and length, and is really good with the ball. Excellent in transition, he can attack off the dribble and he has the tools to be an excellent and consistent perimeter shooter. Defensively, Sulaimon looks like he was born in a stance, and he can guard very well. A smart, savvy, hard worker who is also a terrific teammate, Sulaimon has the demeanor of a Ray Allen-type player. He is an excellent future prospect.

Victor Oladipo, Reggie Bullock
    Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesVictor Oladipo is a lockdown defender with an improving offensive game.

Ford: Victor Oladipo, G, Indiana Hoosiers

Zeller gets the lion's share of attention from NBA scouts, but on their frequent trips to watch Zeller in action, a number of scouts have walked away with another name highlighted on their iPads: Oladipo. Last season, he was considered a high-energy athlete with no real offensive game. This season, with an improved jumper and even better defensive numbers, some scouts believe they've found the next Tony Allen. Oladipo's energy is infectious, and he can lock down just about everyone, from point guards to power forwards. And on offense, he shows an above-average ability to finish around the rim. Plus, even his 3-point shot is starting to fall a little bit. No one is calling Oladipo a lottery pick right now, but it's looking more and more likely that he will hear his name called somewhere in the first round in June.

What to watch for this week

Bilas: This week, there are some really good matchups and milestones as we head into the holiday break. First, I am looking forward to seeing Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, in his 37th season at the helm of the Orange program, win his 900th game, joining only Mike Krzyzewski and Bob Knight in achieving that milestone on the Division I level. I have known Boeheim since he recruited me as a high school player, and there is no coach in the game I respect any more than him.

Boeheim is an incredibly smart basketball coach, and he has had a remarkable career at Syracuse. He has been an innovator and has a great handle on what it takes for his teams to win and to do so in the most efficient manner. Don't let the demeanor fool you; Boeheim is a competitor of the highest order, and one of the smartest coaches in the history of college basketball.

I am also interested in seeing Illinois and Missouri in the "Braggin' Rights" game in St. Louis on Saturday. Illinois has been outstanding, and few guards have been able to match Brandon Paul this season in terms of productivity and leadership. Missouri will have Jabari Brown available to help make up for the absence of recent transfer Michael Dixon, and the Tigers will be perhaps the toughest challenge to date for the Illini. That will be a fun game to watch.

Ford: I'll spend the weekend at the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu. I'm really excited to see two teams in person -- Arizona and San Diego State. Of the two, Arizona is the most intriguing to me; the Wildcats scored a huge victory against Florida on Saturday and are one of the few elite unbeaten teams in the country.

They are also full of young potential NBA prospects. NBA scouts are very intrigued with big man Kaleb Tarczewski as well as freshmen forwards Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett. Sophomore combo guard Nick Johnson also is getting a serious second look from scouts. I'm not sure that they will be an elite team come March -- they are awfully young -- but few teams have as much young talent as Arizona.

I'm also thrilled to watch San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin and freshman Winston Shepard. We've written about Franklin extensively this season, and Shepard also is one to watch. The freshman hasn't really played like a star, but his versatility and 6-8 frame makes him very intriguing.

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 597 Posts

Good to see Oladipo getting some props. It's been awesome seeing his game develop every year. He is super nice too, when I was at work carrying an air conditioner he waited for me at the door for like 30 seconds and held it open for me, lol. He will make a team very happy soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MGMT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

I'm just afraid that we won't get a shot at Alex Len if we end up wanting him because he is doing so well. He is a complete big man, it seems. I'm guessing we'll need a top 5 pick to get him.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...uard_mich.html

Syracuse University basketball player Michael Carter-Williams was seen shoplifting from Lord & Taylor at Destiny USA late Sunday afternoon and paid the store a $500 fine to settle the matter, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Carter-Williams put a bathrobe and gloves into a backpack while in a fitting room, both sources said.

According to one of the sources, store security saw Carter-Williams go into a fitting room with merchandise and a backpack and then leave the fitting room without the merchandise visible. The activity was captured on the store’s security video, the source said.

The security staff at Lord & Taylor detained Carter-Williams as he left the store on the second level of the mall.

The security staffer handcuffed Carter-Williams on the escalator. Photos of Carter-Williams and a plain-clothes security officer circulated on Twitter within minutes of the episode.

Both sources said Carter-Williams signed a form acknowledging the theft and paid the fine with his credit card. The store did not call police and he was not charged.

On Tuesday, Carter-Williams, a sophomore point guard for the No. 4 Orange, told The Post-Standard “the whole thing was really a misunderstanding.” He declined to explain the misunderstanding.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim repeated that Friday.

“It’s a misunderstanding,” Boeheim said. “That’s what I was told by Michael. Michael has told me exactly all he needs to tell me. It’s his private business. He settled it. I’ve got to respect that.

“I don’t know what information you have,” Boeheim said. “Unless the store comes to me, my hands are tied.”

Boeheim declined to make Carter-Williams available Friday. “He’s said all he’s going to say,” Boeheim said.

Lord & Taylor’s loss prevention manager, Greg Campbell, declined comment when reached Friday afternoon.

A mall security official says Lord & Taylor’s handling of the matter was typical.

Syracuse police are called to Destiny 300 to 400 times a year to charge people with petit larceny for shoplifting, said Tim Erwin, director of security at the mall. But most shoplifting cases never get that far, he said.

If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” Erwin said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.

Loss prevention officers can’t stop someone unless they’ve witnessed the larceny, either on video or in person, Erwin said. They can’t detain someone only on the grounds that they’d seen him come into the store with an empty backpack and leave with a full backpack, he said.

Carter-Williams admitted that he stole $120 worth of merchandise, according to one source. The items included a Polo Ralph Lauren bathrobe priced at $85 and a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren gloves valued at $35.

Lord & Taylor’s store policy dictates how to deal with shoplifters, according to one source. In most cases, the police are not called. Instead, a person who admits to shoplifting must pay a civil fine. The fine is five times the value of the merchandise with a cap at $500. When the fine is paid, the accused is released. Shoplifters are not allowed to keep the merchandise.

Since the value of the merchandise that Carter-Williams is alleged to have taken was more than $100, he paid $500, according to one source.

Carter-Williams is also banned from entering any Lord & Taylor store for the next two years, one source said. The store photographed Carter-Williams.

Thanks

Mind as well try to make the playoffs, all these guys outside the Top 3 of Noel, Len, Shabazz sound like shit. They either can't drive, can't shoot, aren't big enough, or have no All-Star Qualities.

SideNote: OKC will flip that Toronto pick, because this draft ughhhh.

Rising Star
    Thanks

or suck bad enough to get a top 3 pick. Cavs have played that game before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Futuredome View Post
    or suck bad enough to get a top 3 pick. Cavs have played that game before.
    Our number seems to be stuck on '4' for some reason

Thanks

#3 Cleveland: Ben McLemore. 6-5, 195 SG Kansas. Freshman.

This is what nbadraft.net has us drafting. Anyone been following Kansas? Where the hell did this kid come from? No where to be seen before this update 6 days ago. Can't see us going after another SG with our first pick.

Poythress, Len or Muhammad for #3 please.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to UncleDrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDrew View Post

This is what nbadraft.net has us drafting. Anyone been following Kansas? Where the hell did this kid come from? No where to be seen before this update 6 days ago. Can't see us going after another SG with our first pick.

He will get compared to Ray Allen, probably more accurate with him than it was with Beal.

An under the radar guy to watch from Tulane is Josh Davis, sneaky athletic/explosive imo.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...541/josh-davis

Thanks

What do you guys think about Ohio states deshawn Thomas. He had a big second half tonight. Finished with 21 and 9. Guy can flat out Score.

Seems like he is a tweeter though. But he can light it up in a hurry. He made 6 shots in a row tonight. He can just Score.

Also what are y'all thoughts on Aaron craft as well??

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 597 Posts

DeShaun Thomas will be a decent bench scorer at best, Imo.

Aaron Craft is going to be a surgeon, not an NBA player.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDrew View Post

Id be stoked if we drafted McLemore with our first pick, he'lll be flying up draft boards by the end of the season. I can't see us picking up another gaurd but it would be a really good pick if we did. Bill Self says he's the best player he's ever coached

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionWaters For This Useful Post: